Fancy dressers, need some advice

rust0r

Established Member
I have some formal business events to attend and am looking for some TIE suggestions to wear with a black shirt and a black pin-stripe suit. I normally don't post stupid things like this, but I'm having a really hard time deciding.

Pics would be helpful as well

For those wondering, PIIHB is not a tie option :beer:

Make me look snazzy!

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Go with a dark red tie. Don't go goofy with some stupid design or raindeers on your tie. Simple = better

txyaloo

Established Member
Your first mistake is wearing a black shirt with a black suit. Are you trying to look like a guido gangster?

Wear a white or blue shirt, and then the sky is the limit for ties. Go look at the ties most high end mens stores sell and base your decision on that.

239K_Black_enlarged.jpg

242K_Brown_enlarged.jpg

164K_Blue_enlarged.jpg

Last edited:

rust0r

Established Member
Go with a dark red tie. Don't go goofy with some stupid design or raindeers on your tie. Simple = better

Haha, I definitely stay away from that shit, I usually feel as though I look the best and receive a ton of complements on my choice of shirts and ties, but I'm all out of ideas.

I'm open to more than just black, but it was just something different really.

rust0r

Established Member
Your first mistake is wearing a black shirt with a black suit. Are you trying to look like a guido gangster?

Been googling some pictures and now that you say that I can't help but lookat them and think that haha. I see what you mean, I hadn't thought of the "thug" factor of it before. Thanks

Just looking for something "different", I guess

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
If your suite is pinstriped, stear clear of a pattern on the tie. If you have to have a pattern, make it very slight and not noticable at first glance. Stick with a deep red, dark blue or even a deep purple (no, that's not gay) and it should look really sharp. Stay away from black, gray or like colors for the tie as you will overwhelm the suite.

Hope that helps!

Stopsign32v

Established Member

Wear a white or blue shirt, and then the sky is the limit for ties. Go look at the ties most high end mens stores sell and base your decision on that.

How old are you 56? lol Try something alittle different than a white or blue shirt. :dw:

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
txyaloo Your first mistake is wearing a black shirt with a black suit. Are you trying to look like a guido gangster?

You can wear a black shirt with a black suite, it's a very distinguished look.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Stay away from black, gray or like colors for the tie as you will overwhelm the suite.

I would pimp a black suit, black pants, black shirt, and a black tie. I've seen it and it looks :coolman:

But it may be inappropriate for this situation. I always dress depending on what the situation is. :shrug:

txyaloo

Established Member
Been googling some pictures and now that you say that I can't help but lookat them and think that haha. I see what you mean, I hadn't thought of the "thug" factor of it before. Thanks

Just looking for something "different", I guess

Why are you looking for something different? Unless you're going to high school prom or are in some type of creative position (marketing, advertising, etc), different normally isn't good.

Look at how your CEO dresses. That should give you a good direction for how you should dress when dressing "fancy".

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
I would pimp a black suit, black pants, black shirt, and a black tie. I've seen it and it looks

it's a good look for secret service. But off setting a dark suite with just a touch of color makes a guy look 1. sexy and 2. like he knows what he's doing.

txyaloo

Established Member
How old are you 56? lol Try something alittle different than a white or blue shirt. :dw:

Nope I'm not. I didn't say white/blue was the only way to go, just that a black shirt and a black suit is not the way to go IMO. A black shirt works with a gray suit.

You can wear a black shirt with a black suite, it's a very distinguished look.

Everyone has their own opinion. How many executives have you seen wearing that combination? In the high tech and education sectors, I can say I've never seen any.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Why are you looking for something different? Unless you're going to high school prom or are in some type of creative position (marketing, advertising, etc), different normally isn't good.

Look at how your CEO dresses. That should give you a good direction for how you should dress when dressing "fancy".

:nonono: Why would you not want to stand out? (in a good way)

jf4boogie

Established Member
I would pimp a black suit, black pants, black shirt, and a black tie. I've seen it and it looks :coolman:

But it may be inappropriate for this situation. I always dress depending on what the situation is. :shrug:

I dont think he said a funeral man.

Now, a black suit, pants, shirt, with a WHITE tie....now that is pimp.
(I'm just kidding. Please do not take my advice. Ever. On anything. Especially on what to wear ;-) )

Stopsign32v

Established Member
it's a good look for secret service. But off setting a dark suite with just a touch of color makes a guy look 1. sexy and 2. like he knows what he's doing.

Yea I would save the all black for when I have DEEEEEEEEEEEEP pockets.

rust0r

Established Member
Stand out/Different in a good way, not show up and look like a rainbow. I like the more subtle differences, probably what txyaloo is speaking of, I really do love a nice white shirt with a distinguished tie. I might just find a really nice sharp tie and wear what I know works for me (the white shirt)

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I dont think he said a funeral man.

At funerals I try to stay away from the typical black. Example when my grandmother passed away on Easter day I wore a black suit, black pants, a BRIGHT pink/purple shirt, and a black tie. I stood out like a sore thumb but I knew it would make her smile because I was trying to stay in the easter spirit. Sometimes you gotta think outside of the box.

rust0r

Established Member
Is anyone here saying to wear a green shirt with a blue tie? :poke:

Okay maybe a rainbow was an exaggeration, you know the person I'm talking about that shows up and ties TOO hard to get attention with their shirt/tie, the "look at me, I'm different', that's not the type of "different" i was specifying, txyaloo posted some of what I'm looking for to give everyone an idea. Thanks guys, interesting to see everyone's different ideas. I have always had the problem that I find something I like and won't stray away from it, I guess it's good and bad at the same time

Users who are viewing this thread