Fender rolling

B14CKL15T3D

Established Member
Has anyone tried to roll their fenders using a wooden bat and heat gun with success? I really don't want to buy a $200 fender roller or have some aftermarket shop do it for $100 ea and risk them not doing it correctly. I only need the one rolled so that's why i don't want the actual fender roller.

P Weave

Established Member
I took off my wheels and put a rag on the parts of the fender I wanted to roll (to protect the paint) and hit it with a hammer... Worked perfectly and it didn't distort the body line of the fender.

Jefe

Established Member
Check craigslist, theres a guy here that will rent his out for like $20/hour

2004TBV

Living the dream
Established Member
I just did mine and they came out pretty good. I used the Eastwood Fender Roller that a buddy sent me. I do not recommend using a bat, that is a bad idea. Either spend the money and get the roller, or find someone to do it for you. Make sure you heat that fender up real good. I got a little cracking on mine, but part of that was due to the fact that when the tire caught the fender on a bump in pulled the lip of the fender down so the metal and paint was already a bit stressed. It didn't happen to the other side so that is the only logical explanation for what happened.

98SaleenSnake

Established Member
I took off my wheels and put a rag on the parts of the fender I wanted to roll (to protect the paint) and hit it with a hammer... Worked perfectly and it didn't distort the body line of the fender.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Just as long you don't bash the hell out of it you should be fine. 200 bucks ppppsssss I could think of a lot more parts I could throw at the cobra. Hahaha

Rob_Stylez

Established Member
Bat/hammer sounds risky, just check FB, Craigslist or just Google it. Theres bound to be someone near you that will rent it out or do it for you. Theres a local guy here literally on FB that does it for any car and charges about $40 to do it... He rents it out for $20 too.

Bigggy

Established Member
You don't trust a shop with the proper tools and you want to do it with a bat? doesn't make sense to me.

weaselp1

Established Member
I would highly suggest not using a bat...fender rolling is something that is done once ....do it the right way OP. Just my 2 cents

SpectorV

Established Member
I would rent a roller or find a local shop to do it (cost me 75 bucks to have mine done with an eastwood roller). They generally wont be flat rolled anyway, the spot welds make it lumpy~ just fyi, also dont do a full roll that will stretch the paint just a half roll of the lip (about 45 deg from its starting 90 deg position) heat gun wasnt needed on mine (was hot anyway) but its best to keep it 100-120 deg i think (no more than 120 so they say but double check that)

B14CKL15T3D

Established Member
You don't trust a shop with the proper tools and you want to do it with a bat? doesn't make sense to me.

Let me elaborate on that, there is a place I found that will do it but I haven't heard of a single person that went there that had a good experience. Also I think it's a bit much for $100 per fender...

B14CKL15T3D

Established Member
I went to a different place that would've charged about $65 per fender but when they looked at it they said that they wont do it because of the double steel, he is worried about warping it so they won't do it. I found another place that will "pinch it" and seal it so it's completely flush with the inside of the fender but will cost me $500 (and that's just the rear drivers side). Does anyone have any other ideas?

Bigggy

Established Member
Let me elaborate on that, there is a place I found that will do it but I haven't heard of a single person that went there that had a good experience. Also I think it's a bit much for $100 per fender...

I agree on this. A shop did mine but I had good reviews.

I went to a different place that would've charged about $65 per fender but when they looked at it they said that they wont do it because of the double steel, he is worried about warping it so they won't do it. I found another place that will "pinch it" and seal it so it's completely flush with the inside of the fender but will cost me $500 (and that's just the rear drivers side). Does anyone have any other ideas?

I think I paid 60$ per fender and they said that it was a PITA comparing to Japs car. They did it with the Eastwood tool + heatgun. The best thing is to rent the tool, heat the fender and the most important..take your time.

B14CKL15T3D

Established Member

Don't want to buy it, and as far as the rental on ebay goes, I'm not about to fork over $200 as collateral to someone that I have no idea who it is. Just looking for alternatives. I'm in Niceville FL, so if there is anyone near by me that would be willing to do it just name your price.

Users who are viewing this thread