First new gun purchase for CCW - Holster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6.0GTO

Established Member
Between Hillary not being able to say Americans have a right to bear arms and all this other crap going on I purchased what I thought would be a good general pistol for Colorado conceal carry. It is just Glock 19. I have not owned a gun for 20 years so I am starting over knowledge wise.

What I would really appreciate is a recommendation for a holster. I started looking online and crap the list is so long.

SHOdown220

Established Member
N82 or "nate squared" is a small company local to me, I used to work next door to the guys and they make a hell of a product. Been carrying with their professional series holster for a few years now and it's a great product. Highly recommend those guys

https://www.n82tactical.com

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I always recommend a horse hide holster. I have a Galco IWB but there is a local company named Kramer that makes even better.

6.0GTO

Established Member
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll probably order two or three and see what I like. Initially I also went with Gold Dot 124gr GDHP. Thoughts on this round?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I know a lot of guys who are happy with the Serpa Blackhawk holsters. I have a Tagua leather holster and it's held up great and comfortable.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
try to find a group or store that has lots so you can try on. Pick you favorite. They all feel like you have a big peace of metal on your side. Some feel better more than others.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll probably order two or three and see what I like. Initially I also went with Gold Dot 124gr GDHP. Thoughts on this round?

If you're going to order different holster to try then order different styles, not the same style of different brands.

You try one of the hybrid holsters (king tuck, super tuck), you may like them but myself and most don't who have tried other types. They always print like crazy for me as I can never get the ride height just right and I always feel like they pull my pants down worse than other holster when carried at the 4-5 o clock position. Since the holster is secured at two points they don't allow the holster to float at all in your pants if you're getting up and down and lot or in and out of a car which is often nice for a holster to be able to do. Due to the style clips they use they will often unclip either front and rear and you're having to work the clip back down vs just a quick adjustment with a sing;e clip style. If you do get one though, just buy quality, Ive had dozens of the style of different makers and they are all the same as long as they're good quality. Personally I'd just buy the galco since it's cheaper than most, great quality, and readily available. I

If you want to try a leather holster though this would be my recommendation:

http://www.wildbillsconcealment.com/covert_carry.htm

I have several of these (including for G19) and they are super comfortable. It also works great as an appendix holster (which I carry most) where the hybrid holsters won't. They're also reasonably priced and very well made.

If you're considering typical kydex holsters, thats where you have to be really careful. Everybody and their brother is making them now and the fact is for a OWB holster the majority of them work great. But order them with IWB mounts the majority of them suck. Most of them are super unforgettable, have points where they dig into your skin, pinch your skin, or are contoured poorly. A lot of them also use kydex that is too thin or the build just isn't right so when you have enough tension on your belt to keep you pants up, the gun is bound in the holster so tight that you can't draw it, and if you somehow can muscle it out without pulling your pants up around your ears in the process, you certainly cannot reholster. Raven is the only kydex company I have found that is solid across the board as far as build quality, and comfort. Because they are the best they do have a pretty extensive lead time unless you choose one thats in stock ready to go which for a glock 19 unless you're getting one for a weapon light or custom offset, or cut for a RMR then they probably will have it ready to ship.

My recommendation of the Eidolon comes after using a lot of holsters. I currently have hundreds of different holsters currently and use probably about 50 of them fairly regularly for different methods of carry and attire. The Eidolon is by far the most comfortable and most adpatable holster I have ever used. If I could only own one pistol and one holster it would absolutely be a G19 and a Eidolon, it's as perfect for all around use as a holster is going to get. It's only downside is that they only make it for a couple models but the G19 is one of them.

If you're ok with buying a couple holsters (which I recommend) then I certainly would. The nice thing about the popularity of the G19 is that as long as you buy quality holsters and they don't have any funky custom features you can sell them very easily for a return.

As for the Speer Gold Dot, you made a great choice. The 124gr and 147gr bullets are the best weight options for 9mm and the Gold Dot is one of only two bullets in 9mm that reliably expand the majority of the time due to the 9mm's diameter. The other is the Federal HST (not to be confused with the hi-shock or hydra-shock). For 9mm you can't go wrong with either of those two bullets and they're what most LE agencies use due to their reliability.

jbs$

Established Member
The Glock 19 is fairly large for a carry piece, you may consider one of the smaller Glocks. A 26 or a 30 are much easer to conceal without losing any power or function.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
The Glock 19 is fairly large for a carry piece, you may consider one of the smaller Glocks. A 26 or a 30 are much easer to conceal without losing any power or function.

I carry a G23 (.40 version of G19) everyday in a Crossbreed super tuck and consider it the perfect carry piece, never feels too large.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member

Not in the least bit, the 19 is small enough to conceal but big enough to fight with.

The hardest part of a firearm to conceal is the grip length followed by width. The part you noticed the most is weight. By time you add the grip extension to a 26 as most people do so that you can actually control the thing for decent follow up shots they have practically the same grip length and they are the same width. Weight difference is minimal and the biggest difference will come from the added capacity of the 19 which isn't a bad thing in a gun fight. As for the 30 it's heavier, wider, and is less than .5" longer and less than 1/4" taller. Both platforms have significantly more recoil with the same pressure ammo which means slower/less accurate follow ups.

I sometimes carry my G34 MOS with X300 ultra, trijicon RMR, and mag extension and I do it IWB.... THAT is a large gun to conceal but I still have no problems doing it.

DrumGuru

Established Member
I have had my North Carolina CCW for about 5 months now and carry almost every time I leave the house. I carry a Springfield XD-40 Subcompact. I use an AlienGear CloakTuck 3 and a black leather AlienGear gun belt. This combination has been awesome. The holster is a little bulkier than some I have seen, but it is super light weight, and comfortable, and is some very nice, quality equipment. This is also accompanied by a forever warranty, and lifetime shell trades if you ever change your carry weapon. The belts also hold a 1 year warranty. As a whole I am completely satisfied with my concealed carry combo and would recommend it to anyone.

http://aliengearholsters.com

railroad

Established Member

Just make sure your gun digests the chosen ammo, flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread