First Drive: Shelby GT350 & GT350R

EditorTurner

Established Member
The difference in grip is stunning, but most of it is the tires, which the engineers said are stickier than some racing slicks. However, keep in mind that the engineers light up when they talk about the affects of the CF wheels. The R features unique calibrations for the Magneride, EPAS, and PCM to take advantage of its tweaks. If you are going to track the car but can't swing an R, get a Track Pack, pull out the rear seat, add light wheels and sticky tires and you will likely get close to the R, but it will be difficult to supercede the engineering that went into that package.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The difference in grip is stunning, but most of it is the tires, which the engineers said are stickier than some racing slicks. However, keep in mind that the engineers light up when they talk about the affects of the CF wheels. The R features unique calibrations for the Magneride, EPAS, and PCM to take advantage of its tweaks. If you are going to track the car but can't swing an R, get a Track Pack, pull out the rear seat, add light wheels and sticky tires and you will likely get close to the R, but it will be difficult to supercede the engineering that went into that package.

Excellent break down Steve.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I understand your limitations. My disappointment is direct towards the information Ford is providing. It's almost like they're embarrassed to share performance numbers during the S550 era. You've got Dodge on one end telling you everything and Ford on the other end saying figure it out yourself. As a potential buyer it would be nice if Ford was more forthcoming like Dodge. I know Dodge's numbers seemed too good to be true, but have been duplicated with good track prep and driver.

Didn't see that in the picture caption during my first read. A regular GT350 non-Track Pack wouldn't even make it through a 20 minute HPDE session. That's not good. I wonder how much more time the coolers add?

I would imagine that most cars even one the manufacturer says is designed for the track can make it through a 20 min session without a 3% lapse in time. Im sure the vaunted c7z cant do that off the showroom floor. It would be interesting to test the gtr though.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
There is always room for a follow-up. With two cars, one day, and one person I did what I could. Obviously Ford wants to talk about the best packages first. As the cars become more accessible, more information will come out in time.

Thanks for the pics and for answering our specific questions in the article.

:beer:

cluscher

Established Member

Thank you. Exactly the response I was looking for.

Did you happen to notice if the Rs were on new rubber, or had they been driven a bit on those tires? If so, did you happen to notice any tire wear tendencies from track driving? Was the wear generally symmetrical?

nate

Established Member
Curious to see how the base GT350 does against one with the magnaride suspension. Or a better question, how does the base GT350 does against a track pack 14 GT500. I never came close to taking my GT500 to the limits. So the base model at $48,xxx is probably right in my performance category.

hognutz

Established Member
Curious to see how the base GT350 does against one with the magnaride suspension. Or a better question, how does the base GT350 does against a track pack 14 GT500. I never came close to taking my GT500 to the limits. So the base model at $48,xxx is probably right in my performance category.

I don't think you will find any magazine data just like you won't find any lap times in a base 13/14 GT500 from the magazines. Other than just driving both yourself you don't know. I mean a base car with the right aftermarket coilover package I have no doubt would be similar speeds just not quite as comfy.

The mag ride just deals with varying surface better IMO since it is really reacting to the terrain but since they bundle it with other packages it makes adding it expensive.

EditorTurner

Established Member
I didn't notice wear, but Ford always starts on fresh rubber, and each media type only got three laps, so the tires were pretty fresh.

EditorTurner

Established Member
Oh, and someone asked about the steering rack ratio. Both the Mustang GT and the GT350 share a 16.5:1 ratio, though the engineers seemed divided as to whether the revised knuckle on the GT350 might have altered the ratio a bit.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ignoring any tie rod differences (if any) due to the two different knuckle versions, are the GT/GT350/GT350R racks all physically the same with simply different calibrations?

_M_

Established Member
"Oh, and if you want to add headers to your 5.2, we’ll give you a hint. Go with a Tri-Y design to maximize performance and make the car sound like it is revving even higher into the stratosphere."

The car was stock. I said "if you want to add headers." That's just a hint for you future modders.

If/when you can say more about this, I am looking forward to the details

EditorTurner

Established Member
i don't really have much more intel on the subject of headers, but I'll give you what I have.

I was told that a Tri Y design with slightly shorter primaries than are common on Coyote applications would maximize power and make the engine sound as if it were revving twice as high. I pressed about using traditional header lengths and was told that would likely boost torque.

So it sounds like the shorter Tri Ys would be ideal for racing while something a bit longer might be preferred for the street.

32vApe

Not Fast Enough
Established Member
With a flat plane crank you get even exhaust pulses on each bank vs. a cross plane where two cylinders on the same bank fire one right after the other. With nice even pulses in the header collector, the exhaust scavenging is much better than a cross plane and is more sensitive to primary length and collector design. To make the most out of a header on a cross plane, the primaries have to be the same length. Unlike long tubes made for the coyote now where the primaries vary in length a few inches. Tri-y headers tend to make a little more mid range with a loss up top. And 4-1 will make more top end as long as the primary tubes are the right length for the desired rpm range. Hopefully one of the big header manufacturers will step up to the task of making true equal length design with different length options.

EditorTurner

Established Member
Yes, 32vApe, I should have mentioned that the equal-length primaries are important as well. It will be interesting to see if there are enough people modding these cars to warrant the aftermarket creating specialized products.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I REALLY want to hear one with a set of Tri y's now that you said that lol.

Especially with a tune and 1000 more RPM.

_M_

Established Member
Great info below. Thanks Gents.

I can tell you that if one of the manufacturers put out a good design this is a mod I would be willing to do to mine.

With a flat plane crank you get even exhaust pulses on each bank vs. a cross plane where two cylinders on the same bank fire one right after the other. With nice even pulses in the header collector, the exhaust scavenging is much better than a cross plane and is more sensitive to primary length and collector design. To make the most out of a header on a cross plane, the primaries have to be the same length. Unlike long tubes made for the coyote now where the primaries vary in length a few inches. Tri-y headers tend to make a little more mid range with a loss up top. And 4-1 will make more top end as long as the primary tubes are the right length for the desired rpm range. Hopefully one of the big header manufacturers will step up to the task of making true equal length design with different length options.

Yes, 32vApe, I should have mentioned that the equal-length primaries are important as well. It will be interesting to see if there are enough people modding these cars to warrant the aftermarket creating specialized products.

Users who are viewing this thread