First Mods Done

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
OK, finished my first mods. Went with the JLP CAI (looked to be the most functional of all), the 2.93 Pulley, and muffler removal. First, I would suggest to everyone to be careful with JLP. The CAI didn't look like it was going to fit. It did, but it was a real PITA. No instructions, of course. I had two experienced mechanics (my brother and his mentor, a race car and Viper mechanic) put it on, and they both thought the design was nice, but the fit and finish could use some work. Also, I ordered a 3.1" pulley (specifically requested 3.1"), but got a 2.93. I chose to use it anyway, but it still pisses me off. Doubt I will go with them again.

BTW, they used a mega-mondo pulley puller (snap-on gear puller, I think), and it came off fine, but it damn near bent the puller (which has a 1" thick steel crossbar), and bent the edges of the stock pulley (due to the two spoke design of the puller). To put the new pulley on, they used a power steering pump installation tool. Make sure, that if you do this, you mark with tape where the stock pulley lines up. It's a royal PITA to try and "eyeball" the pulley lining up. All things considered, I would suggest going with the special tool for this job, even if it DOES cast WAY more than it's worth.

I bought a Gatorback 74.5" belt for the new pulley, but as we changed the belts, we measured both. The stock belt was EXACTLY 74.5". Perhaps it wasn't broken in yet (had 1800 miles on the car), but I was a bit surprised.

I haven't noticed anything bad so far without a chip, the car seems fine.

Tried to get to the track tonight to run it, but they were closed. SOTP feeling is that the car is a good bit faster. It will break loose in first at any RPM, just press the pedal. :) Redlined it a good bit trying to get used to how damned fast first goes by :shrug: Trying to find a dyno, but not having much luck, so I guess I'll just wait until I get home. :shrug: Hope my AF is OK. Not too worried about it, based on my research, but you never know.

Users who are viewing this thread