filling transmission fluid

89lflores

Established Member
03 mach I'm trying to change my transmission fluid (manual) people say you can fill it through the top of the shifter ? My question once you take the whole unit off , do you just poor it down?? Iv been trying to find video to help me cause this is my first time. If you guys have a link to video that can help me would appreciate thanks

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Yes, just remove the shifter and remove the fill plug on the side of the trans. Fill unitl it comes out of the fill hole. Make sure car is level.

4v_mach1

Established Member
There's also a fill plug on the top right, you can just put in a clear tubed hose and pump the fluid through there, but if you don't have that then the shifter will work as well.

starnsey

Established Member
There is a lot of discussion about this, but most people will agree to not fill up to the upper plug. Drain the fluid from the lower plug, re-install, remove shifter, and pour the fluid into the shifter hole.

But only pour 3.2 quarts in. If you fill up to the drain hole it will be more like 3.8 quarts. Ford released a TSB after some time that changes the fluid capacity called out in the owners manual.

Users who are viewing this thread