finally! n/a 5.4 dohc almost done.

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
well guys its been a while since i posted so hi all first off.its been awhile(mainly due to money.24yr old salary)in the making,but its almost done after 3 long years.

combo:
99cobra
5.4 .20 over je custom pistons 11.1comp.steel crank.eagle h-beams W/arp2000 bolts.arp main and head studs.

owner ported(light cleanup) nav. heads. cams??

the intake is a nav. lower w/ a box sheet alum. upper welded to it to accept a 99 cobra lid.(yes hood is tall!!)return fuel sys.sct tune eventually.

well its getting time to buy the valve train so here goes.

my question to some of the guys that have built similar combos is what cams/valves do u guys reccomend for such a combo? the runners in the intake are about 6 or 7 inches long,and the plennum is 3in tall x 8in wide for volume.

i was considering the fr500 kit,but was afraid of how much dynamic compression theese may have at lower speeds w/ my combo.just a thought,im open to suggestions.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
forged5.4dohc said:
i have ported nav heads(much better on a 5.4 motor)

also this is running on 93 octane.

Im a idiot, dont know how I missed that. I would contact vt etc and see if they can get you a custom grind.

coolguy10786

Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
Im a idiot, dont know how I missed that. I would contact vt etc and see if they can get you a custom grind.

+1 On a setup like that go custom. Not much more money at all. I will know how much mine paid off here in a few days.

coolguy10786

Established Member
Right around 1150 shipped, and i feel a lot better about them because the were spec'd for my application, not a generic one. They are similar to the 106400, but should make more lowend.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
My 5.4 project is running, and I am just north of you in Ft. Myers.
I am also doing a buddy in Naples' 98 Cobra 5.4 swap soon.
Shoot me a PM.
I would like to see your project.

IMG_1276.gif

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I would think before long Shelby 5.4 heads would be readily available for purchase. If KarKraft can build an adapter to put any 5.0 intake on a 4.6 then I bet a '00 R manifold could be adapted to a 5.4 of the non cobra R, GT, or Shelby, type.
Or maybe not, just mostly thinking out loud here. It is interesting to think about the possibilities. In building a HP motor to compete in AIX with, Im starting to see the limitations of the small cube 4.6l. Everything I'm doing right now, high compression and race gas is merely an attempt to try to get over 400 rwhp out of 284ci. It's all a learning process for me, an expensive one at that, but I am enjoying it! :beer:

Anthony
(785)658-5921
Midcontinent Mustangs Go Fast. Brake Faster.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
The fr500's won't do you much good, you'll want more duration, Crower stages 3's or 4's would be a decent off the shelf cam(s), obviously a custom setup is preferred. I've always been fond of a 37mm intake, 32mm exhaust setup (but you'll need new seats for the plus size exhaust)... and get a good valve job...
99COBRA2881 said:
I would think before long Shelby 5.4 heads would be readily available for purchase. If KarKraft can build an adapter to put any 5.0 intake on a 4.6 then I bet a '00 R manifold could be adapted to a 5.4 of the non cobra R, GT, or Shelby, type.
Or maybe not, just mostly thinking out loud here.
Anthony
(785)658-5921
Midcontinent Mustangs Go Fast. Brake Faster.
You could, but performance would suffer and why spend 5K on an intake and then use it on a lesser head? It'd be easy/cheaper/better to make a proper intake for the chosen head...

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
forged5.4dohc said:
i was considering the fr500 kit,but was afraid of how much dynamic compression these may have at lower speeds w/ my combo.

Because of their 109 LCs the FR500s will have less dynamic compression when compared to cams with the same wider LSAs and similar duration. Also, your cams will need lower LCs (less LSA) than those for a 4.6 because of the 5.4s lower valve/cubic inch ratio.

forged5.4dohc said:
the intake is a nav. lower w/ a box sheet alum. upper welded to it to accept a 99 cobra lid.(yes hood is tall!!)return fuel sys.sct tune eventually...
...my question to some of the guys that have built similar combos is what cams/valves do u guys reccomend for such a combo? the runners in the intake are about 6 or 7 inches long,and the plennum is 3in tall x 8in wide for volume.

Cams that would match the intake would have very long duration and probably kill power where you want it and any cams with over [email protected] is probably going to wanna peak at well over 7k. Where do you want the power to peak?

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
Have you seen the awful runner transitions in that adapter? Talk about a velocity killer.

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
na svt said:
Because of their 109 LCs the FR500s will have less dynamic compression when compared to cams with the same wider LSAs and similar duration. Also, your cams will need lower LCs (less LSA) than those for a 4.6 because of the 5.4s lower valve/cubic inch ratio.

Cams that would match the intake would have very long duration and probably kill power where you want it and any cams with over [email protected] is probably going to wanna peak at well over 7k. Where do you want the power to peak?

the original goal was 500rwhp at 7250rpm.didnt want a cam that wont idle under 1000rpm.more like 900 or so.
i havent done the heads yeat so valve size and seat angle are still in the air ,any suggestions.
ps.this car will be driven regularly,but power wont be compramised.

Users who are viewing this thread