Few questions. Looking into buying a L

rich017

Established Member
After having my X-runner for 4 years, I am bored. For a while now I have been interested in selling and buying a Lightning. But I have a few questions.

I am looking at 03 & 04 trucks with 60K and stock (possibly lowered). What are some issues to look out for with these trucks? Also, I have seen threads on PCV and EGR deletes. Is that something I should do right away and clean out the intake manifold and S/C after I do that? I am new to the boosted scene and I have no idea how much the PCV and egr clogs everything up.

Whatever I get will be a DD and I'm in FL so it get's hot. Shortly after, I will be getting a pulley, intake, exhaust and tune and whatever else I need, but have no clue what to get because there seems to be so much stuff. I'm coming from a small community with the x-runner so I am used to having only 1 or 2 vendors that makes stuff for my truck.

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
There are alot of guys in the Orlando area with L's running around. Join up on some of the other boards, specifically lightningrodder and you will find more then enough info on there and from the guys in your area. I am up in Tallahasssee so I hope to see you at some GTG's that we through here in FL & GA. Specifically Souther Truck Shootout at SGMP Nov. 18-20...check it out at Southern Truck Shootout

As for what you are asking...I would recommend the following to start:

1) Oil Change
2) Transmission Fluid Change
3) Since your in Fl and south, chage your Intercooler & radiator fluid to Distilled Water & Water Wetter...you will see cooler temps (You have two systems, so if you unsure on how to do this, shoot me a PM or email me at [email protected])
4) Pull the supercharger to check the plugs, regap/replace if need be
5) Pull the intercooler and clean with CRC brake Clean (Green Can)
6) Install an Oil Seperator if it doesn't already have one.

Start with that and then go on from there. Hit me up or anyone else who has a L or like me a HD and we can guide you along.

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
Things to look out for is pretty much the same as any other vehicle:

Severely worn out tire
Oil residue on motor
Rust (specially underneath)
Any aftermarket parts on the vehicle (if so, what are they)
Cleanliness of the entire truck, inside and out (including engine bay)

Best thing to do is find a truck, take lots of pics, and then start posted up on another forum like lightning rodder for us to look over for you...or perhaps get someone who is local to your area to go out and look at it in person with you.

We do it all the time and will critique it like crazy...also, we may know the truck and the history.

hope this helps

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
what oki said..If the truck is modded know what has been done to it and the tune. Dont want your "new" truck blowing up on you. The PCV delete will help keep the intercooler clean and the EGR with make plug changes easier. Plugs are still doable with EGR intact. These mods may affect your emissions so research before you do so. GL

funair02

Established Member
6) Install an Oil Seperator if it doesn't already have one.

No disrespect, but I am perplexed why this mod is done. Oil begins to evaporate at 250-300 degrees. This happens quite frequently in our trucks. So evaporated oil will bypass your separator and enter the intake regardless. Then since the intercooler is about 200-250 this oil will end up on the intercooler by condensation anyway. Also since the intercooler will heat back up with heavy use, this oil will once evaporate again, hence lowering the temp of the intercooler...

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
No disrespect, but I am perplexed why this mod is done. Oil begins to evaporate at 250-300 degrees. This happens quite frequently in our trucks. So evaporated oil will bypass your separator and enter the intake regardless. Then since the intercooler is about 200-250 this oil will end up on the intercooler by condensation anyway. Also since the intercooler will heat back up with heavy use, this oil will once evaporate again, hence lowering the temp of the intercooler...

This is one of those topics where you have all kinds of different opionons. Don't get me wrong, I respect all sides and say do what you feel is best.

Only thing I can tell you is I bought my truck and it had 28K miles on it. Pulled the intercooler and it took 6 cans of green CRC to clean that sucker out. Installed the oil seperator.

Blew that motor up with 59K miles on it. Tore the motor apart to see what was salvagable to sell or possibly re-use. Intercooler was super clean...only took 1/2 a can of green CRC to clean.

I like having an oil seperator for the reason of it not allowing oil to collect and dirty up the IC to help with heat. Many guys who never cleaned their intercooler saw higher temps prior to cleaning and lower temps after cleaning w/install of oil seperator...myself included.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I'm with oki. There may be math & theory to look at, but years of results speak for themselves. Hundreds of guys went thousands of miles with their Lightnings and started losing power. Pulled the blower, the intercooler was oil covered. Cleaned the intercooler and power was instantly regained. It has just simply been proven and documented that oil that builds up on the intercooler does indeed raise IAT temps and lower HP. It has also been proven and documented that even the cheap oil separators work. I am a good example of that. I bought my Lightning from the original owner who installed a cheap oil separator at a very low mileage. I tore the motor apart at 85,000 miles and the intercooler was as clean as a brand new one.

Users who are viewing this thread