First runs with 03 Cobra 1/8 mile???

CobraSS

Established Member
Okay, finally made it to the track. 1/8 mile and I have 1,200 miles on her. I ran several runs and found out real quick that it doesn't like to be hot lapped. So I let it cool down 15-30 minutes in between runs after that. It is stock, only mod is silencer removed. All runs were normal shifts at red line (or close to it).

Best run
2.114 - 60 foot
8.599 - ET
84.56 MPH

3 runs were in the 8.6s

and the hot lap runs were 8.8 and 8.9, ouch!

I am not familure with 1/8 mile times, but what I can figure out is this is a mid 13, 1/4 mile time. Can't say as I am very happy about that, but have only my skills to blame. :??:

The majority of my runs had 2.1s for 60 foot times. I was pretty happy about that as my 60 foot times are usually much worse with other cars. I was getting the best times with launching at 2,500-2,700 and slipping the clutch. The tires would break loose for a second and then the car would bouge for a second when they caught traction. :shrug:

I was going there hoping for 12s (1/4 mile converted), but have learned in the past I am never as fast as I want or thought to be.

Any suggestions and or helpful comments would be appreciated. At first I was happy with the times as they seemed to be pretty good for what everyone else there was running, but then I just had to come home and convert the times and now I want to do much better. :cryying:

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
I am in the same climate as you, my near stock 1/8's were in the 8.5's also. I was running low 13's in the 1/4. Are you speed shifting(not power)? These cars lose alot if your let off the gas to much in-between shifts. Your car will pick up a some with a little more break-in also.
Slap a cai and exhaust on it and you should be in the low 8's@87+(cai,exhuast, and chip I was running 8.1x@88). Or just throw a pulley and say hello to 7's:rockon:

jason

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
2.1xx & 8.5xx wont get u into the 12's....sorry :(

But thats not bad....i could never get under a 2.0xx with my F1's or Kuhmos :bash:

DR's are a different story ;-)......BTW im a slow learner & it took me well over 6months of being at the track to him my times + Plus Cali tracks arent all that either :eek:

Maybe ur 2nd to 3rd shift needs to be a bit faster?

:rockon:

JTSMUSTANG

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraSS
Best run
2.114 - 60 foot
8.599 - ET
84.56 MPH

3 runs were in the 8.6s

and the hot lap runs were 8.8 and 8.9, ouch!...
The closest 1/4 mile timeslip I've got to that is this one:

60' 2.171
1/8...8.605
mph..86.45
1/4...13.036
mph..114.61

I had trouble launching it (tirespin without any wheelhop through 1st) and then when I shifted into 2nd I got tirespin with rather severe wheelhop and had to lift and get back on the gas again.:fm:
Anyhoo hope it gives you some idea.

CobraSS

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I am not power shifting, just shifting normal as fast as I can. With the way I am shifting now it is still chirping the tires in 2 and 3 at the track. I have done the power shifting thing in the past with my other 5.0Ls and just ended up messing up the tranny. So I am trying to stay away from it with the cobra for now. I will work on my launch some more and try to get my 60 foot times down. My only future mods are going to be CAI and cat-back. I am going to try and get the best times I can get with it being basically stock. In the past I would always throw more HP at my cars and hope it improved my times. I think it is time for me to actually learn the car and get the most out of it I can.
By the way, I experianced absolutely no wheel hop at the track. :shrug: Guess I am lucky, or not driving it hard enough.

I have noticed by looking at other peoples times on this site, that 8.5s seem to be very low 13s for our cars, so I am happier with that. I guess our cars pull very strong through 3rd.
Later

ken03

Established Member
8.5 is pretty good for not powershifting. My car when it was stock was running 8.8 in the summer. Nitto 315 D.R will help alot!! With sock f1's the best i could get was 1.9 & 2.0. With the nittos my best is 1.71. I say get some D.R's and powershift.
So far the best i've done is [email protected] with a 1.71 60ft.

Good Luck

Ken:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread