Finally did it...

fa110ut

Established Member
Some of you guys might recall my thread asking about what kind of a bike to get and what the best way is to go about learning how to ride.

Well, I finally picked up my bike. It's a 1996 Suzuki Katana 750. Nothing special, but it looks nice. Plus I got it for a steal, and he threw in his helmet + jacket + gloves at no extra cost.

It's ironic how one full year of insurance for the bike is just $20 more than one month of the 'stang...

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
+1 on the safety! Your learning plan sounds good to me. Start riding with your friends once you at least get the hang enough to function on public roads. Personally I don't own a bike, but my buddy recently got his first one and that's how he improved quickly.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
good job and cool deal with the gear!

your friends will be great for when you drop it in the parking lot, they can all point and laugh. it really helps the learning process. i was lucky, i have miles of country backroads at my disposal so i just went riding out there.

and yeah, the best thing to do is go on a ride with another experienced rider and try to pick up on what he does, when he changes lanes, what side of the lane he rides on in different traffic scenarios, etc.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
Some of you guys might recall my thread asking about what kind of a bike to get and what the best way is to go about learning how to ride.

Well, I finally picked up my bike. It's a 1996 Suzuki Katana 750. Nothing special, but it looks nice. Plus I got it for a steal, and he threw in his helmet + jacket + gloves at no extra cost.

It's ironic how one full year of insurance for the bike is just $20 more than one month of the 'stang...

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

congratulations and happy new year :beer:

btw, i pay less than $20 a month to insure 3 fast bikes......

Last edited:

fa110ut

Established Member
Got back from the New Year's party and felt pretty wired so I decided to take the bike out for a bit and get a feel for it. What I originally intended to be a quick trip down the road to an empty parking lot turned into a 40 mile trip around the city.

Everything just kinda fell in place. Got a feel for how the bike shifts, how its weight is distributed, how it turns, etc. Haven't laid it down yet. :p

Granted, there was hardly any traffic. I don't plan on dealing with traffic situations for quite some time...

So, all in all, great first experience. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread