First time at paint correction

brys00gt

Established Member
This is my first time trying this on my own. I purchased a griot garage DA. Got some pads and decided on using meguiars 105 and 205.
I thought my car looked good to begin with but after just using the 105 I was floored.
Here are some pictures of the reflection so far. My only complaint is it got so dusty. If anyone had any suggestions on how to avoid the dust please let me know.
pu8ybuve.jpg

vunybuby.jpg

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Well there are many ways. First is to start off with a new clean pad, old pads will dust if not properly cared for. Next prime the pad before spreading product on the paint. In some cases you can mist mineral oil on the paint as your working the product. This can prolong working time and reduce dusting. Change out your pads regularly and work in small sections, do not over work the product as this also will lead to excessive dusting.

Here is an article by Kevin Brown (know as the KBM or Kevin Brown Method):
http://www.buffdaddy.com/files/1519584/uploaded/022409R-O-3pageversion.pdf

Good luck, if you have any other problems or questions let me know.

brys00gt

Established Member
I started with brand new pads and worked in a 2x2 section at a time. I primed the pad based on what I saw in the junkman videos. Maybe because it was a brand new foam pad? Ill watch your video when I get home. Thanks for the help.

Electrokid

Established Member
If you're detailing the whole vehicle it shouldn't really matter whether you get it dusty or not. It could be possible that you're using too much product at a time.
When starting a new panel I will make an thin X across the pad with product and then 'kiss the surface' of the area I'm going to work. After that product is worked in, I will put just a few drops on the pad if necessary, but I won't load it up again with the X shape. (Just my technique.)

I would wipe down the dust after doing the 205 and not worry about 105 dust. I use a microfiber cloth that pulls product off from one side, and the other side of the cloth is really plush and picks up all the little traces of dust.

After 105/205 I just give the whole vehicle a once-over with that microfiber and she's ready to go for glaze/wax/sealant

brys00gt

Established Member
I loaded the pad by using 4 pea size drops on the pad and dabbing it on the panel then turned machine on and moved at a quick pace. After the pad wad loaded when it needed more product I would put 3 pea size drops on the pad.

Thx for the help. I def will try the tips.

Electrokid

Established Member
Ok, so that rules out the "too much product" theory.

Remember when first applying the product though to spread it out using 1500-2000 rpm for the first pass.
After spreading it out 105 = 5000/5500 rpm, 205 = 4000-5000 rpm.

Can't remember where I read those numbers, but I believe it was on the Meguiars forums. I follow that and it works well for me. For the 105 though I don't usually go over 4800/5000 rpm. That stuff can generate some decent heat.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
Car looks good, just remember, better to have too much material on there than not enough. Once done you should go over the car anyway to remove all the dust, etc....

brys00gt

Established Member
Finished up with the 105 last night and it went much better. I was using the 5 setting on the da. Hardly any dust. I think the problem was the pad. Tried a different one and it was perfect.
Now onto 205 today. Ill try thr 4 setting for that.

Thanks for the help guys. Ill post up pics after I do the 205.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Nice, glad it all worked out for you. I have found that it almost always is the pad. That is if your using the product correctly. Should look nice after 205. What are you going to seal with?

brys00gt

Established Member
I'm going to try the surf city sealant. Came highly recommended from a friend.

brys00gt

Established Member
Here's some pics all done. Thanks for all the help. I think it turned out great. Comments are welcome.
Those are not swirls but the reflection of the sun

yhabuqun.jpg

uqujy6ah.jpg

mahehy6a.jpg

uqemyqa7.jpg

uqe7yqan.jpg

Last edited:

brys00gt

Established Member
Thanks. Those are clouds and some dust already. Gotta love black. I literally rolled her outside dusted her off and took the pictures.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Not anymore, thanks to the Air Force. I was born in Westerly, grew up in Ashaway (Hopkinton), and graduated from Chariho HS. My folks (and a number of long-time friends) are still there, so we visit from time-to-time. Since there isn't a lot of square mileage to the state, however, I'm always curious about specific locations when I hear someone lives/lived there...

Electrokid

Established Member
Haha gotta love it, but black is definitely one of the most rewarding colours too.

Re-watched the Junkman2000 videos on Youtube for myself today, and I noticed in there that he suggests to mist the pad with a quick detail spray lightly to reduce dust.

Users who are viewing this thread