Finally joined the 11 second club.

Silver 03 Cobra

I ran at Rockingham Friday night with a friend. I was going to air up my ET Streets but the last station out of town didn't have a compressor and the track didn't have one so I had to run on the 10 psi I ran on at my local 1/8 track. I never got the new Spec clutch installed and I was a little worried about it and blew my first pass. A GT outrun me with a 13.3 to my 14 something. I was very sick. My car just wouldn't not pull. I felt like it was the dump valve but I wasn't sure. My next run I ran 12.3x and I felt like the car was fine. My third run was a modded C5 with an auto trans. I ran a 12.07 to his 13.23. I told my buddy that I needed to get some air but since I was already in line would make one more run. When I got to the ticket booth the guy was looking over my time slip. He said, "You just ran 11.8". I couldn't believe it. So, after my third time on a 1/4 mile track, I broke 11's on my 12th total 1/4 mile pass. I have made a few mods since my last time on a 1/4 mile track that helped a little. After I made that pass I parked the car. I wished I had found some air and tried a pass on 16 psi. I think I may have ran a little better. Rockingham is real slick. At least this time I ran over 90 at the 1/8 mark. I am running low 7.4's at over 95.5 at my local 1/8. If I could ever get that time on a 1/4 mile track I should be mid-11's.

On the way down outside Charlotte on Hwy. 74, an SS was pulling out just as I and my buddy passed. The SS nailed it and flew up beside me in the left hand lane. He never would look over at me. I hate it when someone's screwing with you and never looks over. I watched and my buddy dropped in behind him and flew up on the SS's rear. I hollered over and he looked and I said as I motioned behind him, "Hey, you're surrounded" He smiled and pulled ahead slightly and my buddy and I got caught at a light. We caught him out of town and it was obvious he was waiting for us. My buddy was game. He's running 480/502 at the wheels. They lined up at 60 mph and he left him like he was standing still. They lined up again at 80 mph and then again at 60 mph and it was a pretty sad outcome on both runs. The SS had SLP stickers under the SS emblems on the front fenders and it had the funny spoked wheels that sort of look like Z06 wheels.

I tried to scan in the time slip but it was too light.

R/T .435
60' 1.685
330' 4.952
1/8 7.639
MPH 91.29
1000' 9.918
1/4 11.802
MPH 119.68

Last edited by a moderator:

03DOHC

Established Member
Sweet! I'd be happy if I can break 12's in mine!

Good kill for your buddy too!

Silver 03 Cobra

Thanks. I didn't think I would ever be able to drive to 11's. I knew it was in the car though. My mods are in my sig below. I was really bummed out about my clutch and had zero confidence in it. I smelled it when I was at Shadyside Dragway two weeks ago. I took it to the dealer to get the throw out bearing replaced and they agreed to install a Spec clutch. I already had the clutch and I asked them to check the flywheel. They called and said it was bad. I told them I heard the 03 FW was not available but to check. They called back and said it was and we agreed to have one shipped in the next day. Long story short, after one week and my car lain strewn all over their floor, they called and admitted the 03 FW was not available but had been changed and they could get it the next week. I told them to forget it and put the old FW and clutch back on the engine. I asked them how bad the FW was and they said it had high spots from heat. It really had me psyched out on my first launch against the GT. I think I slipped too much and then over revved and hit the dump valve. I followed the GT all the way down the track and the car just wouldn't pull. I was afraid the clutch was slipping. It had to be the dump valve.

I am running MT ET Streets. Check my sig below fro mods. I launch at about 4k with a little slip. I get no wheel hop and it usually hooks very well. My buddy bounced like a ball on F1's and he did very well Friday night on 315 BFG DR's. I haven't been out of the 1.6's since I've learned how to heat the tires. I had a 60 ft best at Mooresville Dragway at 1.607. That track hooks so well it's scary. Bristol hooks well but the 1400 feet above sea level hurts the times. I ran there one time with a 12.07 at 119 mph. Last Friday was the first time I've ran on a 1/4 in two months. I've ran on three different 1/8 tracks since and have learned a lot. But, I doubt I could ever run a 7.4 at Rockingham or Bristol.

122andy

Established Member
Congrats on the 11's! Yeh, the track conditions have kind of went to poo here recently with the weather.

I *think* I may have actually ran against you once a couple months back at the Rock on a Friday TNT night, I drive a white Galant.

Silver 03 Cobra

That was me. That was my first pass ever on a 1/4. I knew when I lined up against you that your car was serious. It didn't make me feel bad getting spanked. If I remember right you ran 11.6-8 somewhere in there. That was real impressive. I am sure you put in a lot of wrench time on your car. Have you ever run at Darlington? I'm wondering if it may stick better than Rockingham.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
For the love of mods...

I would hope you could hit 11's with all those mods...

Seems to me you should have been able to do that by cutting some weight like the Magazine guys did. They ran low 12's with almost no mods.

Silver 03 Cobra

That's not a lot of mods as far as performance, full exhaust, pulley, chip and gears(that may help me or hurt me). It takes a pretty good bit of driving and a lot of car to get into 11's. Just trying to know off a few hundredths when you are already on the edge is tough. I'd kill for 7.3's in an 1/8 but the best I can do is 7.436. That's a hair over 3 and 1/2 hundredths of a second and I'm running in the 7.3's. That's one second divided by 100 times 3.6 or the blink of an eye. But it is an eternity when you're trying to get it on the track. A 1/2 second on an 1/8 is an eternity and it takes a hell of a lot of power to improve 5 tenths in the 1/4. going from 12.3 to 11.8 is not easy.

I haven't seen a streetable car go 11's yet with only one exception. I have only been to a few tracks. I know there are fast cars out there that would blow my ass away. See 122andy above. He spanked my ass in a little Galant. He ran a 11.6 I think at about 123 against me the first time I ever got on a 1/4. You can not compare cars running at other tracks to other people's times. I know that Rockingham is slick as hell. If you look at my times above I ran 91.3 at 7.639 at the 1/8 marker and still ran 11.802. I run 7.43's all day at Shadyside at 95.6 mph on their 1/8. That track hooks. Now if I apply a little ricer math, if I run that 7.43 on a 1/4 track that's another two tenths off or more at the line and then you're looking at 11'5's. I haven't seen to many cars with my mods running 11.5's. And, like I said before, I ain't the best driver in the world but I sure am not the worst either. It is tough to obtain time on a track. I must be doing something right because my car is really getting talked about. I get mobbed at the track. And, other than the GT that beat me when I blew the launch, I have probably beaten 30-40 cars that were streetable in a row and several of them were hauled in on trailers while I drove mine in off the street. You also have to remember that the mag's probably paid to have the track prepped, they pre-stage the car at the line and cool and ice the car. You don't know what they are doing to get good times. My buddy's nephew was running his mouth about the way he was driving his 03 so he threw him the keys and told him to run it. He didn't get within a second of his times. When I first got my ET Streets I ran at Wilkesboro raceway Park. I think it's 1000 ft above seal level. It is fairly slick. I was running 7.5's and a ton of outlaw drivers were very impressed. There are SS's spraying 150-200 shots barley breaking 7.9's. I was walking back to my car and this little punk with his teeny bopper girl friend remarks as I pass kind of half heartedly because he didn't really want me to hear but trying to impress his girl friend, "Let me drive that car down the track". Bwahahahahaha. I started to walk back up to that little turd and tell him the only way I'd let him drive my car was to pull all the plug wires off and let him drive it around with the starter motor. That little puke would have that car wrapped around a tree the first day he had it and he's going to show me how to drive. It's easy to talk crap but unless you have actually ran on a track, you don't know what you are talking about. Have you been on a track Vintage. I have ran three 03 Cobras. Two with exhaust and one bone stock and it was nothing short of a masacre. I'd like to run against an 03 modded similar to mine to see how I stack up. If I were a betting man I'd bet I stack up pretty good. I'd like to see a lightly modded 03 with a little weight reduction hang with me.

If you had read the posts above you would have read two other driver's that said Rockingham is slick.

By the way, I'm running a 2.80 pulley. Thanks to all the fellow 03 owners for the positive remarks.

Last edited by a moderator:

122andy

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
That was me. That was my first pass ever on a 1/4. I knew when I lined up against you that your car was serious. It didn't make me feel bad getting spanked. If I remember right you ran 11.6-8 somewhere in there. That was real impressive. I am sure you put in a lot of wrench time on your car. Have you ever run at Darlington? I'm wondering if it may stick better than Rockingham.
I have never been to Darlington before, is it IHRA or NHRA? I mostly stick to Rockingham because I dont ever want to put a cage in the car. I did race at Commerce once in my Talon, and got kicked out. I also go to Norwalk(IHRA also) once a year for the DSM shootout. Now theres a track that friggin hooks... Parts breakage galore! I walked on the track last year and it pulled one of my shoes off.:eek: Do they hassle you at Bristol for not having a cage on TNT nights?

Yeh, I have done all the wrenchin on my car, like most guys I'm poor and I think its about the only way I can afford to do this. The car is not as serious as most people think, it still has stock rods and the pistons are (95-99) Mitsu units. Those pistons/rods are usually pretty safe for around ~500whp. I kind of wish now I would have done forged rods and pistons so I could spray it. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. ;) Its all basically the same thing as the Turbo Buicks, if the motor can take it, all you need is a big turbo, lots of fuel, and a big intercooler to make power.

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

Bristol is NHRA. When I ran the first time at the Rock the night you were there the girl told me I needed a helmet. I asked some of the guys and they said don't worry about it and keep running. She never said anything else.

When I went to Bristol a few weeks ago on a Thursday nght, I ran a 12.07 my first pass and the lady said I need a helmet. I told her that they say that at Rockingaham but don't enforce it. She told me not to come by there again without one :eek: . Then as I was driving off she told me if I hit 11's I need a roll cage. I found a helmet but I never hit 11's. Bristol is at 1400 feet above sea level. It hooks really well. I was trapping over 119. I think if I went back I can get 11's. The funny thing is about three weeks ago at the Bristol Bash a few guys with SS's I know that I met on LS1.com and run with at Shadyside in Shelby ran in the 11's and they never said anything to them and they didn't even have helmets. Go figure. They were telling me to run with a helmet and motorcycles were allowed to pull wheelies the whole length and they have ride alongs up there. I'd rather run at Rockingham. They used to let dudes pull wheelies at Wilkesboro until the night a boy fell off one and it killed him. I was there and was talking to his best friend when it happened. This is no lie. I saw it. He slid up under the gaurd rail and it took his head off. There wasn't a pint of blood on the ground I guess because it killed him instantly. He also lost a leg. My buddy went to pieces. Wilkesboro will throw you off now if you deliberately pull a wheely.

I guess Vintage is not going to reply back :burn: .

122andy

Established Member
Dont get me wrong, I am all about safety. I wear a helmet all the time at the track. Its just a personal opinion I have about street cars like mine, yours, F-bodies, etc that can run 11s, then go auto-x. These cars are much more stable than say some car that is running just as fast with 8psi in the slicks, skinnies in the front, drag suspenson in the front, etc. Ive rode in cars like that, just plain scary. Besides, in most cases a cage ruins the streetablility of the car, I have witnessed this firsthand also. My Galant just recently became our only car, so I use it everyday. It just wouldnt be very feasible to have a cage in it, considering the baby seat and all. ;) About the only street car I would ever put the cage in would be like something that is 700+hp or so, Im sure things can happen VERY quickly in a car like that. I guess thats an issue I will never have to deal with, though. :(

I always check everything on the car before I run it, just to be sure. I check the brakes, safety tie the filter on, etc. I think I am going to buy a scattershield this winter, too.

Anyway, hope to see you guys out next year, March will be here before you know it!

Silver 03 Cobra

93-03, darn good times. The ET STreets or Drags are good for 3-4 tenths in an 1/8 and 5-6 tenths in the 1/4. According to some of the outlaw dudes at the tracks where I run, they will hurt your trap speed some. From what I've seen, they are correct. I can trap a lot higher speed on my F1's but the Et's are bad because I can't get off the line. That's why I wished I could have ran mine at 14-16 psi to see if maybe if I could have gotten lucky enough to get them to hook on the line and then pay off with a higher trap.

Another thing I learned from those outlaw owners is you have to heat those ET's up properly. I made 20-30 passes and I never even put any rubber on my fenders. I kept looking at them to see how much rubber I was using and I couldn't tell I was even hurting them. The one of the top drivers in SC came up and talked to me when I was running at Shadyside in SHelby, NC. He was impressed by my car. He's running 5's and he was impressed with my car. He really thought it was one of the most impressive street cars he has seen. He said, "Hell, you are probably fsater than more than half the cars down here." He told me I wasn't heating my tires properly. We got some ice and cooled my intake. Then he went to the line with me and backed me in the waterbox and i heated the tires like he said. It was perfect. I couldn't believe how good I did. Then I made the pass and ran my best ever at 7.435 at 95 mph and I missed the 2-3 shift. I had to fish it in and dragged off a lot of speed. I would have definately been in the 7.2's. I didn't get to back it up because I blew out my header flange gasket. Shadyside is a dang good hooking track. If I could get on a 1/4 that hooks like Shadyside there's no telling what this car will run.
For awhile I thought I may have made a mistake installing the 4.10's but now I think with what I am learning, they may be fine after all.

Users who are viewing this thread