First Post and quick question

Jason95R

Established Member
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to give a quick introduction. I bought 1995 Cobra R #172 about a month and a half ago :rolling:. Haven't really put too many miles on yet but i'm enjoying the car!

I had one quick question about wheel spacers as a search didn't bring up much. I want the rear wheels to sit more flush with the fenders. I used to run H&R spacers on my 94 GT. That was many many years ago and I honestly don't remember the width. Is anyone runny spacers on their 95 R? I don't really want to cut down the existing studs like I had to on my GT. Want to remain stock.

Thanks guys!

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey Jason and welcome,
I can't help you until you post pictures.

I am all for getting the tire tucked up into the fender and all:
73RSt.jpg

It did require long studs and a lot of work to get the suspension right on this car.

Cobra R:
1995CobraR15.jpg

I think the 95 Cobra R can be lowered if you remove the original springs (save them) and cut down some springs to lower it.

The front springs are going to be hard since it really changes the front end geometry.

I raced a 1994 back when (it is still a race car):
94Cobra-3.gif

It was quick. ;-)

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Search the forum for this topic. RobertM and I had a good thread on this years ago. There are TWO companies making these knock-offs in 10.5". One design is very close in appearance, the other not so much. If either of them is even in business any more. Be aware, the color of the rims is a brighter silver than your oem rims.

Tom

brianz426

Established Member
Hi Jason,
My 95R had spacers on it when I bought it. I didn't think I still had them but I found them this weekend while cleaning up my garage. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you pictures of my car before I bought it and pictures of the spacers.
Brian

Jason95R

Established Member
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I was out of the country for the past couple of weeks and just got back to checking the forum.

Doc- I would post some pics but I am technologically inept at that stuff. I'll try to figure out how to do it tonight from home. The car I bought was for sale on this forum for a while as well as ebay. So I'm sure you probably have come across it a time or two.

I wasn't going to buy a second set of wheels just for a wider look. But if that's the only option out there it might be the way I end up going.

Brian- I'll send you a PM in a few.

Thanks for the responses. I haven't had a ton of time to enjoy the car yet but fall cruising in New England is great. Cool weather and fall colors. Can't wait.

Jason95R

Established Member
It actually doesn't look like I can send a PM yet. Maybe not enough posts.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
The 10.5 rears actually fill out the wheel well and they line up very close to the outside fender like the front. If you are wondering what performance advantage, traction if you are drag racing. They will hurt handling. BUT, they look GOOD!

RobertM, where are you and your pics???

Tom

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
The 10.5 rears actually fill out the wheel well and they line up very close to the outside fender like the front.

Tom,
If you do a run up in the mountains or do a track day, how are you going to keep those wide wheels/tires inside the fenders without a panhard bar? It will move around without it.

It isn't going to be easy nor in anyway inexpensive.

I say keep the 17" X 9" wheel and 255/45-zr-17 /tire package stock.
95CobraRa.jpg

My completely stock 1995 Cobra R is very good (or excellent) in my mountain drives. It tends to push a little (the car wants to go straight), but I can dial a lot of this out with tire pressure changes.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I agree 100%. The 10.5 I mentioned are for cruising and possibly drag racing. I wouldn't run them on a car being driving on track or in a spirited fashion in curves. I do prefer a 275/40 on the 9" R rim instead of the 255 as equipped from the factory.

They did a bunch of testing when the R came out and they went with the 255 BFG because it was a very light tire with good grip for the size so it was responsive. I think it rolls under a bit for the rim size.

Tom

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I agree 100%. The 10.5 I mentioned are for cruising and possibly drag racing. I wouldn't run them on a car being driving on track or in a spirited fashion in curves. I do prefer a 275/40 on the 9" R rim instead of the 255 as equipped from the factory.

They did a bunch of testing when the R came out and they went with the 255 BFG because it was a very light tire with good grip for the size so it was responsive. I think it rolls under a bit for the rim size.

Tom

I can tell you the BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2 275/40/17 tire would not fit on my 95R with the stock wheels. This tire was too wide causing it to rub up against the exhaust pipe firmly. Now this very well could have been due to the aftermarket exhaust on my car, but there was not enough adjustment to make it work and I didn't want to use spacers. I do agree it would have fit the wheel better than a 255/45.

brianz426

Established Member
Hi Jason,
Just wanted to let you know I sent pics of the spacers and the way my car looked when they were installed. Let me know if you have any questions.
Brian

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I can tell you the BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2 275/40/17 tire would not fit on my 95R with the stock wheels. This tire was too wide causing it to rub up against the exhaust pipe firmly. Now this very well could have been due to the aftermarket exhaust on my car, but there was not enough adjustment to make it work and I didn't want to use spacers. I do agree it would have fit the wheel better than a 255/45.

i am surprised you got an aftermarket exhaust to fit with the cell. As I recall, Flowmaster had the only exhaust that would clear.

Tom

SLOWBRA

Established Member
i am surprised you got an aftermarket exhaust to fit with the cell. As I recall, Flowmaster had the only exhaust that would clear.

Tom

The previous owner installed it. He said it it was a Bassani. I will take pictures to show how it fits the cell. Once you see it you will understand I can't fit anything wider than a stock tire on the wheel.

Jason95R

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies. I sent you an email back Brian.

The spacers that I'm looking for are purely for aesthetics. If I do end up on the track they would be taken off for the day and I would run the car as Ford engineered it. I understand they would hurt the handling.

I usually check back in at work. (very productive I know) All of the image hosting sites are blocked by my organization so I need to remember to get back on when I'm home. I did get it to show up in my avatar although it's a very small image.

Users who are viewing this thread