Feb '06 5.0 M&SF Shelby GT500 article

Fourcam330

Established Member
Terminator said:
Information given was cut & pasted from the Ford service publication web-site which is regularly updated every month. That does not guaranty 100% accuracy, it's just highly unlikely to be incorrect, IMO. 03 Cobra also has the same P-T-W clearances.

Not everything printed by Ford in a manual or database is golden.
For around 8 mos. in early '01, an assembled forged '01 Cobra shortblock was under $300, months later it was rectified to the normal price of over $1000 per. Back in '97 Ford had the TQ specs for the 96-98 Cobra intake manifold in lb/ft not lb/in as they should've been--also took a substantial time to correct. A misprint in this situation may be unlikely, however, so is the actual installation of a forged piston with such little PtW by a major manufacturer that has a history of dealing with such a design.

Terminator

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Not everything printed by Ford in a manual or database is golden.
For around 8 mos. in early '01, an assembled forged '01 Cobra shortblock was under $300, months later it was rectified to the normal price of over $1000 per. Back in '97 Ford had the TQ specs for the 96-98 Cobra intake manifold in lb/ft not lb/in as they should've been--also took a substantial time to correct. A misprint in this situation may be unlikely, however, so is the actual installation of a forged piston with such little PtW by a major manufacturer that has a history of dealing with such a design.

I have no info that even remotely contradicts the printed specs, so you'll get no argument from me on anything you have stated. I also feel the ptw clearances are too tight for a forged piston in a FI application.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I'm still having a hard time believing this. Ford's used forged pistons in the past in a multitude of motors, they know how much such a slug will expand. Also, which LS motor besides the LS7 had forged pistons?

I wasn't saying the LSx engine slapped due to forged pistons. They just epxerienced severe cold-start piston slap. This occured in both aluminum and iron block models.

Ford is far from perfect. This PTW issue has been referenced enough times, and I have seen enough good tune engine destruction to believe it.

WDW MKR

Established Member
chuckstang said:
Any reason why Ford would go with anything but the same or better quality for engine internals for the gt500?? besides costs I guess. I mean its a bigger engine with a bigger blower...common sense would tell you to put even better internals in there, because at 40 plus for a car, the issues that occured with the 03s should not happen with again with the shelby.

Ford makes money... they are not in existence to provide a factory car that is built with all of the best pieces. Common sense often collides with time and budget contraints, supplier issues, contract requirements, etc. I deal with this everyday and it sucks.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Ford makes money... they are not in existence to provide a factory car that is built with all of the best pieces. Common sense often collides with time and budget contraints, supplier issues, contract requirements, etc. I deal with this everyday and it sucks.
But, making an inferior product will end up costing more in recalls, repairs and warranty work.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
But, making an inferior product will end up costing more in recalls, repairs and warranty work.

How so??? Ford isn't under any consumer obligation to build the car so that it can withstand being modded beyond its designed power level.

-RR

His Grace

Genesis 1:31
Established Member
Wow, it took some time to get at the end of this thread.

Question, I almost forgot, Is the shifter in the new stangs closer to the driver when compared to the 03/04 cobra?

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Terminator said:
..snip...
Piston diameter 90.180-90.191 mm.
Piston-to-cylinder bore clearance -0.010/+0.026 mm. cut & paste from 04 Cobra service manual.

I believe you that you got that right out of the service manual, but how can one have a PTW clearance of less than zero, (i.e., the -0.010 mm number)? The way that is written, it looks more like what the +/- tolerance limits are about some mean value. As in, PTW = X mm -0.010/+0.026 mm. Does the manual show any other numbers related to this particular spec? Thanks.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
roushraven said:
How so??? Ford isn't under any consumer obligation to build the car so that it can withstand being modded beyond its designed power level.

-RR

Even in stock form, this motor will need to handle a lot of abuse. The latest rumors are 10+psi boost. Wasn't the Terminator 8psi. Therefore, the car needs to be at least as strong as previous. Cutting cost by inferior parts could easily translate into engine failures leading to warrranty issues. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Fourcam330

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Ford is far from perfect. This PTW issue has been referenced enough times, and I have seen enough good tune engine destruction to believe it.

Ford is far from perfect, lol, that was actually my point. IMO in light of the powertrain drama back in '99-00 they also aren't dumb enough to make an error so grave as to have them replacing 15,000+ assembled forged bshortblocks.

Last edited:

kyStang1889

Ford Tech
Established Member
ford is going to have a lot af angry customers if this is the case. whipple blower on a base mustang gt puts down 440 to the wheels and has run into the 11's(11.81@118 to be exact) with drag radials. while dr's will improve the numbers i just dont see gt 500 customers being happy with the performace only being on par or less than a mustang gt and a blower.

speaking of which i would consider it a slap in the face that blower that can be purchased through frpp would be faster than fords top of the line mustang
\

you could say the same thing about a 03 gt and an 03 cobra

Users who are viewing this thread