FIRST '03 WITH NITROUS (DYNO INSIDE!!)

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Just thought I would share this link with you all. The first 03 I have seen with the spray. Check out the dyno graph: 536RWHP 644RWTQ!!! (150 shot) :burnout:Nitrous 2003 cobra

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
HOLY CRAP.

I read the thread and the guy said the belt was slipping. Supposedly solved that and will be posting another sheet. That torque is crazy! I wonder when the fuel system will get topped out.

Last edited:

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
thats crazy... did you read below?! it was dynoed with a slipping pulley. the #s are gonna be soooooooo much higher now. I'd retest it with a 100shot with the tightened pulley and belt tho..

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Does anyone know how much RWHP the stock fuel system is good for?

Last edited:

WA 2 FST

Established Member
That's crazy!! :D

Just think what it would be like if one of these guys making 450-470rwhp with boost alone were to add the nitrous. ;) It would probably go KABOOM!, but would be interesting.

I don't know how much boost this guy is running, and they said the belt was slipping...which tells me they'll have to retune it on and off the juice.

Too much boost AND nitrous is gonna make it real hairy for a street car that sees lots of varying conditions (engine coolant temps, ambient air temps, etc).

Using the nitrous as a second intercooler makes some sense, but too much of it and you are increasing cylinder pressures to insane amounts. I know Ford built the block well, but it wasn't designed for this (meaning 15psi AND 150hp shot of nitrous...I don't know what this guy is running, and it might be safe at this point). I'm not talking strength of crank, rods and pistons...I'm talking smaller things like ring gaps. Ever see a set of rings that have butted up together due to astonomical (and unforseen) cylinder pressure?

Stay safe and careful! A little caution never hurts.

Looks like gobs of fun, though!

Last edited:

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan
I agree with you WA 2 FST. How much do you think would be safe as far as a second intercooler (NOS)???

Conventional thought says to try what one other poster above said, and keep it ~50-70hp.

The real problem with going any higher is that you almost have to have two separate tunes for on/off the bottle. To me this is fine if you're only going to run it at the track, but I like my stuff to be "instant ON" and useable _anytime_.

They even mentioned blowing out the spark the first couple of pulls on the nitrous...and they were running narrower gaps to begin with b/c of the extra boost the guy is already running. You can only run so cold of a plug and a tiny gap. Eventually, it will mean fuel fouled plugs at idle/cruise...I don't have time to be working on the car all the time (do mods myself, not take it to someone else).

For the safest, most reliable combo, I'd say either 1) run substantially more boost than stock (like these guys who are at 470+rwhp) or, 2) run maybe 2-3psi more than stock AND a small shot of nitrous. Both will probably yield like results.

There are indeed a number of Lightning owners running nitrous, but 95% of them are exclusively using high-octane (100-105+) unleaded gas. Again, this is fine for a race-only environment, but not practical for everyday street driving. :)

No matter, I'm impressed that 1) someone tried all that nitrous and 2) what you guys are getting out of these '03s with what I consider to be very, very basic mods. The only thing that scares me is tuning from "long distance". I've never liked that mail-order chip concept. :(

Users who are viewing this thread