FINALLY Got My 13PSI Whipple Cobra Tuned By Apex Motorsports In CA.

ArcaneParadise

Established Member
Hello...

Kind of a long story... But basically I had a Whipple installed last summer and I used an Internet Tuner for the tuning... The tune came out extremely bad. IE at 3000RPM the AFR was so rich that it was off the charts (below 10).

I had about 480rwhp and 390rwtq (yikes!) from tune that the Internet Tuner sent me. (Remember, this is on a 13 psi Whipple with all supporting mods.)

So FINALLY I got my car into Apex Motorsports, in San Jose, CA this morning.

They got a new tuner, George, and I prayyy to the goooood lord that he sticks around in case in need another tune.

Anyway, he did an absolutely AMAZING job. He fixed the AFR, the car runs GREAT (wayyy better than it did before), and I finally have some peace of mind that my car's computer is happy.

Here's the dyno sheet below. Sorry it's so big but that's the only res that the numbers would show up on. If anyone at Apex happens to see this, thanks again to Chris and George for helping me out big time!!!!!

Results:
~545rwhp
~480rwtq
(Rounded down)
Also this is on 91 Octane. ^_^

img1608la4.jpg

Here is image link if it does not show up.

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/9441/img1608la4.jpg

Last edited:

MY DREAM

Established Member
I can't see the chart, but you listed 545rwhp and 480rwhp, is that supposed to be 480rwtq? What are your supporting mods?

James

ArcaneParadise

Established Member
Total Engine Mod List (I hope I can remember all...)

Whipple W140X @ 13psi
KB BAP @ 30%
SCT 2400
Siemans 60lb Injectors
LFP Radiator (<3)
Billetflow TB
KN FIPK
Borla Catback
MAC Prochamber
2 Steeda Oil Separators

I'm SURE I'm forgetting at least one thing but that should be mostly all of the stuff.

And ya, it was 545rwhp and 480rwTQ.

ArcaneParadise

Established Member
HUGE difference!

Before, when I'd accelerate, there'd actually be little drops in power.

So... I am at stop light, I accelerate, and the car goes, but then I feel like a small drop in power around 2K, which is really weird, and then the power picks up again. It was extremely rough acceleration and just did not feel right at all.

Now it's smooth as can be and I really could not be happier. Honestly, I have absolutely no qualms with encouraging everyone in the Bay Area to get a tune at Apex. The graph is the proof.

Just for kicks, here is the old Internet Tuner dyno sheet.

EXACT same mods.

P.S. Dyno Spot Racing DID NOT do the tuning, they just did the dyno. They are great guys.

img1612jk3.jpg

Image Link: http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7222/img1612jk3.jpg

TPSMak

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
ArcaneParadise said:
They got a new tuner, George, and I prayyy to the goooood lord that he sticks around in case in need another tune. .................. If anyone at Apex happens to see this, thanks again to Chris and George for helping me out big time!!!!!

No need to worry about George leaving.. he's going to be with us for a long time. He has a vested interest :)

RixSikCobra said:
Glad you're happy. From what I hear George is an awesome tuner.

I cannot be happier with the 180 the shop has done. I'm happier.. employees are happier.. and most important... the customers are happier:-D

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
yes, those are very good numbers. I have a pretty conservative tune that came out at 518 RWHP, not done at Apex though. Did he tell you how much timing he pulled to get that? BTW I'm in Santa Cruz.

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
WOW that's nice numbers on low boost. Just goes to show you how bad these HEATONS are. I wanna get a whipple or even a 2.6 KB

Impact 5.0

Established Member
Bullitt4110 said:
Wow, the number of Whipple/KB cobra's in Nor Cal keeps growing.
Awesome numbers! I will also vouch for George.. I took my Cobra to them when the guys from SCT came out to show George the ropes and they got it up on the dyno and could not believe the tune that was on there prior to George tuning at APEX.. said there not surprised the engine didn't blow.

Good thing I let it sit till the race bypass was put in and George tuned it... the car runs awesome now!

MY DREAM

Established Member
I am coming out to Southern Cali (Barstow area) when I get back from Iraq, my brother is going to help me install my Whipple and supporting mods. Then I will be heading up to Sacremento to do some track time at Thunderhill!!! I'm thinking that maybe I will stop on buy Apex and get a tune done thier. What do they charge for the dyno time and tune? After my brother and I instal the Whipple it will be trailerd up from thier.

James

MY DREAM

Established Member
Bullitt4110 said:
Keep us posted on when you go to Thunderhill! I love that track. I am going to try to make it up there a few times next year.

No problem, I was thier last year running with my cousin Ken Cemo White SS Camero) Now he has a 06 ZO6 yellow. Wont be hard to spot us, the ZO6 and the redfire Cobra. I am #28, I can;t rememer his number. The only bad thing is that they now have a noise limit, I run pretty much open headers so that is bad for me.

James

TPSMak

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
MY DREAM said:
I am coming out to Southern Cali (Barstow area) when I get back from Iraq, my brother is going to help me install my Whipple and supporting mods. Then I will be heading up to Sacremento to do some track time at Thunderhill!!! I'm thinking that maybe I will stop on buy Apex and get a tune done thier. What do they charge for the dyno time and tune? After my brother and I instal the Whipple it will be trailerd up from thier.

James

James,

When are you going to Thunderhill? I am the president of Norcal SVTOA and we have open track days all the time :)

We will be at Thunderhill @

May 5/6 & September 29/30

Users who are viewing this thread