first round of mods question

cottondoc

Established Member
I am about to do the basic mods to my otherwise stock 2003 Cobra and have a few questions. I tried searching these topics as I am sure they have been covered several times before, but I had trouble finding threads that answered my questions. If anybody has any search terms I could use, that would be great. I am looking to change the intake, blower pulley, the exhaust and tune the car. I am planning on going with a JLT intake or something similar. I am going with either a 2.5 or 3 inch O/R x pipe and catback. What size pulley can I use on the stock blower and still safely run 93 octane pump gas? Would this require an idler change also? The blower pulley is what I have the most questions about. Also any good combo advice about the other parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Stick with a good 2.5 inch exhaust. I'd go with a JLT RAI, and also a 2.76 or 2.8 blower pulley is fine. You might want to consider a 4pc idler set from Billetflow. Metco makes great pulleys as well. Don't forget a smaller pulley will require 1 heat range colder spark plugs. Most people opt for the NGK TR6's if going copper. I currently have the NGK Iridium TR6IX plugs gapped at .032.

cottondoc

Established Member
Thanks for the info, Bdubbs. How important are the idlers? Are they a must with the smaller pulley? Also, how difficult are the plugs to change? I haven't looked too closely to see how easy the plugs are to get to. Thanks again for the info.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the info, Bdubbs. How important are the idlers? Are they a must with the smaller pulley? Also, how difficult are the plugs to change? I haven't looked too closely to see how easy the plugs are to get to. Thanks again for the info.

Stock idlers are known to crack and break! Plugs are really easy to change. Make sure you also get the aux idler (sits next to blower pulley) for better belt wrap and less slip. And like stated get it tuned!

cottondoc

Established Member
Any recs on the tune? I don't live near a shop that tunes Cobras that I am aware of. I will probably go with an off the shelf tuner. Thanks for the info.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Any recs on the tune? I don't live near a shop that tunes Cobras that I am aware of. I will probably go with an off the shelf tuner. Thanks for the info.

American muscle Bama tuning, Amazon, I use Bama and I'm happy. GL

jdcobra

Established Member
I've heard bama chips are good but also the tune from lethal. But supposedly you get free liftime tunes through American muscle with bama chips if you buy a tuner through them

PM a member on here named: GodStang. He's in SC and I'm sure he'll set you up with the right shop.

mi_l123

JDM = Just Dust ME
Established Member
if you don't have it custom dyno tuned, at least check the a/f ratio just to be safe. Look into an IRS brace yet ?

cottondoc

Established Member
I hadn't checked into an IRS brace yet, wanted to hit the basic HP mods first before starting on suspension mods.

Where is amazon?

I'll also check out Godstang and see if he knows of a good shop near North Augusta, SC. Has anybody had any dealings with Kurgan near Atlanta, GA? I have seen his ad in MM&FF. I think Kurgan is a good 3 hour or more drive away. I would like to find someone closer. What about All American Dyno? I know nothing about this place, but I saw a guy at work the other day with a shirt on that said All American Dyno in Augusta, GA. Thanks again for all the info.

Emwun Garand

Established Member
I hadn't checked into an IRS brace yet, wanted to hit the basic HP mods first before starting on suspension mods.

Where is amazon?

I'll also check out Godstang and see if he knows of a good shop near North Augusta, SC. Has anybody had any dealings with Kurgan near Atlanta, GA? I have seen his ad in MM&FF. I think Kurgan is a good 3 hour or more drive away. I would like to find someone closer. What about All American Dyno? I know nothing about this place, but I saw a guy at work the other day with a shirt on that said All American Dyno in Augusta, GA. Thanks again for all the info.

Kurgan has a really good reputation.

jdcobra

Established Member
Trust me, a diff brace will save your rear ends life on more than one occasion. I also have the MM diff mount and aluminum bushings.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
get the billetflow IRS brace and the billetflow idler pullies with the tensioner pullie. i would just get the 2.9 blower pullie, it makes just as much power (or close to it) as a 2.8 or 2.76 with less boost.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member

Where is amazon?

All American Dyno is a Motorcycle shop/Dyno. So you will have a hard time Dynoing. I also am yanking off my headers, mid pipe and Bassani Catback if you have any interest. I PMed you about shops. You looking for a shop to install or are you doing the install and then just having them tune it?

Users who are viewing this thread