Feasibility of a diagnostic/tuning app?

tfocht16

Hi all,

I'm currently a junior in college and have moderate programming experience and recently have been looking into the feasibility of creating an application that essentially combines the functions of a diagnostic/performance data analytics app and a custom tuner such as an accessport, etc. So my first question put simply, is that possible? I'm not sure how the OBD2 port communicates with the ECM and seeing as there is already PC software out there that can flash tunes, I would think it would be possible to do from a mobile app.

Secondly, I'm trying to gauge interest in a product like this so I can see if my efforts are warranted. The aspect that I think would really set it apart is the social dimension to it. I envision having a sort of tune storefront on each user's profile where users can upload and download tunes they have or have created for others to use. Just trying to get some feedback. Thanks guys!

Swervedriver

Established Member
There are a few on the market. Google search the Torque app. It uses a cheap bluetooth OBD2 interface. There's a stand along OBD2 logger but I don't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Most people around here use SCT Livelink on a windows machine and use their XCAL or other SCT hardware for the OBD2 interface.

Users who are viewing this thread