First race: got killed!

Hatchman

Established Member
Little back ground, truck is almost stock, has a CAI and cat back Magnaflow, along with a FTVB, but that's it for performance mods. Running low 9's and high 13's before the FTVB in this hot humid FL weather.

So I'm driving down the road today and see this old late 60's Chevy pickup come weaving through traffic like he's trying to catch up to me. I take a right hand turn on to this divided four lane, and he does the same. He's in the other lane, about 3 car lengths back, and I see him punch it. So to avoid what I call the "Chevy Pass", where they get a good head start and blow by you while you play catch up, I go ahead and nail it as well to try to keep him back there.

No chance, this guy goes flying by me like I'm sitting still. I gave him a nice bark during the 1-2 shift right as his window passes my back right tire, and he must have liked the sound because he gave me a nice thumbs up as he hauled past me. And thats right, he had already gained those 3 car lenghts before I ever hit second. I got stomped!

Later on down the road, we evened up and went at it from a 30 mph roll, he jumped ahead until we got to about 60, then it was pretty even, with him sitting a steady 2 car lengths in front of me. I think I could have eventually reeled him in, but we both shut it down at only a few miles over the speed limit (road racing nay sayers at bay).

Talked at the red light, he had a 427, and must have had some low gears the way he just sort of shut down after 60mph. But I never thought I'd get walked like that in an old, beat up pickup.

So..., going outside right now to put on the 4# pulley and Xcal2 tune. Good thing it just came in the mail. :rockon:

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
ITs all good. His motor was probably very hopped up. Guys like that spend all kinds of money building those old engines.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
i had a guy do that to me a while back in an old Ford F-100 body'd truck. Turns out he was tubbed in the back and was running a Windsor motor with something ungodly done to it...

I knew the beating was coming but i didn't know it was going to be as bad as it was. It was on a back road with a marked 1/4 and he probably could have crossed the quarter line, shut it down, got out and gotten a drink out of the cooler by the time i caught him...It was ugly...Turns out the truck was good for low 11's N/A and way deeper than that on a huge nitrous shot...

Hatchman

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the re-encouragement. I just got done putting on the 4# lower and SCT tune, and let me say...

WOW! This truck hauls the chili now. Night, and Day. It's just amazing the amount of acceleration this thing has now. I'm loving it.

I'll be looking around for that Chevy for another go at it. :thumbsup:

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
Hatchman said:
Thanks everyone for the re-encouragement. I just got done putting on the 4# lower and SCT tune, and let me say...

WOW! This truck hauls the chili now. Night, and Day. It's just amazing the amount of acceleration this thing has now. I'm loving it.

I'll be looking around for that Chevy for another go at it. :thumbsup:
don't forget to get a colder spark plug in there too!

Hatchman

Established Member
blownsvtlightning said:
don't forget to get a colder spark plug in there too!

Yep, got some TR6's, I'll put them in this weekend, just ran out of daylight, and it's Friday night, so time for a beer! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread