First Dyno Numbers 2001 with 4lb

Bootbox

Established Member
Yesterday was my birthday (29yo) and my friend bought me a couple pulls at the local Dynojet. I'll scan the chart in when I get home from work, I didn't get to it last night.

360hp 466tq - SAE corrected, 89deg, 25% humidity

Power mods are 4lb lower, MAC intake, self made Silverbullet catback, and Predator 93oct 8r10 flash.

I logged my run in the Predator - At peak RPM and wide open throttle, the MAF was at 4.50V, timing was at 15deg when the IAT2 was at 137 degrees, then quickly to 14deg as the IAT2 went to 150 degrees.

The tailpipe sniffer (which is verified to be .5 leaner than my friend's AEM wideband mounted before his cats) read 11.7:1 so I'm in the low 11s A/F. Between this and the timing the tune seems incredibly safe to me, I'm pretty happy (but damn tempted to bolt on the 6lbr and get an ice box for the bed)

Question - Were my IAT2 temps so high that it pulled timing? 15-14deg seems really low to me, others have logged 18deg on this flash in different weather.

Seems healthy right? :rockon:

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
looks good to me, i'd go get a bung for the pipes next time to get a more acurate reading, but if your correct on the tail pipe sniffer, looks good and would probably be good for a 6#er.

congrats.

chiz

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
is the truck stock besides the 4 lber?? i know my stock truck with the 5lber was at 395hp and 490 tq but that was about 60 feet above sealevel

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
shouldn't you be pushing at least 375rwhp w/ a CAI, 4lb'er and predator tune?? :shrug:

how many miles are on the truck? Are you on the stock plugs?

I would think that an 01 would put down 360 w/ a canned tune and stock lower? :??:

Bootbox

Established Member
lightninmike said:
is the truck stock besides the 4 lber?? i know my stock truck with the 5lber was at 395hp and 490 tq but that was about 60 feet above sealevel

Mods besides 4lb'r are MAC intake, silverbullet catback clone, and Predator canned 8r10 flash. Truck turned over 49,000mi on the dyno, and I'm running TR6 plugs and 8 brand new coil packs. Keep in mind I'm running real rich on the ultra safe 8r10 flash, and it looks like the truck was pulling timing, it was 96 degrees outside, I drove 10 miles in traffic to get there. Heat soak city. (more like excuse city am i rite) ;-)

I know the guys there so I just pulled my truck directly onto the rollers. They strapped it down, pointed a giant fan at it for maybe 1 minute, then ripped off the pulls, back to back. The numbers posted are from my 3rd and last pull (it downshifted the first two times he tried it and he aborted)

I could have let it cool down for a couple hours and tried for a higher number, but honestly I wanted a real world idea of what kind of numbers I'm putting down in our daily TX heatwave conditions we have 9 months of the year. I'm sure there's more power to be had with a good tune too.

:burnout:

Last edited:

Bootbox

Established Member
Don't forget the 4lb'r doesn't usually add lots of HP I think they only claim 20hp or so. It's usually all tq, 460ft/lbs isn't bad right?

Last edited:

threefity

its jus fo dekarashun
Established Member
This is what my buddy put down in his 2001 Lightning wednesday. He has 4lb Lower , Magnaflow Catback, Tune written by LFP for the parts and a new Thermostat (forgot which one). Stock plugs (they are a bitch to change , holy crap).

With it being a whopping 102 degrees outside.

Also , dont worry abotu run 1 because after about 2 sec into the run, the A/F fell off the end of the pipes. They ended up putting it in place of the 02 i believe. So thats why it may look a little weird :)

lrg-689-06-28-06_3_runs.jpg

Last edited:

Bootbox

Established Member
I'm going to get a mail order tune soon and redyno it. I'm thinking the low 11s A/F and 14-15deg timing is to blame. I'd like to be able to lock the converter in third for the pull too so the guy can get it right the first time.

Thanks for posting that threefity, Does LFP do Predator tunes?

I was basically interested in seeing if my truck was healthy (like, is it going to put down 330hp? Am I firing on all 8? etc...) I'm glad to see I'm at least in the ballpark. I can tell you one thing, it's a lot faster than a stock 01 (and an EVO 9MR) lol

threefity

its jus fo dekarashun
Established Member
Bootbox said:
I'm going to get a mail order tune soon and redyno it. I'm thinking the low 11s A/F and 14-15deg timing is to blame. I'd like to be able to lock the converter in third for the pull too so the guy can get it right the first time.

Thanks for posting that threefity, Does LFP do Predator tunes?

I was basically interested in seeing if my truck was healthy (like, is it going to put down 330hp? Am I firing on all 8? etc...) I'm glad to see I'm at least in the ballpark. I can tell you one thing, it's a lot faster than a stock 01 (and an EVO 9MR) lol

Hehe , no problem on the post. I am pretty sure that you should be firing on all 8, you would be able to tell if it was misfiring.

I am not sure if they do, we got the SCT Xcal2 for his car and they wrote a Summer 93 octane tune and a Winter 93 Octane Tune.

Good guys over there.

But YES the 4lb Lower REALLY wakes his truck up. I am interested in seeing what an 8lb would do :) ... or should be just get an upper pulley now?

Bootbox

Established Member
I don't like the idea of upper pulleys (belt slip and they're a pain in the ass to install) and an 8lb lower will overspin the blower. 6lb would be a good next step. (I'll probably do this soon)

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Well when you do have a dyno tune done something to think about is the knock sensor. I know i know everyone says they are turned off well just cause they think they are doesnt mean they really are. While my truck was on the dyno my tuner was setting the timing at 16 degrees and then while running the live link it was showing the timing at 10 degrees. Turns out the knock sensor was pulling the timing out. It has to be recalibrated by being turned on and then setting the values to 0. Its strange i know but it was something new i learned and something most dont know about.
Yes i think your power and tq should be atleast 25 to 30 higher than you are right now. Do you have 93 gas or 91?? that will make a difference but not that much

Bootbox

Established Member
Thanks for the tip on the knock sensor. I'll let them know to address that for sure.

I don't know about 25 or 30 higher though, that would put me in the range of most people's 6lb'r results. I'm more concerned with keeping my rods in the block than I am breaking dyno records. I would however like to see it at 380/480 on the 4lb'r for sure. I bet I'd hit it with a new tune.

Oh, and I'm running on 93oct.

Can anyone tell me, from the info in the first post, if it looks like the ECU is pulling timing from high IAT2 temps? Is 137-150 in the range of when timing starts getting pulled?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
My 00 put down 380/460 with a 2lber on the 'aggressive' side of the chip and 360/420 on the 'regular' side.....:shrug:
Dyno_001_small.jpg

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Bootbox said:
Thanks for the tip on the knock sensor. I'll let them know to address that for sure.

I don't know about 25 or 30 higher though, that would put me in the range of most people's 6lb'r results. I'm more concerned with keeping my rods in the block than I am breaking dyno records. I would however like to see it at 380/480 on the 4lb'r for sure. I bet I'd hit it with a new tune.

Oh, and I'm running on 93oct.

Can anyone tell me, from the info in the first post, if it looks like the ECU is pulling timing from high IAT2 temps? Is 137-150 in the range of when timing starts getting pulled?

On my last pull (last week on the dyno) the temp here was 88 degrees and humid. My intake temps were around114 and i have no "ice box" or anything like that, just the shop fan infront of the truck

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
lean it out a tad bit, around 11.8 or so, and bump the timeing up to 17*....i'd also get a race gas tune also and run upwards of 19*

chiz

boca ron

Banned
boot im trying to send you a tune for your 01L your e-mail is not working i guess file name cxn1pnrboca a/f commands are 11.7 timing is locked at 15 so heat wont pull it. try it if you like it should wake her up.

Bootbox

Established Member
lightninmike said:
On my last pull (last week on the dyno) the temp here was 88 degrees and humid. My intake temps were around114 and i have no "ice box" or anything like that, just the shop fan infront of the truck

Hmm, makes me wonder if I didn't trap some air in the intercooler coolant system. I'm going to grab some new coolant and some water wetter, empty the system, and do it over.

Thanks Mike. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread