First Drive: Shelby GT350 & GT350R

EditorTurner

Established Member
0 Shelby GT350 & GT350R First Drive.jpg
Hero Car
The Shelby GT350 is a road-course hero with a street-car secret identity
By Steve Turner
Photos by Steve Turner and courtesy of Ford Motor Company

From the moment we learned there would be a new Shelby GT350 from Ford Performance, we knew we were in for something special. Since that time we have obsessively learned every bit of minutia about the car that we could. The tantalizing build-up to the car hitting the streets has finally reached a fever pitch. A few weeks ago we rode shotgun in the GT350R and walked away amazed. All that was left was to get behind the wheel and experience the car for ourselves.
Continue reading →

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm curious about your Tri-Y headers comment. Was a car at LS equipped with those or was this something someone talked about?

EditorTurner

Established Member
"Oh, and if you want to add headers to your 5.2, we’ll give you a hint. Go with a Tri-Y design to maximize performance and make the car sound like it is revving even higher into the stratosphere."

The car was stock. I said "if you want to add headers." That's just a hint for you future modders.

bpmurr

Established Member
Nice write up, but nothing really new other than the GT350 is nice and the R is awesome. No official performance data (0-60, 1/4 mile and track times) from Ford. No information from Ford about the track prowess of the different packages. For instance how track capable is the Tech Pack without the coolers? Was there even a base model there and what is the drop off suspension wise? I'm on the fence between Tech and Track packs. Right now there are advantages to each, but more data could help the decision sway one way or the other.

As buyers it would be nice to get more details so we can make an informed purchase decision.

Last edited:

EditorTurner

Established Member
There is always room for a follow-up. With two cars, one day, and one person I did what I could. Obviously Ford wants to talk about the best packages first. As the cars become more accessible, more information will come out in time.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Nice write up, but nothing really new other than the GT350 is nice and the R is awesome. No official performance data (0-60, 1/4 mile and track times) from Ford. No information from Ford about the track prowess of the different packages. For instance how track capable is the Tech Pack without the coolers? Was there even a base model there and what is the drop off suspension wise? I'm on the fence between Tech and Track packs. Right now there are advantages to each, but more data could help the decision sway one way or the other.

As buyers it would be nice to get more details so we can make an informed purchase decision.

The article mentioned that the base car is good for about 15 minutes of max-effort track driving before needing some cool down time.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
thanks for the clarification. Nice write up! I didn't realize there is a street driving portion at these events.

EditorTurner

Established Member
No problem. I try to always keep the modding audience in mind.

It varies, but most drives have a street component, and a lot of people asked me about the cabin noise difference between the two cars so I tried to address that.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
First Drive: Shelby GT350 & GT350 R

Thanks for checking about the track capability of the cars without auxiliary coolers! That was my main hold up on deciding which package to get. I'm fine with about 15 minutes straight followed by some cool down laps, and I doubt I can personally get to the point that I'll even be capable of running the car "flat-out" for 15 minutes.

bpmurr

Established Member
There is always room for a follow-up. With two cars, one day, and one person I did what I could. Obviously Ford wants to talk about the best packages first. As the cars become more accessible, more information will come out in time.

I understand your limitations. My disappointment is direct towards the information Ford is providing. It's almost like they're embarrassed to share performance numbers during the S550 era. You've got Dodge on one end telling you everything and Ford on the other end saying figure it out yourself. As a potential buyer it would be nice if Ford was more forthcoming like Dodge. I know Dodge's numbers seemed too good to be true, but have been duplicated with good track prep and driver.

The article mentioned that the base car is good for about 15 minutes of max-effort track driving before needing some cool down time.

Didn't see that in the picture caption during my first read. A regular GT350 non-Track Pack wouldn't even make it through a 20 minute HPDE session. That's not good. I wonder how much more time the coolers add?

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Steve, did you have the sense or feel that either GT350 was much lighter than your GT500?

Who had the drone?

krt22

Established Member
I understand your limitations. My disappointment is direct towards the information Ford is providing. It's almost like they're embarrassed to share performance numbers during the S550 era. You've got Dodge on one end telling you everything and Ford on the other end saying figure it out yourself. As a potential buyer it would be nice if Ford was more forthcoming like Dodge. I know Dodge's numbers seemed too good to be true, but have been duplicated with good track prep and driver.

Didn't see that in the picture caption during my first read. A regular GT350 non-Track Pack wouldn't even make it through a 20 minute HPDE session. That's not good. I wonder how much more time the coolers add?

Im guessing it would be fine for HPDEs in all but the top groups. Think about a 20min session..2 minutes to warm up the tires...a lap or three off pace due to traffic..then bam there goes the white flag, time to bring it in.

cluscher

Established Member
Great write up. I certainly disagree there is no new information here? What is most surprising to me is the vast difference you described between the R and track pack. From an outsider's perspective, it does not seem like lighter wheels with grippier tires and more audible feedback would produce such a drastic difference like you described. Is there more to it than this, or would a track pack car with lightweight racing wheels, R comp tires and a resonator deleted be a comparable experience? If not, what specific things are most distinguishing between the two?

Para81

Established Member
Great write up. I certainly disagree there is no new information here? What is most surprising to me is the vast difference you described between the R and track pack. From an outsider's perspective, it does not seem like lighter wheels with grippier tires and more audible feedback would produce such a drastic difference like you described. Is there more to it than this, or would a track pack car with lightweight racing wheels, R comp tires and a resonator deleted be a comparable experience? If not, what specific things are most distinguishing between the two?

Tires alone make a world of difference on the track. That and the carbon fiber wheels - it's a 13,000 dollar wheel package. I'm good with the GT350.

cluscher

Established Member
I completely understand that. So I guess my question is, is it the wheels and tires that enitrely transform the vehicle as described?

Users who are viewing this thread