Feb 6..New Pics of Cobra to be released

SVTNICK

Established Member
GUys..if you read the article, the car they were driving had a front bra on her..i dont think the pics in motor trend are accurate at all.. I was told alot of the body panels will be unique to the Cobra. THose pics look like a GT to me...lets wait till Feb 6.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Nick... where did you read that?...

Nevermind... I see where you read that... I think they just applied that when driving out there because of Obvious Spy Pic individuals lurking.. Those pics are not doctored... I am sure they removed them for the actual M/T Article... How else would they know the front fascia had a black splitter.

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
its nice but they should have put the FR500 engine in and let us supercharge it. it would be crazy to have a twin supercharged engine. speaking of the FR500 do they have the intake and block for sale yet.

fangstang

Established Member
01blk covert

I'm from Mahopac, NY. I was at the dealership the other day to change the oil in my cobra and I asked the guy who sold me my car about the new cobra and he said he doesnt know much about it. But I told him as soon as I get more info I will return and place an order and he said great. So I figure that its not to early to place an order. I really dont see any problems with ordering this early, I mean the car will be out very soon(May). All I know is that I'm gonna order very, very soon, and I think I decided to get silver, so it can easily blend in with traffic to avoid the bad guys, and also to sneek up on those camaros and trans-ams, oh I almost forgot, theyre not competition anymore cause they suck to begin with, I meant those zo6's!:coolman:

01blkcovert

Established Member
Originally posted by ssj4sadie
its nice but they should have put the FR500 engine in and let us supercharge it. it would be crazy to have a twin supercharged engine. speaking of the FR500 do they have the intake and block for sale yet.
Spoke with my dealer yesterday who told me that they can't write an order until the final pricing is given to them. He did say that some dealers will write an order stating "MSRP" to get potential buyers off the street. I'm gonna check with the other two SVT dealers in the area today.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
My rearend

I've officially been told orders will be taken on the 5th. Fine with me. I'll be there. I've decided to stick with this deal and go all the way. I'm shooting for a coupe. Question: are they sticking with the irs or putting in the solid axle? The above sheets say irs, but the MT article stated "rear supension: upper/lower control arms". The MT article did not make a clear, direct statement about the rearend. COULD the solid axle be there?

fangstang

Established Member
I think, and hope that ford is finally done with the solid rear axle. I mean really, its the year 2002! There is no way that Ford will go back to the solid axle on the Cobra after making a huge deal about it and then debuting it on the 99 Cobra. If they do, count me the F- out!

Wildpony

Established Member
I just read the article and it said Ford went to an iron block because it had "BAD" problems w/ the aluminum block under boost..:rolleyes: Yet they are putting in the Manley"forged" rods & better "forged"? pistons. I know this isn't a big deal to any of us and we are all glad I would think that SVT is making a 390 HP engine, but of all the postings on this site,"The Corral", or wherever how many times do you hear of a guy blow up his block?? I think Ford did it to save $$ instead of saving weight.. All said though I think Ford is finally listening to what we want on the street.. Hopefully they can pack this engine into the new design for '04 cause I read somewhere a while back that either the 4.6 or the manual wont fit in the LS chassis- hopefully this isn't SVT's "Last Hurrah" at making huge power. If the above info. was true hopefully SVT will use the Jag's 3.9 Supercharged engine which is around 400hp along with A Formula One style "paddle shifter"(5 speed )auto from either Jag or Astin Martin..:-D

SVTNICK

Established Member
Well remember that the new Stang will be based on a "shortened" version of the LS platform. It will be modified heavely like the tbirds for the New Redesigned Stang. I dont think we have to worry about Ford making it strictly for automatics or specific engines.. I have alot of faith in that we will see some fantastic machines built on this platform.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Re: Re: My rearend

Originally posted by pimpinSaleen

of what month? feb?

Yes. Feb. He said that the dealers will be given a website for logging orders on the 4th. On the 5th, the dealers can officially begin taking orders.

Gray Wolf

My dealer faxed me some info..

My dealer faxed me some official info he recieved today which included the following:

Dealers should begin submitting 2003 Cobra orders after February 4, 2002.

2003 Cobra Order Guides will be available on FDEALER.COM on Feb. 4, 2002. (This site is only for people with login access).

Final pricing will be anounced at a later date.

2003 SVT Mustang Cobra production is split into "early" and "regular" production. Current SVT dealerships will be allocated units from "early" production, running from May through August 2002.

Other info:

"With 390hp and 390 lb/ft torque from its supercharged, intercooled, 4.6L 4V Romeo-built V8, the new snake is packing some serious firepower. ... the new Cobra features ...a beefed up driveline with a new 3.55 rear axle ratio to reliably back up all that power. ... a highly-differentiated interior features an electroluminescent instrument cluster, aluminum pedals and trim and 10-way adjustable leather and prefereed suede covered sport seats - arguably the best seat ever installed in a Cobra. Rivaling the limited edition, race-prepped Cobra R in acceleration, the new Cobra has all the amenities that make it a joy to drive every day, at a price that won't break the bank."

"The SVT web site www.svt.ford.com will contain complete Cobra information and specification (except pricing) on February 7, 2002."

My salesman told me he would fax me more info on Monday and would be able to take my order on Tuseday. I put a deposit down in Nov to be first on the list for a 2002. But I guess I'll just have to get a 2003 instead :-D

svt-tmleader

Established Member
I am not sure of my allocation as of yet, but I will be happy to start taking orders today. I just won't be able to give you an accurate sale price, we don't have it yet. BTW.....if I were to get rid of my '01, I would wait until the regular production run in Sept. and get the Dark Shadow Gray. That color is AWESOME!

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by svt-tmleader
I would wait until the regular production run in Sept. and get the Dark Shadow Gray. That color is AWESOME!

Do they use that color on any other vehicles. I am curious to see what it looks like.

WildHorses

Established Member
Iron block

Originally posted by Wildpony
I just read the article and it said Ford went to an iron block because it had "BAD" problems w/ the aluminum block under boost..:rolleyes: Yet they are putting in the Manley"forged" rods & better "forged"? pistons. I know this isn't a big deal to any of us and we are all glad I would think that SVT is making a 390 HP engine, but of all the postings on this site,"The Corral", or wherever how many times do you hear of a guy blow up his block?? I think Ford did it to save $$ instead of saving weight.. All said though I think Ford is finally listening to what we want on the street.. Hopefully they can pack this engine into the new design for '04 cause I read somewhere a while back that either the 4.6 or the manual wont fit in the LS chassis- hopefully this isn't SVT's "Last Hurrah" at making huge power. If the above info. was true hopefully SVT will use the Jag's 3.9 Supercharged engine which is around 400hp along with A Formula One style "paddle shifter"(5 speed )auto from either Jag or Astin Martin..:-D
I agree with the $$$ saving argument regarding the iron block. I remember seeing the technical description of the 4.6 when it was new and they said it was a 'deep-skirted bottom end' capable of handling 650 H.P. Lets face it, if they can't keep it under $45K then the Vette will be most peoples choice....

blksn8k

Established Member
This Sucks! I just bought a new truck at the end of Dec. I wish now that I had seen some news about the 03 Cobra first. I probably would have done something stupid like keep the old truck and trade the 99 Cobra for a new one. I could probably still manage it but going from no car payment to two would blow. I suppose I will just have to wait for the next gen Cobra. :cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread