First 2011 Boss/GT starter replacement??? Killed mine today......

mtrsprt

Established Member
I know I know..... I should have known. While swapping injectors over this afternoon, a little too much fuel got down into cylinder 3 and 4. Upon firing it up, I touched the key, motor quickly rotated about one turn and I heard a "CLINK!!!!"

Yep... Locked hard enough right away to do something to the starter motor/gear/clutch/pinion. Not sure yet. Starter motor spins, but doesnt engage anything.

Gonna call around and see exactly what needs to be replaced. Putting it up on the lift in the morning to take a look.

There's a few parts listed for 2011+ 5.0L for starters/accessories, but not much. One auto parts online warehouse lists a starter "clutch", and another one lists a replaceable looking starter "pinion"...... Maybe I wont have to spend $400.00 on a whole new starter.....:nonono:

Grant808

Established Member
Ouch. Sounds like you hydrolocked...and maybe killed the solenoid. Not sure if that's a serviceable part. I'd bet on you replacing the whole thing, but I would certainly check all your connections and see if there isn't a mechanical break somewhere.

mtrsprt

Established Member
New Starter installed. All good. For those wanting to remember this...... The 05+ 3V 4.6L starters are the same as the 2011 5.0's also... Ford just changed the part # when the 5.0 motor came out. Same exact starter......

Users who are viewing this thread