fiore f/w adjuster and steeda quick release quad

compcobra

Established Member
Does the steeda adjustable cable seem like a god quality piece? I am beginning to wonder if my stock cable is longer than anyone elses for some reason? I even talked to Joe from Fiore performance and he has not even heard of this. Seems strange.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
compcobra said:
Does the steeda adjustable cable seem like a god quality piece? I am beginning to wonder if my stock cable is longer than anyone elses for some reason? I even talked to Joe from Fiore performance and he has not even heard of this. Seems strange.
The Steeda cable looks fine to me. I have heard some negative things about it (and positive too, from some) but I thought it was worth a try. Only $40.

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
I have the Fiore quadrant and adjuster, both are great products and I have not had any problems, but I still have the stock clutch for now. Didnt Doug at billetflow say he was coming out with a firewall adjuster soon, or did I dream that :shrug:

Microclick

Established Member
Could it be possible that Ford made a change to a longer cable for the 04 Cobra? It seems like the 03 guys have no problems with valve cover/adjuster clearance. Outside of switching to an adjustable cable, the only thing I can think of doing is adding a 1/4" aluminum washer with a 3/4" ID between the cable flange and the adjuster screw. This will allow you to turn the adjuster screw in towards the firewall; however the cable flange will still touch the v/c. Someone on here had this idea and he also talked about filing the washer and cable flange flat on the v/c side so that it wouldn't touch.

compcobra

Established Member
I trimmed about 1/8 inch around the flange of the cable for now, which did give it more clearance from the valve cover. I am still going to try a spacer at the firewall adjuster end to make sure the adjuster has lots of clearance from the valve cover. Like Joe from fiore performance says it is like the cable is too long for some unknown reason. It is too bad you couldn't cut about 1 to 1.5 inch off of the cable and crimp a new end on. I don't really know what you could use though.

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
Sounds like your cable may be stretched a little or you have a good amount of clutch wear. This is not uncommon with those cables. Just don't buy a UPR adjustable cable, I had three to beak in less than year!! I think I posted that earlier. I used the Steeda adjustable one after that with no problems. But I have heard of those breaking too. I did use the three hook quadrant for more adjustability. My adjuster would hit the valve cover too with the stock cable and the clutch would not disengage properly. When I could adjust the cable and the firewall adjuster, my clutch finally started engaging and disengaging when it was adjusted properly. The last alternative is to replace the clutch. I opted for the cheaper route first.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
just FYI I have an 03 Cobra not 04 with the clearance problem, and the cable is not stretched as the car has hardly ever been driven and never drag raced :)

the problem never surfaced until I had the DFX, quick release and fiore adjuster installed. So it's a brand new clutch and all.

Last edited:

compcobra

Established Member
I wouldn't say my cable is stretched or clutch is worn as the car has only about 4000 miles. Not saying that there could be somethig wrong with the cable knowing ford. The car had the TOB tsb done about 1500 miles ago, no abnormal clutch wear then. Most likely I will have to go with a adjustable cable, just tired of spending money trying to get it right, kind of frustrating. I see Mcleod makes a cable but it is more money than the steeda. Is it a better cable?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
MUST READ NEWS ON THIS PROBLEM

I just got off the phone with Maximum Motorsports and they think the variances in the pressure plate cause the problem of the FW adjuster valve cover clearance, so replacing the stock cable with a stock cable would not resolve the problem, nor will changing the quadrant or with similar adjusters.

The big common factor is the DFX setup.

Some more info, a quote from a very knowledgeable person I have been talking with on this problem who has tried to help Fiore himself:

I also think it is the clutch assembly, a combination of differences in the thicknesses of the clutch disc and pressure plate are causing the problem.

A thicker disk will cause the fingers to move further away from the release bearing, all other things being equal.

So with that said, the only real solution is to switch to an adjustable cable (Steeda) until someone figures out a working mod for the stock cable for the small percentage of us.

Last edited:

compcobra

Established Member
Badboy, did the Steeda cable fit well into the fiore adjuster as the stock one does or did the Steeda cable need some modification?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
compcobra said:
Badboy, did the Steeda cable fit well into the fiore adjuster as the stock one does or did the Steeda cable need some modification?
It needed modification. The piece shown in the photo needs to be removed. Just cut the four plastic tabs off and slide it off. I used a Dremel cut-off wheel. Then, the plastic "boss" on the cable fits perfectly inside the Fiore adjuster (you need to remove and discard the plastic tube piece that comes with the Fiore if you used it).
CarStuff101.gif

YardSpecial

War Veteran X 2
Established Member
MM is the best cable you can buy, aftermarket cables are junk........ (Ford cable)

Ask the Pro's........

Buy Steeda cable lasted only 10K miles, stock one?? Try 150K miles !

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
MM doesn't sell an adjustable cable, just OEM cable and a slightly longer cable that works with their FW adj and quad

01LaserCobra said:
MM is the best cable you can buy, aftermarket cables are junk........ (Ford cable)

Ask the Pro's........

Buy Steeda cable lasted only 10K miles, stock one?? Try 150K miles !

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
compcobra said:
I imagine that this same part will need to be cut off of a McLeod clutch cable as well?
Not sure since I don't know what the McLeod looks like. Probably, because these are designed to fit the stock firewall setup.

Users who are viewing this thread