FINALLY! Installing gears this weekend

98BABCobra

Established Member
Well, like the title says, I'm finally putting the 4.10's in my 98 this weekend. Will be pulling the whole rear end out of the car Friday after work and taking it to my friend's house (he has all the tools we need, press to remove/install bearings, dial indicator, etc.), and possibly start dis-assembly.

Then Saturday morning the magic will begin. :pepper:

Also will be replacing the outer axle bearings and seals and rebuilding the t-lok while we're in there. :beer: Planning on doing the alternate stacking method on the clutch packs. From what I've read and heard it's a great mod.

On a side note, I also purchased a pair of Nitto nt555r for weekend track days.

Last edited:

98BABCobra

Established Member
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm hoping to have everything set and have the gears well broken in by the end of the month, because one of the local car clubs that I'm in is having their annual cruise up through the Jemez mountains in New Mexico, so I want to be ready for that.

98BABCobra

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to it. I can't wait to get past the break-in period and get on it for the first time!!!:rolling:

97RioRedSnake

SVT
Established Member
Good idea refreshing the traction lok while you're in there, just remember to add friction modifier to your gear oil. Its going to feel like a beast when its done!

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Man when I did my 4.10s about 5 months ago it changed my whole perspective on my car. I remember the first time I went WOT through all the gears it had me screaming out the window in excitement lol you'll love it

98BABCobra

Established Member
Man when I did my 4.10s about 5 months ago it changed my whole perspective on my car. I remember the first time I went WOT through all the gears it had me screaming out the window in excitement lol you'll love it

That's what I wanted to hear. I hope I feel that same level of excitement.

Sick SVT

Established Member
not to thread jack but has anyone gone from 3.73 to 4.10? I had 3.73 prior and am getting 4.10 installed as we speak so im wondering how much of a difference i will feel. It felt like when i went from 2nd to 3rd it dropped me out of boost so hopefully this will help.

btw op you have my favorite color. I love bab! Good luck with it!

Last edited:

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
not to thread jack but has anyone gone from 3.73 to 4.10? I had 3.73 prior and am getting 4.10 installed as we speak so im wondering how much of a difference i will feel. It felt like when i went from 2nd to 3rd it dropped me out of boost so hopefully this will help.

btw op you have my favorite color. I love bab! Good luck with it!

I went from a 3.73 to a 4.10 and love it
Didn't think it would be very noticeable but I was wrong

Op get ready to love your car again, how long is break in again

98BABCobra

Established Member
I've heard 500 easy miles for break-in; however, the Ford Racing step by step instruction sheet I found gives the following break in procedure:

Break-In Procedure
STEP 1: Drive the car for at least 30 min. No spirited acceleration.
 Repeat 2 more 30 min. drive cycles
STEP 2: Check gear oil level

I'm guessing each drive cycle is a full "heat cycle" so I'd have to let everything cool down 100% between each 30 minute drive cycle.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
I've heard 500 easy miles for break-in; however, the Ford Racing step by step instruction sheet I found gives the following break in procedure:

Break-In Procedure
STEP 1: Drive the car for at least 30 min. No spirited acceleration.
 Repeat 2 more 30 min. drive cycles
STEP 2: Check gear oil level

I'm guessing each drive cycle is a full "heat cycle" so I'd have to let everything cool down 100% between each 30 minute drive cycle.

Thats about right. Also after that 500 miles I drained the gear oil and put new stuff in to eliminate the metal shavings from doing damage to the new gears.

robb15033

Established Member
Congratulations my brother! I hope it's going well for you this morning. You did great getting FFRP gear set & the FRPP friction modifier. I only use the same parts including synthetic fluids (ie:Amsoil in differential, and Mobil1 ATS in gear box). You guys convinced me to get at least 4;10's and I will do so sometime this summer. Good Luck! Enjoy!!

98BABCobra

Established Member
UPDATE: well, got the gears installed yesterday. Today ill be putting the rearend back in the car. Everything went pretty smoothly except my t lok case or my ring gear must have a little bit of runout because the tooth patten moved a little bit. It was still a good contact pattern though. I'm also guessing the gear oil had NEVER been changed because it was black and had started breaking down and left light films of sludge on all parts. Everything required extensive cleaning.

NOW READY TO GET THROUGH THE BREAK-IN PERIOD!!!

Users who are viewing this thread