First Mod: JLT Cai vs catted X pipe

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Hey everyone this is my first thread on here. I drive a 1997 Cobra with no mods besides Ford B springs and shocks. And well it's time to make some power. I have been searching around this forum and others. I'm not new to mustangs but I am pretty new to the 4v (owned this car for almost 4 months barely).

Anyways I'm wanting to do my first performance mods. JLT is definitely the best. JLT promises good power out of their CAI. AmericanMuscle claims 16rwhp/20rwhtq, not sure on that but anywho I have looked around and the termis seem to benefit the most from these cai's being SC and all. According to forum chat I see that many people are happy with their JLT cai, and that power is definitely SOTP. But I'm longing for some sound from an exhaust. I think it's going to be catted; catless is just too loud for me (and I'm not old lol). Still deciding on the set up but thinking bassani catted x with flow super 44s.

Which would be a better buy as a first mod? The JLT cai with flow super 44's (some sound for now/compromise) or the Bassani Catted X with the super 44's?

Sorry for the long post :) oh and p.s. if I did the JLT cai and mufflers an SCT tuner would follow within 2 weeks!

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I'm considering that; a friend of mine says to do the exhaust first. And I won't be getting an offroad pipe ha, too loud for me to drive everyday. I love hearing other mustangs with them but not for me ha.

decisions decisions

97crystalwhite

ah whatsup DOHC?!
Established Member
it wont be too loud, if you think thats loud. listen to slp lm1 with o/r x pipe. by the way our 97 crystal white's are both in the 50,000 mile range!!! haha

Badfish4.6

Established Member
imo, you will c more from the upgraded exhaust. yull find that a drop in or cone k&N will be jus about equal as the CAI. save your money for the tuner and full exhaust. i baught my BBS cai used and and just for esthetic reasons....

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Well there are a good amount of people saying that a CAI doesn't gain any power on the dyno on our cars and that a drop in K&N filter is all that is needed. I would think that a CAI would give better throttle response and more engine intake noise, but my car came with my intake on it already so I can't testify.

Honestly my car with an O/R X is not all that loud. It sounds good and I thought it was loud at first.. but I can almost never hear my car over the others that I race lol.

I don't think flowmasters sound good on a 4V, but sound is personal opinion. It doesn't seem like you can go wrong with a set of mac mufflers though. Listen to the exhaust thread that is stickied at the top of this SN95 section.

I'd save the tuner for after you did longtubes and a short runner manifold (if staying n/a)

Edit: About the X-pipe, don't get a clamshell design X like the Basanni or BBK. They don't sound good and rob power. Get a true X, such as magnafow, upr, vrs.

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
it wont be too loud, if you think thats loud. listen to slp lm1 with o/r x pipe. by the way our 97 crystal white's are both in the 50,000 mile range!!! haha

Hahaha omg that's the craziest exhaust I've heard on these cars. Saw a vid on youtube, it's crazy loud and sounds like crap lol. Ohhhh Sorry to ruin the moment but 58k was 4 months ago, I've climbed into the 60's with 60,450 :/ It's my dd, although I should dd my GT but the Cobra is just more fun!

imo, you will c more from the upgraded exhaust. yull find that a drop in or cone k&N will be jus about equal as the CAI. save your money for the tuner and full exhaust. i baught my BBS cai used and and just for esthetic reasons....

Hmm I'm not to sure a K&N drop in is as good as a cai, I'm not expecting to see 10rwhp from a cai but it is definitely more than a drop in will produce. I had a drop in on my gt and I didn't feel nor notice anything. Than got a bbk cai, got better throttle response and the sound was better. With a SCT tuner it felt a lot better. But true it's mostly aesthetics. Well I don't race that much... yet so the exhaust might be more beneficial as in putting a smile on face every day! lol.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Well there are a good amount of people saying that a CAI doesn't gain any power on the dyno on our cars and that a drop in K&N filter is all that is needed. I would think that a CAI would give better throttle response and more engine intake noise, but my car came with my intake on it already so I can't testify.

Honestly my car with an O/R X is not all that loud. It sounds good and I thought it was loud at first.. but I can almost never hear my car over the others that I race lol.

I don't think flowmasters sound good on a 4V, but sound is personal opinion. It doesn't seem like you can go wrong with a set of mac mufflers though. Listen to the exhaust thread that is stickied at the top of this SN95 section.

I'd save the tuner for after you did longtubes and a short runner manifold (if staying n/a)

Edit: About the X-pipe, don't get a clamshell design X like the Basanni or BBK. They don't sound good and rob power. Get a true X, such as magnafow, upr, vrs.

I believe in cai's. I don't think a K&N drop in produces the same power nor effect as a cai. That's from having both on my old GT. Throttle response is better, and the sound is awesome with a cai. I've just never put a cai on a 4v.

Ha well what do you race? F1 cars? lol just kidding. Hmm Idk I find it loud, well actually one of my friends' 5.0 has slp lm1 with some off road pipe and it's pretty darn loud! In my case I'd need a set up that doesn't attract the police as I live in the city. The emissions thing I'd just turn off the CELs with mils and hope they don't use a mirror. Although a strong gas/engine combustion smelling exhaust I think would let them know it has no cats?

And I haven't heard many good sounding 4V's with flows now that I think about it. Hmm haven't heard much from MAC. I've gone through the exhaust thread and 95% of them are catless so it doesn't give me much ha. For some reason bassani and bbk catted x pipes sound the same given that bassani is better quality lol, has to be the stamped X. And I have heard some of the magnaflow off road pipes and they aren't all that loud, would be a good one to pick. A UPR catted X with bassani CB sounds flipping amazing but their price is yikes!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
A CAI is a waste of money if you're looking for better performance...seriously. Throttle response will not decrease and the hp will not peak any higher. The engine only requires about 650cfm of air at 7000rpm, the stock tube flows much more. A K&N filter is all that's needed.

As for the Flowmasters, if you like a drone they are great. If not, the straight-thrus are a much better option; Borla XS Pros, Magnaflows are both good and will allow you to hear the radio. The mufflers won't increase power by more than 2-3rwhp so I suggest doing them in conjuction with an off-road X/H pipe.

Gears should be the first mod, at least 4.10s.

A march damper and larger water pump, alternator and hydraboost pullies will free up 10-15rwhp. Probably the best bang-for-the-buck mod available.

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
A CAI is a waste of money if you're looking for better performance...seriously. Throttle response will not decrease and the hp will not peak any higher. The engine only requires about 650cfm of air at 7000rpm, the stock tube flows much more. A K&N filter is all that's needed.

As for the Flowmasters, if you like a drone they are great. If not, the straight-thrus are a much better option; Borla XS Pros, Magnaflows are both good and will allow you to hear the radio. The mufflers won't increase power by more than 2-3rwhp so I suggest doing them in conjuction with an off-road X/H pipe.

Gears should be the first mod, at least 4.10s.

A march damper and larger water pump, alternator and hydraboost pullies will free up 10-15rwhp. Probably the best bang-for-the-buck mod available.

Hmmm the math part gives a lot to think about. But I mean JLT has dunno graphs to show for gains with their cai. There's a huge dip in the stock intake tube that I'm sure isn't beneficial. But than again I don't know the math part of it. Yah I know flowmasters drone, I have some 44s on my GT and its actually not bad at all. Of course its catted so its less drone. Borlas sound okay, everyone likes them but I think theyre just ok. The magnapacks sound amazing, but ive noticed they are quiet at cruising speed. And I saw a vid of magna. Off road x pipe with magnapacks sounded amazing! As for the gears being the first mod idk because I'd love to hear my exhaust first. gears id say 2nd for me. I don't race at the track yet, I'm building up first. The damper, water pump are in the picture as well. Not pulleys tho, I need a fully functional AC here in this 110°F weather

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
1. I have an O/R X with MILS and have passed emmissions in Massachusetts and Connecticut, I think you'll be ok in Arizona lol.

2. I've lived in Arizona, cops are almost non existant compared to out here, I think you'll be ok with the noise.

3. When you get the underdrive crank pulley, the overdrive alternator, waterpump, and power steering pump pulleys get those accessory speeds back up to normal. Todd, do they make an A/C pulley?

4. I have a feeling JLT dyno graphs are before, then after with their CAI and a tune.

5. As far as sound, I think Na svt nailed the exhaust combo that you're looking for. Magnaflow mufflers or Borla XS mufflers with an O/R midpipe. It is really pretty quiet in the cabin at cruise, but really opens up and screams at WOT. If you really have your mind set on cats, the UPR X pipe is probably the best bang for the buck.

:beer:

96dreamer

Established Member
full length subframe connectors. its the most recent thing ive done and even after a built motor, rear end, nitrous, full bolt ons its probably my favorite thing ive done so far.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
full length subframe connectors. its the most recent thing ive done and even after a built motor, rear end, nitrous, full bolt ons its probably my favorite thing ive done so far.

Absolutely! Sub frame connectors are one of the best mods you can do overall.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
1. I have an O/R X with MILS and have passed emmissions in Massachusetts and Connecticut, I think you'll be ok in Arizona lol.

2. I've lived in Arizona, cops are almost non existant compared to out here, I think you'll be ok with the noise.

3. When you get the underdrive crank pulley, the overdrive alternator, waterpump, and power steering pump pulleys get those accessory speeds back up to normal. Todd, do they make an A/C pulley?

4. I have a feeling JLT dyno graphs are before, then after with their CAI and a tune.

5. As far as sound, I think Na svt nailed the exhaust combo that you're looking for. Magnaflow mufflers or Borla XS mufflers with an O/R midpipe. It is really pretty quiet in the cabin at cruise, but really opens up and screams at WOT. If you really have your mind set on cats, the UPR X pipe is probably the best bang for the buck.

:beer:

Not quite up to speed on emissions in the states you mentioned, but you are right it is not that bad in AZ. You are correct, the noise level with cops isn't an issue at all. Besides I don't drive around at 3k+ rpms daily lol. Really I was always under the impression that pulleys slowed down your accessories and thus produced some lost power? Hmmm Although as you stated a larger water pump is a good idea. I'll have to use the search key and research pullies more. I might be misinformed. Ha I'm not the only one who believes those dyno graphs by JLT are with a tune. If only we knew. I'd like 10+rwhp from a cai lol. I think you are right about the exhaust, na svt did nail it. Magnaflows quiet yet scream at WOT. I've been visiting you tube a lot more lately. I'm LOVING the magnaflow off road X with Maganpacks catback! You guys are doing a pretty good job on convincing me to go catless! The upr catted set up sounds amazing though with the bassani CB. Looks like I'm going to need spacers in the rear though, my 315's are rubbing the stock exhaust tail pipe :/ Not even the quad shock is rubbed just the exhaust. I hate 1 inch spacers.

Really now? I've read lots about them. Almost bought some for my GT, but got the Cobra and never did get them for the GT. I think I prefer exhaust though first.

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
I have a C&L intake and MAF housing for sale if you're interested. Just needs a filter.

DSC_1587.gif

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Not quite up to speed on emissions in the states you mentioned, but you are right it is not that bad in AZ. You are correct, the noise level with cops isn't an issue at all. Besides I don't drive around at 3k+ rpms daily lol. Really I was always under the impression that pulleys slowed down your accessories and thus produced some lost power? Hmmm Although as you stated a larger water pump is a good idea. I'll have to use the search key and research pullies more. I might be misinformed. Ha I'm not the only one who believes those dyno graphs by JLT are with a tune. If only we knew. I'd like 10+rwhp from a cai lol. I think you are right about the exhaust, na svt did nail it. Magnaflows quiet yet scream at WOT. I've been visiting you tube a lot more lately. I'm LOVING the magnaflow off road X with Maganpacks catback! You guys are doing a pretty good job on convincing me to go catless! The upr catted set up sounds amazing though with the bassani CB. Looks like I'm going to need spacers in the rear though, my 315's are rubbing the stock exhaust tail pipe :/ Not even the quad shock is rubbed just the exhaust. I hate 1 inch spacers.

Really now? I've read lots about them. Almost bought some for my GT, but got the Cobra and never did get them for the GT. I think I prefer exhaust though first.

lol well the underdrive crank pulley does slow down all the accessories, but that's why you put on a different water pump pulley, alternator pulley, and power steering pump pulley. Those other pullies speed up those accessories so you don't have low coolant flow, low voltage, and low power steering fluid flow. I was curious if they made a pulley for the a/c compressor though or how much that'd matter. The search function is your friend though. :beer:

luke87gt

Established Member
lol well the underdrive crank pulley does slow down all the accessories, but that's why you put on a different water pump pulley, alternator pulley, and power steering pump pulley. Those other pullies speed up those accessories so you don't have low coolant flow, low voltage, and low power steering fluid flow. I was curious if they made a pulley for the a/c compressor though or how much that'd matter. The search function is your friend though. :beer:

Sir, this is not correct.

A smaller crank pulley slows down all accessories as you say.

However, larger individual pulleys slow down that particular accessory even further.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Sir, this is not correct.

A smaller crank pulley slows down all accessories as you say.

However, larger individual pulleys slow down that particular accessory even further.

Actually after thinking about it, that makes sense. However I never said the pullies were smaller or larger lol Todd did though.

So I take it the other pullies you get are also smaller then to bring them back up to speed?

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
So I take it the other pullies you get are also smaller then to bring them back up to speed?

The damper (it's not a pulley) drives accessories (alt, wp, a/c and hydraboost). Reducing the diameter of the damper slows the accessories and making the diameter of the accessory pullies larger further reduces their RPM.

It takes hp to turn the accessories and the faster they turn the more hp they use. So, the goal is reduce their (accessories) RPM so they take less hp from the engine.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
The damper (it's not a pulley) drives accessories (alt, wp, a/c and hydraboost). Reducing the diameter of the damper slows the accessories and making the diameter of the accessory pullies larger further reduces their RPM.

It takes hp to turn the accessories so the goal is reduce their RPM to reduce hp required to turn them.

I assumed that by changing the damper you gained power and slowed the accessories down (seems true) but then I figured the reason for replacing the accessory pullies was to bring them back up to speed, but in fact it is to reduce their speed even further?

Users who are viewing this thread