First Speeding Ticket

Tpxsss

Established Member
NY- 48 in a 30, I was listening to the radio about donte stallworth getting off with 30 days in jail and didnt realize my speed. A NYS Trooper gave me the ticket. Its my first speeding ticket, should I mail it in asking for a reduction if I take a defensive driving course or should I go to court and ask for it, or get a lawyer? :shrug:

CFCreations

Established Member
In Arizona 15mph or over is a felony and a judge could pull the persons license and they could recieve other judgement like jail etc.

Check NY to see at what speed over the limit does it become a felony or wreckless driving. You may need a lawyer if it is.

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
In Arizona 15mph or over is a felony and a judge could pull the persons license and they could recieve other judgement like jail etc.

Check NY to see at what speed over the limit does it become a felony or wreckless driving. You may need a lawyer if it is.

WTF.....felony as in felony? as in cant find work, as in cant vote, as in maybe not being able to get a passport as in felony?...

I guess im a hardened criminal per AZ stature.:nonono:

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Im in NY as well. What you do is plead "not guilty" on the ticket, and request a supporting deposition(there is a spot to check for that also on the ticket). If you do not recieve the deposition by your court date, the ticket gets thrown out. Also, with it being your 1st ticket, chances are youre just going to get a parking on the pavement, or have it reduced quite a bit. Worse come to worse, you get a 2pt conviction, then take a DD course, and can get it removed. GL man!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

I guarantee you are neither a lawyer or a L.E.O.!!

You are completely wrong.

Arizona has a two level speeding statute which makes it a civil violation to be driving at a speed up to nineteen miles-an-hour over the speed limit and a criminal speeding statute which covers people driving at twenty miles-an-hour or more over the posted speed limit.

At 20 mph over the posted limit it becomes a criminal charge, but that criminal charge is a misdemeanor and NOT a felony.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member

Arizona has a two level speeding statute which makes it a civil violation to be driving at a speed up to nineteen miles-an-hour over the speed limit and a criminal speeding statute which covers people driving at twenty miles-an-hour or more over the posted speed limit.

At 20 mph over the posted limit it becomes a criminal charge, but that criminal charge is a misdemeanor and NOT a felony.

Yup. Up here its 40 over becomes a criminal charge, and you can be arrested for it upon officers descretion. I forget what the exact term for it is..

gucci

00BlkLght
Established Member
i can even remember my first speeding ticket. my last was 115 in a 50. drag racing in a supposed construction zone! i went to jail on the spot. 300 to get out then another 1200 for lawyer and court costs.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
i can even remember my first speeding ticket. my last was 115 in a 50. drag racing in a supposed construction zone! i went to jail on the spot. 300 to get out then another 1200 for lawyer and court costs.

Unauthorized speed contest?

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
Always send it back with a not guilty plea to leave your options open. In NY speeding 11-20 over the limit is a 4 Point violation and a $90-300 fine plus a surcharge

Your insurance will also go up for the next three years. Although the amount will vary depending on your insurance carrier, the more points the greater increase. Point reduction classes will only have an impact on the number of points counted by DMV towards loosing you license and will have no impact on the points used by your insurance carrier in determining your rate increase.

How the ticket is handled i.e. hearings/trial, plea bargaining etc varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and from courthouse to courthouse. It is also different if it is returnable to a Traffic Violation Bureau "TVB", which is not a court but an administrative body run by DMV. Here in Suffolk County it is particularly hard to deal with the TVB

The good news is that most likely the your speed can be lowered as part of a plea bargain. Again every court is different, you may or may not be able to plea bargain without a lawyer and a lawyer may or may not be able to work out a better deal. The cost of a lawyer should be considered against the cost in fines and the increase in insurance if you are convicted of the full charge. Talk to a lawyer, most will not charge for a consultation.

Good luck

Last edited:

theraapster

Established Member
Your insurance will also go up for the next three years. Although the amount will vary depending on your insurance carrier, the more points the greater increase. Point reduction classes will only have an impact on the number of points counted by DMV towards loosing you license and will have no impact on the points used by your insurance carrier in determining your rate increase.

Is this true everywhere or just NY? I just got my first speeding ticket recently and I was under the impression that there would be no points assigned at all in KY if I go to the state traffic school.

smokem331

Established Member

I bet You are right about him not being a l.e.o. Here in az its actually 21 mph or over to make it criminal speed.(no biggie.)

Users who are viewing this thread