Few questions about L's

04TorchedSVT

Established Member
So I have been looking into getting a L and have a few questions. I really need to know if they would be a good truck to pull with? I have a fox and 18ft open trailer that I race with. would the L have enough cooling and suspension to pull a trailer and car. Also anything I need to look out for on these trucks. certain problems or issues with the trucks.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
HP won't be and issue, the transmission is out of and f250 no problem there, the rear may only handle 1'000-1'400 lbs. I would say the L should tow nicely. Heck beef up the rear leaf springs and she'll hall with the best of them.

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
A fox and open trailer shouldn't be a problem. Gas mileage sucks when towing so you may want to keep that in mind. You can add helper bags to level out the truck if the rear sags too much. They come with a tranny cooler that works well, but lots upgrade to the f-250 cooler.
Not too many issues with the L besides the intercooler recall and 4 thread heads. Go for an 03-04 and you wont need to worry about that.
I regularly tow a 25' RV that weighs roughly 5000 lbs + all my shit in the bed of the truck.

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
^^^^ +1 on all that has been said above already.

Lots of people I know with L's tow regulary and some tow a lot of weight. Only thing I would add would be to consider changing the fan to an E-Fan, add an aftermarket IC tank to hold more fluid, & upgrade to a Dual Pass Heatexchanger.

Check out this site and thread to see some L's hard at work

[ame="http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71861"]Pics of your Lighning as a workhorse - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com[/ame]

Last edited:

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
The previous owner of my Lightning towed his 87 Mustang coupe on an open hauler all over the place to several NMRA races a year. The only thing he changed on the truck was the addition of a trailer brake controller, which should be mandatory anyway with a trailer like that.

Users who are viewing this thread