Finally...Tints are done.

Black03COBRA

Well i got my tints done yesterdat afternoon and all i gotta say is BUSTO! it looks a hell of a lot meaner, especially on black.

I went with Limo (7%) in the rear, Limo ( 7%) on the 1/4 windows, and 35% on the passanger and driver side windows.

They did a GREAT job. The DOT Matrix is a pain in the @$$ on the rear window...i think eventually im going to get the vinyl for the DOT matix to eliminate some of the unwanted tint not sticking to where the DOT matrix wont allow it.

Other than that....if you live in MICHIGAN aroudn the Metro area...visit Eclipse tinting...they did a fabulous job. Ill pist pictures at a later date when my damn camera is fixed. Best appearance mod of the only 2 i have ( wheels and tints).

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Can't wait till the pics get posted....I bet since you have 7% on the back the sides look a lot darker

bosscobra

Established Member
Sounds great........gotta see the pic's.......are those percentages legal in Michigan? Do you have a phone number for these guys or a website? And if you don't mind what was the approx. cost??:thumbsup:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by bosscobra
are those percentages legal in Michigan?

in MI, you can go as dark as you want on the back or side rears as long as you have two outside rear-view mirrors but the law says NOTHING is allowed on the driver or passenger window....

edit: I guess my memory of the law failed me...it DOES allow a 4" band at the top of the front side windows, but doesn't limit that to a specific level of light transmission

Last edited:

bosscobra

Established Member
JB....I knew about the back and rear sides......but I thought there was a % for the "front" sides. JB did u do the tint? If so where? And would you recommend them......pm me if you need. Thanks for your help!!!! And if you did do you have pic's?

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I have 15% on back and 35% on all 4 side windows...looks good, but its illegal :p (I'll PM you with further details, bosscobra)

in my experience its the MI troopers who seem more concerned with enforcing the state law but any officer can cite you if they want to.

here's what the law says regarding visibility:

257.709 Windshields and windows; prohibitions; rearview mirrors; exceptions;
windshield wipers; exemption; hot air windshield defroster or electrically
heated windshield; windshield washer; definitions.
Sec. 709. (1) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle with any of the
following:
(a) A sign, poster, nontransparent material, window application, reflective
film, or nonreflective film upon or in the front windshield, the side windows
immediately adjacent to the driver or front passenger, or the sidewings adjacent
to and forward of the driver or front passenger, except that a tinted film may
be used along the top edge of the windshield and the side windows or sidewings
immediately adjacent to the driver or front passenger if the material does not
extend more than 4 inches from the top of the windshield, or lower than the
shade band, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield.
(b) A rear window or side window to the rear of the driver composed of,
covered by, or treated with a material that creates a total solar reflectance of
35% or more in the visible light range, including a silver or gold reflective
film.
(c) A dangling ornament or other suspended object except as authorized by
law which obstructs the vision of the driver of the vehicle.
(2) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle if driver visibility through
the rear window is obstructed, unless the vehicle is equipped with 2 rearview
mirrors, 1 on each side, adjusted so that the operator has a clear view of the
highway behind the vehicle.
(3) This section shall not apply to:
(a) The use of draperies, louvers, or other special window treatments,
except those specifically designated in this section, on the rear window, or a
side window to the rear of the driver if the vehicle is equipped with 2 outside
rearview mirrors, 1 on each side, adjusted so that the driver has a clear view
of the highway behind the vehicle.
(b) The use of a nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film,
perforated window screen, or other decorative window application on the rear
window or a side window to the rear of the driver.
(c) The placement of a necessary certificate or sticker that does not
obstruct the driver's clear view of the roadway or an intersecting roadway.
(d) A vehicle registered in another state, territory, commonwealth of the
United States, or another country or province.
(e) A special window treatment or application determined necessary by a
physician or optometrist, for the protection of a person who is light or
photosensitive, if the owner or operator of a motor vehicle has in possession a
letter signed by a physician or optometrist, indicating the need for the special
window treatment or application as a medical necessity. However, the special
window treatment or application shall not interfere with or obstruct the
driver's clear vision of the highway or an intersecting highway.
(4) Except as provided in subsection (5), the windshield on each motor
vehicle shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow, or other
moisture from the windshield, which device shall be so constructed as to be
controlled or operated by the driver of the vehicle. A vehicle licensed as an
historical vehicle is exempt from this subsection if the vehicle was not
originally equipped with such a device. Each windshield wiper upon a motor
vehicle shall be maintained in good working order.
(5) A truck with a gross weight over 10,000 pounds, truck tractor, bus, or a
truck regardless of weight carrying hazardous materials on which a placard is
required to be posted pursuant to 49 C.F.R. 171 parts 100 to 199 having a
windshield shall be equipped with not less than 2 automatically operating
windshield wiper blades, 1 on each side of the centerline of the windshield, for
cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the windshield. The blades shall be
in such condition as to provide clear vision for the driver, unless 1 blade is
so arranged as to clean an area of the windshield extending to within 1 inch of
the limit of vision through the windshield at each side. However, in
driveaway-towaway operations, this subsection shall apply only to the driven
vehicle. In addition, 1 windshield wiper blade suffices under this subsection
when the driven vehicle in a driveaway-towaway operation constitutes part or all
of the property being transported and has no provision for 2 blades. A truck and
truck tractor, manufactured after June 30, 1953, that depends upon vacuum to
operate the windshield wipers, shall be so constructed that the operation of the
wipers is not materially impaired by change in the intake manifold pressure.
(6) A truck with a gross weight over 10,000 pounds, truck tractor, bus, or a
truck regardless of weight carrying hazardous materials on which a placard is
required to be posed pursuant to 49 C.F.R. 171 parts 100 to 199 shall not be
operated on the highways at any time unless it is equipped with a hot air
windshield defroster or an electrically heated windshield or other scientific
method that is devised so long as the windshield is heated and maintained in
operable condition at all times.
(7) A licensed motor vehicle which is manufactured after January 1, 1956,
shall not be operated on the highways unless it is equipped with a windshield
washer maintained in operable condition at all times and capable of cleaning the
windshield so as to leave the driver with a clear view of the highway or an
intersecting highway.
(8) As used in this section:
(a) "Physician" means a person licensed by the state to engage in the
practice of medicine or the practice of osteopathic medicine and surgery under
article 15 of the public health code, Act No. 368 of the Public Acts of 1978,
being sections 333.16101 to 333.18838 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(b) "Optometrist" means a person licensed by the state to engage in the
practice of optometry under article 15 of the public health code, Act No. 368 of
the Public Acts of 1978.
Am. 1988, Act 470 (04/01/89)

Last edited:

bosscobra

Established Member
JB....GREAT reply. I just don't want to give the State boys ANY reason to pull me over ......forget what happens after that. I know how they work ....from experience. What would you reccommend as a good FADE % from the rear sides to the front sides? I do not want to go from"legal" on the rear sides then tonothing on the front sides......doesn;'t look cool.:beer:

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
you're right, that wouldn't look cool and neither does a 4" band at the top of the window :bash: (see my edited post above)

I don't really have any good recommendations for a fade but the guy whose phone # I'm PM'ing to you will probably be helpful.

CuLaTeR

Established Member
<------Freeking pissed! Brought the 03 cobra to get tinted. The guy tinting my car broke my winsheild. :-( The car only has 350 miles on it. Also I gave the guy 20 bucks and asked him 5 times to take care of my car and keep everyone away from it. Told him please don't scratch the car. Treat it like it was his own. My car came back to me with a broken winsheid and scratches everywhere. The funniest thing is my friend owns a car dealership right across the street from this tint shop. I went to pick my car up and the guy never told me about the broken winsheid. I drove across the street back to the dealership and what I thought was a long crease or bubble was a huge crack. Hit a speed bump on the way home and the winsheild cracked all over the place. I am anal about my 2 cars. I have a 1996 mystic cobra with 19,000 miles on it same thing with that car. Everytime I bring it in somewhere something happens to it. People just don't care.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Originally posted by CuLaTeR
<------Freeking pissed! Brought the 03 cobra to get tinted. The guy tinting my car broke my winsheild. :-( The car only has 350 miles on it. Also I gave the guy 20 bucks and asked him 5 times to take care of my car and keep everyone away from it. Told him please don't scratch the car. Treat it like it was his own. My car came back to me with a broken winsheid and scratches everywhere. The funniest thing is my friend owns a car dealership right across the street from this tint shop. I went to pick my car up and the guy never told me about the broken winsheid. I drove across the street back to the dealership and what I thought was a long crease or bubble was a huge crack. Hit a speed bump on the way home and the winsheild cracked all over the place. I am anal about my 2 cars. I have a 1996 mystic cobra with 19,000 miles on it same thing with that car. Everytime I bring it in somewhere something happens to it. People just don't care.

I would have installed my foot in that crackheads ass...Did the tint shop pay for the damage...

CuLaTeR

Established Member
Not yet! I had to file an insurance claim. When I took the car back the guy that tinted it looked totally surprised and told me they aren't responsible. haha! After I laid into the owner, they told me to do what I had to do to get it fixed and they will take care of it. They have to. My friends dealership does alot of business with them. Also my passenger side door has a long 6 inch razor blade scratch in the window. I want it replaced too. But what sucks is if any of you guys watched how these window repair guys operate. OMFG they take so many peices of the car off. I was like WTF. I couldn't watch. I actually took the car to the local Ford dealership and they overnighted a window and repaired it right in front of me the very next day.

Last edited:

holtsch

Established Member
why don't you go darker? 7% is still illegal, why not just go 5, 3, 2, or 1%? If a cop is gonna be a prick and give you a ticket for tint...he'll give it to you regardless of whether you have 7% or 5%. What kind of limo tint did you get? There's quite a few different brands and kinds of tint...i know you got limo..but can you be a little more specific? I had 5% reflective limo tint on my camaro and it was harder to see in than 2% of regular tint.

Orange Poison

Established Member
Originally posted by CuLaTeR
Everytime I bring it in somewhere something happens to it. People just don't care.

This is so true. I am extremely anal about my car. Whenever you take your car to the dealership or any where else....You're at their MERCY.....bottom line.

That's why I hate taking my car into the dealership. When ever I can, I try to stay with the car the whole time and not let it out of my sight. It takes allot of work and it's stressful.

And...this is why I have opted not to tint my windows....because they have knuckleheads doing this kind of stuff. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

holtsch

Established Member
it just depends where you take it. I know the place that did my tint on my camaro was very good. I agree about the dealerships...you just have to know where to take your car

CuLaTeR

Established Member
I should have learned my lesson a long time ago. From now on, I will stay with my car when I have to bring it in. 500 miles I am getting an oil change. I will follow the car in when they change it. I usually tip the guys well too to take care of my car. They still don't care. I gave the guy $25 bucks up front tip to keep all away and not scratch my car. The asshole must have been leaning on the front left corner panel to cut the tint. Scratches are terrible. I wanted to cry.

Users who are viewing this thread