first thoughts on the new motor!

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I've put about 50 miles on the new motor so far. And i'm impressed. Really haven't laid in it yet. Only brought it up to about 5K at 3/4 throttle.

The car pulls HARD in 4th gear though. Just putting it in 4th, at around 1800rpms and just accelerating at about 3/4 throttle it just gets up and GOES. and pulls harder as the rpms go up.

I've got a slight coolant leak from under the intake hat :(. Started overheating slightly on my way to work. Luckily i have a gallon of antifreeze in the car.

after the new kmember and a-arms i need a front end alignment BAD! Car has a few more rattles and squeeks than i remember. I guess i just need to tighten stuff up.

I haven't taken it out ont he freeway yet, so i don't know how the manners are. With the cut springs in the back the car rides fine. its not as soft as uncut stock springs, but not anywhere close to having the old road race springs on there.

New transmission feels good. Still got some whining, i guess its just the TKO's. Shifts fine, though. It generates lots of heat, i'll be looking to adding some heat and sound absorbing material in the trans tunnel.

So tonight i'm taking the intake hat off and see why/where its leaking from up under there. I figure its just that hose and i forgot to put the clamp on good.

My speecal took a dump so i have no idea how fast i'm going. all the connections looked good and tested good on the voltameter. but the light on the speedcal wasn't coming on. I dunno. Then messing with it, i think i fried it :(

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
yeah..that's the truth.

I guess i can tell a little bit about the new motor.

Not much has changed. For those not in the know, I broke the stock alum block. The chunk right below the starter housing broke off. This in turn caused the transmission to not align to the block. Causing all sorts of driveline problems. Solution: new block.

I transferred my entire rotating assembly over (VT Stroker kit). I had the heads dissassembled, checked and reassembled. New valve seals were installed. The heads were also decked.

I found that my IMRC delete did not have the holes between the cylinders plugged. I plugged them.

I'm running 11.2:1 compression (as opposed to 10.8:1 previously), stock cams (degreed), lightly worked heads and intake, JLT tube, K&N filter and agsf32c spark plugs, and FRPP 9mm wires. That's all that is done to the motor - stock pulleys and TB and everything.

I can't get over how strong it pulls in 4th. Maybe i'm just used to driving a turd (98 4.6L Expedition with 208K miles)...but this thing pulls like a freight train....just wish i had a working speedometer to compare it to how it feels :)

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i've already got one for the previous motor. Nothing has changed much to really affect the tune.

I will throw it on a dyno, however, and check the A/F ratios. If the A/F ratios are okay, then i'll leave it be. Otherwise i'll get it retuned.

Users who are viewing this thread