Firearm defense question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
if someone hasn't mentally prepared themselves to shoot someone they have no business owning a firearm let alone pulling one on anyone burgler in their home or not.

U omitted to quote where I said I may very well be wrong. I also never said I'm not mentally prepared to shoot someone, I said I'd be the last person to do so. obviously I'd shoot and kill someone if they had a knife to my wifes throat or a gun to my sons head. (projecting that when I have a family I would do so)

Nice try, I can't believe yor still trying

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
U omitted to quote where I said I may very well be wrong.
I purposely left it out because it was not part of what I wanted to laugh at. It is still there for other people to read in your original post.
I also never said I'm not mentally prepared to shoot someone, I said I'd be the last person to do so.
you don't have to spell it out to have said it. the part of your post that I quoted says (at least to me) that you are not mentally prepared to do so.
obviously I'd shoot and kill someone if they had a knife to my wifes throat or a gun to my sons head. (projecting that when I have a family I would do so)
you THINK you would. I have said it before that no one, including you, has a ****ing clue what they would do in any given situation until it happens.

I would like to think I have mentally prepared myself to shoot some bastard that invades my home or steals my property but only being put in that situation will I ever truly know.
Nice try, I can't believe yor still trying
this is not smackdown. I am not "trying" at all esp. since I have pretty well accomplished whatever it is you think I am "trying" already there.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I am not "trying" at all esp. since I have pretty well accomplished whatever it is you think I am "trying" already there.

All I think you are trying to do is look like a one-sided opinionist. Well glad to see you affirm that you've already done so.

If u wanna kill somebody for stealing stuff, you need help. That's sociopathic and borderline criminal.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
All I think you are trying to do is look like a one-sided opinionist. Well glad to see you affirm that you've already done so.

If u wanna kill somebody for stealing stuff, you need help. That's sociopathic and borderline criminal.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you really shouldn't express psychological or legal opinions since you obviously know little about either one.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'll stick to my guns, you can stick to sociopathic tendencies if you'd like.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Then you are an idiot. You're not the police. You do not have the "right" to detain someone with a firearm nor do you have immunity from civil liability through the castle doctrine if you merely "detain" someone. You risk a litany of charges by going that route. 99% of the population doesn't want to shoot anyone, but the second rule of firearms is never point a firearm at something you do not intend to destroy. If you're pointing a gun at someone, then you need to be ready to pull the trigger. If you're not to that point, then the gun should not have been presented.

And firing a warning shot? You may want to rethink things.

I seriously CANNOT believe there are people out there carrying firearms who do not know this. :nonono:

Satyr

Established Member
After reading up a bit more on some details of Texas gun law, I have a question: If the guy were to issue a deadly threat without drawing his knife, would a carrying CHL resident be justified in using deadly force under Texas' stand-your-ground law? I know that Ohio usually defines the allowed usable force as equal to that being threatened, but our Castle Doctrine also doesn't extend into the public setting (save for automobiles); we are also expected to attempt retreat/evasion before drawing in public. I believe Texans are not required to do this.

I guess in the end it would be the question of whether or not a guy making a threat is actually a threat without pulling a weapon...which, common sense suggests, the answer is no. Just thinking about it and the limitations of the law.

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
im sorry that I dont look forward to shooting someone. but now that I have this information it seems that if someone does break into my house i dont have many options. i did not know that detaining someone who is breaking into your house was wrong. that kinda sucks. i have a great effection for firearms(love hunting) but i don't like the thought of having to fire it at another person

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
im sorry that I dont look forward to shooting someone. but now that I have this information it seems that if someone does break into my house i dont have many options.
don't go down the rat trap that tt351 did. No one has said you should look forward to shooting someone, no one has said that THEY look forward to shooting someone. All that has been said (and not comprehended apparently) is that if you own a gun, you better be mentally prepared to use it, and don't pull it unless you fully intend to use it and you intend to shoot to kill. If you are unwilling / not prepared to do that, sell your guns because all they will do is get YOU killed.

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
and i am merely saying that i am willing. just dont look forward to it. thats all :)

edit: im not trying to start an argument or be a smart ass and apologize if i am coming off as one. all im saying is that i dont agree with the opinion or fact, whichever it may be, that if should someone break into my house my only option is to shoot them. i mean what if i draw my weapon and they drop theirs and surrender? should i still shoot them based on the opinion that i should only aim at something i intend to shoot? i think i will take my chances with the cops and detain the intruder should he choose to give up and only shoot if he attacks me or my family. i have no intentions of shooting anyone who gives up. i highly doubt the cops are going to arrest me for choosing not to shoot him and instead detain him.

Last edited:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
If the perp is in your house only shoot if you fear for your life. I would seriously doubt you will be able to detain him.
Remember if the perp has a knife, the perp can still stick you from 25' away even after being shot and wounded. So he is bought and paid for.

Satyr

Established Member
don't go down the rat trap that tt351 did. No one has said you should look forward to shooting someone, no one has said that THEY look forward to shooting someone. All that has been said (and not comprehended apparently) is that if you own a gun, you better be mentally prepared to use it, and don't pull it unless you fully intend to use it and you intend to shoot to kill. If you are unwilling / not prepared to do that, sell your guns because all they will do is get YOU killed.

Disagree with this. While under protection of the Castle Doctrine, one would not be liable for civil prosecution, and it would be up to the homeowner whether or not they deemed shooting to kill necessary. Many of us are prepared to shoot to kill, but that doesn't mean it is the only option. If some punk kid breaks into your house just to steal some stuff and has a weapon but shits his pants when you present your firearm, are you still going to kill him? Your weapon is drawn...you gonna shoot a kid that's just standing there holding a knife in the air with his hands up? You didn't know what you would be confronting when you drew your weapon, but now that you've seen it, are you going to take that life?

I'm not actually questioning you...I am merely presenting a situation where it may not be as cut and dry as you make it appear. With the adrenaline pumping as a result of the home invasion, I know that many would still shoot to kill. But if someone doesn't, does that mean they're mentally incapable of possessing a firearm?

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Disagree with this. While under protection of the Castle Doctrine, one would not be liable for civil prosecution, and it would be up to the homeowner whether or not they deemed shooting to kill necessary. Many of us are prepared to shoot to kill, but that doesn't mean it is the only option. If some punk kid breaks into your house just to steal some stuff and has a weapon but shits his pants when you present your firearm, are you still going to kill him? Your weapon is drawn...you gonna shoot a kid that's just standing there holding a knife in the air with his hands up?

damn the denseness in this thread is freaking amazing. nothing says you HAVE to use it. there is a difference in HAVING to use something and INTENDING or being PREPARED to use it. if you pull you gun with the thought that you hope to scare someone you will likely die because if you see him with a weapon you are going to hesitate, and that hesitation will get you killed.

you break into my house and I pull my weapon I fully intend to use it if I see you have a wepon and I will shoot your ass without feeling so much as a twinge of guilt. on the other hand if I pull my weapon and determine that you don't have a weapon I MIGHT change my mind about killing you, but you better make damn sure you don't move a muscle. I probably won't change my mind because you are in my home uninvited and that alone makes you a threat IMHO.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
damn the denseness in this thread is freaking amazing. nothing says you HAVE to use it. there is a difference in HAVING to use something and INTENDING or being PREPARED to use it. if you pull you gun with the thought that you hope to scare someone you will likely die because if you see him with a weapon you are going to hesitate, and that hesitation will get you killed.

you break into my house and I pull my weapon I fully intend to use it if I see you have a wepon and I will shoot your ass without feeling so much as a twinge of guilt. on the other hand if I pull my weapon and determine that you don't have a weapon I MIGHT change my mind about killing you, but you better make damn sure you don't move a muscle. I probably won't change my mind because you are in my home uninvited and that alone makes you a threat IMHO.

Ya I call bs

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Ya I call bs

You should keep this crap to the call out thread RDJ made for you. :bash:

Keeping on topic, you should never pull your firearm out to use as a deterrent or to try to scare people away. I have no idea why people think that's appropriate, but it isn't. If you are pulling that weapon out it should be because you are in imminent danger.

ParamedicMXr

Established Member

You break into my house, you are not coming out alive. Sucks for your bad luck when you picked which house to break into. I dont care if you are a punk teenager or not. I will be the last person you victimize.

Satyr

Established Member
...and I will shoot your ass without feeling so much as a twinge of guilt. on the other hand if I pull my weapon and determine that you don't have a weapon I MIGHT change my mind about killing you, but you better make damn sure you don't move a muscle. I probably won't change my mind because you are in my home uninvited and that alone makes you a threat IMHO.

So you're making that assessment after bitching to others that they don't know what they'll do/feel in a situation until they are presented with that situation? But you know that you will be able to shoot someone without a twinge of guilt? And you're calling me dense? Haha...right on, pal.

The point is that you cannot use superlatives when talking about things like this, although you continue doing so. Also, I never said that the assailant didn't have a weapon--I suggested a situation where one determines the person is surrendering.

The funny part is that I have always prepared myself to shoot to kill, so I don't actually disagree with you in that regard. However, your arguments are so pitiful that I am forced to play devil's advocate.

Keeping on topic, you should never pull your firearm out to use as a deterrent or to try to scare people away. I have no idea why people think that's appropriate, but it isn't. If you are pulling that weapon out it should be because you are in imminent danger.

Agreed to an extent. Some states do NOT have laws referencing brandishing, so if there is no legal problem with using a firearm in deterrence, should it still not be done? Do LEOs not use their weapons as deterrents/methods to scare?

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
You break into my house, you are not coming out alive. Sucks for your bad luck when you picked which house to break into. I dont care if you are a punk teenager or not. I will be the last person you victimize.

Okay, Harry Callahan.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Point number 1. I did not call you dense. if the shoe fits wear it.
Point number 2. Please refer to post 42 I think it spells out my thoughts pretty clearly but perhaps you missed it.

So you're making that assessment after bitching to others that they don't know what they'll do/feel in a situation until they are presented with that situation? But you know that you will be able to shoot someone without a twinge of guilt? And you're calling me dense? Haha...right on, pal.

The point is that you cannot use superlatives when talking about things like this, although you continue doing so. Also, I never said that the assailant didn't have a weapon--I suggested a situation where one determines the person is surrendering.

The funny part is that I have always prepared myself to shoot to kill, so I don't actually disagree with you in that regard. However, your arguments are so pitiful that I am forced to play devil's advocate.

Agreed to an extent. Some states do NOT have laws referencing brandishing, so if there is no legal problem with using a firearm in deterrence, should it still not be done? Do LEOs not use their weapons as deterrents/methods to scare?

fiveohhhstang

Established Member

LEOs aren't the same as you and I in that they go through extensive training for many types of high adrenaline situations. They are capable of handling situations far better (in MOST cases) than the average Joe out there with a CWP. Like RDJ was saying, if you pull your gun out with no intent to use it, it's possible you will hesitate and it could cost you your life. I just see no need to pull out a firearm unless you have no other way out and are protecting your life. It should always be a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread