Finishing up Roush Phase 1, Q about aspirator

TType85

Established Member
Finishing up my Roush TVS install on my 2013 GT, I only have a few things to do including hooking up the brake aspirator, putting the coolant in and waiting for the PCM back from Roush. The install has been reasonably smooth other than things in the manual that don't match on the 13-14 cars like the air shields around the radiator are held in different, there is a ground strap on the upper timing cover bolt

The car is a A6, do we really need the aspirator or can we just use a check valve like the manual cars?

Pic of where it is at now:
GaP6LEr.jpg

Can't wait to get it on the road. I already ordered a VMP tune. I will do a 82MM pully later on.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
What do you mean brake aspirator? Are you referring to the check valve on the brake booster, if so yes you do need to install it. Also, why did you send your ecu off to rousch and you are going to out a VMP tune on it once you get it back??

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

hand-filer

Established Member
It's part of the kit so why wouldn't you want it? Also if the VMP tune doesn't pan out the car isn't sitting on the sidelines.

TType85

Established Member
What do you mean brake aspirator? Are you referring to the check valve on the brake booster, if so yes you do need to install it. Also, why did you send your ecu off to rousch and you are going to out a VMP tune on it once you get it back??

I have the aspirator on I just don't understand the point of it exactly. I'm used to my buick even with vac brakes it just had the check valve.

I need the base tune from Roush for smog her in California.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Can you post a pic of the aspirator? We just installed my TVS last week on my auto 13. My kit came with a ford oem check valve that we put on the brake booster.

TType85

Established Member
Can you post a pic of the aspirator? We just installed my TVS last week on my auto 13. My kit came with a ford oem check valve that we put on the brake booster.

pcNu6si.jpg

That is what the stock one looks like. There was a elbow to a rubber line that connected to the hardline that was attached to the intake up to the front of the motor. Looking at the VMP instructions they just use a check valve vs the Roush cutting and redoing lines.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Here is a pic of the fitting supplied by vmp, we could have reused the stock hose but it would of been tight so we just replaced it. This goes from the booster to the back of the manifold
IMG_20180521_173016935.jpeg

TType85

Established Member
I ended up going that route. Got a brake booster check valve and put a cap on the intake where the other hose from the aspirator would go. Initial test drive I am not impressed with the Roush Tune. My boost gauge should be here tomorrow so I can can confirm it is making the boost it should but it feels only a little better than the N/A steeda tune I had.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
If your on the 85mm with the Roush tune it's going to be very conservative. Once you add the 82 with a VMP tune the car will really wake up. Have you considered adding a open element air filter, that enclosed box has to be a big restriction costing you some power?

TType85

Established Member
If your on the 85mm with the Roush tune it's going to be very conservative. Once you add the 82 with a VMP tune the car will really wake up. Have you considered adding a open element air filter, that enclosed box has to be a big restriction costing you some power?

I am going to go open element and 82,with a VMP tune. I had to go with the closed air box that came with the Roush over the VMP because I have to pass California smog. Roush has the CARB EO number so it is legal. I would of rather just started out with a VMP because their kit has some better parts.

It is easy to swap a pully air intake and tune to smog it once every 2 years. I have to figure out how many miles it takes to get all the ready codes set in the computer so I know when to change it over for smog.

I also noticed a nice change in the exhaust note vs running NA. I was ready to dump the Flowmaster axle back for some GT500 mufflers but it actually sounds okay for now.

OX1

Established Member
Same reason I bought mine, but I went straight to Phs 3 and got the closed air cleaner off E-bay.
Thought I read open air cleaner takes you from 10-12 PSI, using 80 mm pulley. I went 126 with
Phs 3 pulley, closed AC, and good air (base 14 GT auto with no other drivetrain mods except VMP tune), so it'll probably be like
night and day once you switch.

Funny, I just looked at your first pic, my car is exact color too.......

Holovacko

Established Member
Yes, you can run the check valve from the manual trans cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread