Figuring out a proper tip

70Maverick

Established Member
On vacation this weekend and got to thinking about tipping. I know these days the minimum tip for acceptable service is 15%. My question is this even though it sounds cheap.

So we had a $53 dinner and for the record I gave 19% because I thought that is what it was worth. However, let's say we ate at a dive like a Shoney's or something similar. The bill would have been $21. 19% would be a much smaller tip obviously. I don't get the whole percentage thing. Are you saying there is no way the skank at Shoney's could have provided service as good as the gay guy that served us our $53 dinner? Seems to me the tip should be based on the level of service, not the bill???? :shrug:

I know some people tip the person who cuts their hair. I don't have that problem.......(no hair, LOL). Do you tip them 15%? How about an efficient taxi driver...15%? Where did that come from? I think great service at a restaurant......ANY restaurant should depend on the level of service provided. What does the bill have to do with anything?

I don't know if it matters, but I did work in the service industry once. I was a bus boy at a hotel restaurant and we never got tips. Occasionally if I did room service an old saggy woman would want to "tip" us but that doesn't count.

:beer:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
:shrug: Huh?

It's a pretty easy concept to get a grasp of.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I mean, if you get so particular as to figure out 19% as opposed to whole even numbers I really don't know what to say. You act like 19% is a lot.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
My tips are based strictly on service... I've tipped upwards of 50% (if youre going by percentages) for good service.... And left no tip with bad service. Jusy depends on how happy I was with the service they provided.

I do go by the standard 15-20% structure.

Last edited:

70Maverick

Established Member
I mean, if you get so particular as to figure out 19% as opposed to whole even numbers I really don't know what to say. You act like 19% is a lot.

Alright. Let's try this again. How about READING the thread instead of just the title and assuming you know what I am asking. You are only making it worse.

EDIT......seems like others are getting it..hint, hint...........

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I always tip very well. at least 20% even if the service isnt good. Servers hgere make 2.13 an hour i will always help support their kids/meth addiction.

saleen2002

Established Member
i base if and when i leave a tip solely on quality of service provided. weather it be a hair cut, dinner or what have you....

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I always tip very well. at least 20% even if the service isnt good. Servers hgere make 2.13 an hour i will always help support their kids/meth addiction.

I used to think that way and do that as well. I can tell you right now that there is a problem with service in general and that train of though is only perpetuating it.

I tip 15% standard. I am VERY simple. Refill my drinks when needed and it goes up to 20%. Never refil them, you are getting less. Talk to my party, reccomend things that are GOOD, not the specials, and do the little extras and there is no limit on what I will tip. Being hot and stupid is not a bonus.

BTW, I worked for several years at basicaly every level of restaurant in almost every capacity.

Incompetent people can bother me, but people that are incompetent after working at a place for three months risk personal injury being near me.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I used to think that way and do that as well. I can tell you right now that there is a problem with service in general and that train of though is only perpetuating it.

I tip 15% standard. I am VERY simple. Refill my drinks when needed and it goes up to 20%. Never refil them, you are getting less. Talk to my party, reccomend things that are GOOD, not the specials, and do the little extras and there is no limit on what I will tip. Being hot and stupid is not a bonus.

BTW, I worked for several years at basicaly every level of restaurant in almost every capacity.

Incompetent people can bother me, but people that are incompetent after working at a place for three months risk personal injury being near me.

Why else would I go to hooters? Their chicken wings are good.... But still... Hot women who show a little skin is a huge plus in my books AS LONG as they are a good waitress. :lol1:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
The percentage to tip is a guideline; I have occasionally gotten such good service at a "cheap" restaurant, that I left a tip greater than 20%. And told the manager how much I appreciated that particular server. That's the other half of tipping - if you get good service (or an especially good meal), by all means tell the manager in addition to leaving a good tip.

At sushi restaurants, I also tip the Itamae.

Ironhand

Banned
Im a cheap bastard. I use the drive thru to avoid giving tips. Unless its at the house but thats a completely different tip. Sad thing it will still cost me...! lol

cobra22psi

GOD LIKE!
Established Member
i will always help support their kids/meth addiction.

:lol:
I strictly tip on service. This goes for anything, I once tipped an ice cream scooper 50% because the order i placed was for 10 people and was complicated and the kid did his best and got it correct.

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
I worked serving at restaurants for 3 years before I joined the Navy, so I know how the system usually works. I know how to wait tables, and how long it should take. Unless you REALLY screw up, I will never leave less than 10%, even if you suck a big one I will usually leave something. But anything above that is all service based. Everything starting from table cleanliness to the farewell. I've given 50% on a $80 ticket before, just all depends on the server. And how much I've had to drink lol

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Here we go:
20% is my norm.
If my bill is under 15 bucks I'll throw a 5 down if service was good.

I'm very easy to keep happy though. My drink should never be empty and dirty plates should be taken away instantly and without talking.

There is more but that's based off the server's attitude and sense of humor.

Oh and titties play a massive role

Ironhand

Banned
Here we go:
20% is my norm.
If my bill is under 15 bucks I'll throw a 5 down if service was good.

I'm very easy to keep happy though. My drink should never be empty and dirty plates should be taken away instantly and without talking.

There is more but that's based off the server's attitude and sense of humor.

Oh and titties play a massive role

Fixed for ya.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
This is why I loved Okinawa...tipping is disrespectful there and the waitresses and others in those types of jobs are paid accordingly. They do their best no matter what.

With that said, Im kinda a stingy tipper, 15% means you did good. I really wish restaurants would pay their people higher and not expect tips, would simplify the whole system.

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Example... for me...

Wife and I had some drinks and then dinner at a very good Mexican establishment
this past evening...

Bill was 40 bucks and we gave the waiter a 10 spot. He was pleasant, spoke good
English, believe it or not, hustled the table clean when plates were done, and glasses
were never empty. He also stuck around when the food came to be sure that it was
good before he walked away...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread