First Medal of Honor from the Iraq war awarded

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
http://www.mcnews.info/mcnewsinfo/moh/
First Marine Medal of Honor
Heard about this story awhile back, I guess he finaly got it, or is in most cases that people are awarded the medal of honor his next of kin received it.

Cpl Dunham Nov 10th, 1981- Apr 14, 2004. Rest in Peace Devil Dog

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Brave men

Since the Long War began, the president has presented one Medal of Honor. On April 4, 2003, during Operation Iraqi Freedom, Army Sgt. 1st Class Paul R. Smith posthumously earned the medal for organizing a defense that held off a company-sized attack on more than 100 vulnerable coalition soldiers. In the defense, Smith manned a .50 caliber machine gun in an exposed position until he was mortally wounded.

Also, did the Navy Seal that gave his life to save his comrades get the medal of honor? Haven't heard anything lately about him.

To all those:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Yes I need to edit, I got excited and forgot there are other branches than the Marines. He was the first Marine to receive the medal. Have not heard about the Navy Seal. I do know they take quite awhile to go through though and many times they don't go through and people will receive either the Navy Cross or Silver Star. Either way, some very heroic things go on in a time of war. Just wanted to post something somewhat positive and give recognition to those who truly deserve it.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
First Marine to get it 2nd overall for this war. Sgt 1st Class Paul Smith was the first for his actions at Baghdad International Airport in 03.

And yes, most recieve it posthumously (sp?) because their heroism caused their own demise. You definitely gotta be a bad MF (regardless of service) to recieve "The Medal".

God Bless and Semper Fi!!!! OOHRAH:rockon:

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
I was watching a show, and saw the best quote about the medal of honor, from a living awardee...
"I was not a hero that day, but merely in the company of hero's"

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
And you know the great thing about this? If you were to ask what's it like to be a hero, I bet he'd say that he was only doing his job. God Bless EVERYONE overseas! Stay safe, you'll be home soon!

-Mike

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
There have been more than that. You will just never know about it. Unfortunately.

-Jeff

KDog

Established Member
"After two years and seven months making its way to the White House, the nomination now has the necessary approval from the president."

That's absurd. I work for the federal government and it still amazes me how much BS things have to go through to get where they need to be.

Semper Fi, Marine.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
Awesome story! And the thing about taking 2 years, Fawk that shit.......if i was President which is a far shot but if i was...MY NUMBER ONE Concern/Attention would be for our Troops. I wouldnt pull them out but be damn sure i would Make sure EVERYONE in the US would know what kind of things our troops do to protect our freedom. Its NONSENSE how much stuff they shield from the public.....tell them/us WE NEED TO HEAR THESE THINGS. I personally believe someone who has served and fulfilled his line of duty should be granted a ton of priviledges that no one else can have. And if someone had a problem with that they can suck on the barrel of my 300 Mag!

Last edited:

bone stock

Established Member
i read half way through his biography "The gift of valor". great book if you want to hear about the pain he went through after he suffered his wounds. too depressing of a book in my opinion.

TacticalKaos

Established Member
Smokey1226 said:
Awesome story! And the thing about taking 2 years, Fawk that shit.......if i was President which is a far shot but if i was...MY NUMBER ONE Concern/Attention would be for our Troops. I wouldnt pull them out but be damn sure i would Make sure EVERYONE in the US would know what kind of things our troops do to protect our freedom. Its NONSENSE how much stuff they shield from the public.....tell them/us WE NEED TO HEAR THESE THINGS. I personally believe someone who has served and fulfilled his line of duty should be granted a ton of priviledges that no one else can have. And if someone had a problem with that they can suck on the barrel of my 300 Mag!

Yeah, I can see that. My battle got a speeding ticket when he got home going to see his family. I was more pissed than he was but it was weird. Everyone has to follow the rules though. It's a shame this honor isn't bestowed on all those who give their lives serving this country. May he rest in peace.

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
FLYIN said:
http://www.mcnews.info/mcnewsinfo/moh/
First Marine Medal of Honor
Heard about this story awhile back, I guess he finaly got it, or is in most cases that people are awarded the medal of honor his next of kin received it.

Cpl Dunham Nov 10th, 1981- Apr 14, 2004. Rest in Peace Devil Dog
you were the one that posted about brad kasal, and now this. good work. and i like your avatar quip. lol

go easy, cpl dunham.

Users who are viewing this thread