Fan Switch

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
Looking for input on the manual fan switch mod. Anyone here done it on their Cobra? Does it make a difference? This overheating bullshit is gettin to me!

Thanks
Alex

Alex_96Cobra

Established Member
Honestly not a whole lot of anything except research. Flushed and refilled the cooling system, 50/50 which for Southern California is 'supposed' to be right. I was gonna change the thermostat to a cooler one but from what I have read that doesnt do a whole lot since it is computer controlled and wouldnt open completely till the computer tells it to. I dont have the $$ to change the radiator. Not sure if the computer can control when the fan comes on (I've heard differing opinions on the subject) But this manual switch thing can be accomplished with minimal $$ outlay and can cool me down between runs at the track and in stop and go traffic on these warm So Cal days.

Thanks,
Alex

PS I dont think the Cooling TSB has been done since I have the right hand portion of the 'fan shroud' which was supposed to have been taken out if it had been performed.

Any experience with the manual fan switch?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You're right about the cooling TSB not being done.
I'd lean the mix up in the summer, alot infact.
If you can't get the TSB done the fanswitch is almost a must, for the money anyway.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I've done it and it's a MUST for SN95's! It's realitively easy too...
They have a "how to" on Mustangworld.
For me, I went and got another factory fog light switch and popped out the useless coin holder and used that spot for my manual switch. It's great for the track or hot days cruising such as it has been. :thumbsup:

Alex_96Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys, I just really hate doing any type of eletrical work on cars, I always seem to screw it up. I bought a Soldering iron this weekend maybe that'll help with my connections, but I know I've already got a short somewhere in the car as my turn signals and brake lights dont work and all the fuses check out. ARGH! One more question; when colling the car between runs at the track would I just leave the fan on or would the car have to be on too? If the car is off wouldnt I just be cooling the radiator with the water/coolant not circulating? Thanks again

Alex

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I soldered my connection also... no worries then.

You can leave the fan on w/the car off, but only for so long cuz it will drain the batt. (been there, woops). And yea, really it is only cooling the rad at that point, but with your head over the nose (hood up), you can feel the fan seems to help blow heat off the motor too... but don't let it go long w/out the car running.

Users who are viewing this thread