Fell in love with a 96 GT...

RedOKCIroc

Established Member
Got to drive a 96 GT Vert, 5 speed the other day... luv it luv it luv it. Now im seriously considering purchasing a used GT mustang, but not being a mustang expert, I have a few questions.

- 99+ versus pre 99: Would it be worth my while to save up some more and grab a 99+? I really dont want a huge car payment, and a good pre 99 I know I could afford. I know the 99+s have more HP, but is it REALLY worth the several thousand dollars extra? Horespower isnt everything with me, either.. so consider that.

- 5.0 HO versus 4.6 Modular: Both are sweet motors, but which would you reccomend I look for? Do any of you 4.6ers wish you have a 5.0 or vice versa?

- Modability: Like I said before, horsepower isnt everything, but I love to play with my toys. Would you say its a lost cause to modify a pre 99? I dont need 300+ RWHP, but ~220 would be awesome. What is your advice in that regard?

Thanks for reading and sorry about the length... any and all advice is appreciated.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by RedOKCIroc

- 99+ versus pre 99: Would it be worth my while to save up some more and grab a 99+? I really dont want a huge car payment, and a good pre 99 I know I could afford. I know the 99+s have more HP, but is it REALLY worth the several thousand dollars extra? Horespower isnt everything with me, either.. so consider that.

The pre 99 4.6 will run right up there with the 99+ with the head and intake swap.

- 5.0 HO versus 4.6 Modular: Both are sweet motors, but which would you reccomend I look for? Do any of you 4.6ers wish you have a 5.0 or vice versa?

I have the 5.0 and would change it for the world, I'm scare of progress LOL. It took me until I got this car to even touch anything that wasn't carbed.

- Modability: Like I said before, horsepower isnt everything, but I love to play with my toys. Would you say its a lost cause to modify a pre 99? I dont need 300+ RWHP, but ~220 would be awesome. What is your advice in that regard?

See my first reply. Personally I've never done any work on an OHC engine so I can't really say.

khaine

Established Member
get a 99 up car, they have better power off the top, unless you wanted to go to the expense of doing a head and cam swap on it. The advantage to the 5.0HO is that it has tons of parts available for it, the 4.6 has a large # of parts, but they aren't cheap, that's the problem with using a motor that's only been as a high HP application for the last 7 years versus the last 30+ years...

Users who are viewing this thread