faster on with traction control on?

5ohpowa

Established Member
So a bunch of my buddies have bought new 5.0s so everyone went to the track last night (i didnt run this time, as i havent installed my barton brace yet and my car locks out 3rd everytime i ran last time lol) anyways the other three were all making passes and learning the car when one of them went with the tcs still on and out up a better time than the rest of them were doing. So my question is the tcs pretty good in these cars or is it just helping them overcome the driver mod because ive always turn everything off and give it some rpms slip the clutch and roll out.:burnout:

5ohpowa

Established Member
Damn that's crazy! Guess next time i run i leave it on. I know in the previous generations the tcs was crude and at the first hint of spin it fallsbon its face. So i should leave it on, has anyone tried sport mode to see whats to that?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Hmmm, I know with my Mach if you left the traction control on the very second the wheels broke loose the engine would shut down. I don't care if I was driving to the end of the driveway to get the mail I'd turn off the TC.

5ohpowa

Established Member
Thats what i was gettin at. This is my 25/26th stang and ive never seen anything run good with tcs on. They normally fall flat and bog,...i guess these new cars are better than most peoples abilities lol

scott_0

Established Member
I see youre from Maryland, was the track Cecil County? just curious. I never touch the TC button on my car and it spins pretty good before the nannies step in, I have to get pretty outta shape before it shuts down the power, so when I do decide to run at the track, Ill try a few runs with it fully on

alex12gt

Established Member
if you can drive shut it off and pedal into it........dont know any of you personal so a am making a broad statement but if you get better times with tc on you need to work on your launch

attz0r

On a quest
Established Member
TC helps the launch but it always shuts me down when I hit 4th gear and ruins my mph and et. I and another guy who run the same track have the same issue with it.

fordrevhead

Established Member
I havent hit the track but there's no way I would be faster with it on. Completely stock, you get about 1.5 second and 500rpm lag into both second and third, if you can shift, with the TC on. Better than older designs admittedly, but still.

I can see if you're all nervous and havent launched much your 60' could be horrible but that will only be overcome with seat time as OP stated.

Also make sure no one is getting to skip shift message. If you're getting skip shift either something is wrong with it or driver error. But, point is, the Barton bracket wouldnt help IF this is the problem. The following criteria must be met for skip shift to be enabled:

Warm engine (greater than 170 degrees F coolant)
Start from a dead stop (approx 1 to 2 secs to stabilize idle)
Vehicle speed between 15 and 19 mph
Throttle pedal less than 25% open (but not closed pedal)
Engine speed greater than 1200 rpm
1st gear validated

IMO these conditions should never be met at the track... just throwing something else out there.

5ohpowa

Established Member
Ive always ran with it off(i figured it was like the old style so i slip th clutch and send it lol) they run with it on and its worked so far for their times. And yes im in maryland we run at maryland international raceway.

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
I plan on Taking my 2013 5.0 to the track. It's got 3.15 gears what should I do while at tie track? It is an Auto sorry guys this is my first car ever. Traction control on or off?

Users who are viewing this thread