first time at the track - H E L P

Damascus Cobra

2003 RedFire Convertible
Established Member
2003 Cobra Convertible - 10,000 miles

i spent the day at Capitol Raceway (Crofton, MD) on friday - a nice cool day -with a varied group of friends and cars... out of about 18 runs, here is my best time slip of the day:

R/T .813
60' 2.069
1/8 8.207
MPH 92.80
1/4 12.528
MPH 115.55

mods:

Lidio's performance package and custom tune: www.alternativeauto.com

http://www.alternativeauto.com/misc/03_cobra_package.html

- dyno: 460RWHP/468RWTQ
- K&N FIPK
- 2.8 upper
- Bassini x-pipe (2 high flow cats)
- Borla cat-back (14858)
- centerforce dual friction clutch - DF800075
- H&R race springs
- Nitto NT-555 Extreme Performance tires (rear: 285/35/18)

i thought given the numbers that i could get it in the 11's. i suspect that the 18" street rubber did not help much. tire pressure was set around 25 pounds and believe it or not, it hooked up okay, or at least i thought it did. i was launching at ~3000 RPM and rolling on the throttle to keep from spinning too much.

any thoughts would be helpful! thanks - i can take it! :-D

Last edited:

DJE55

What a loser! All that power and only mid 12's. JK I can't beleive none of your Cobra boys are chiming in! Where are you guys??? Someone help out with some opinions on this time and MPH. I beleive with tires and more seat time you're in the low 12's and maybe high 11's the way the car sits. Anyone else have any ideas????

Evil_SVT

Established Member
Get some good tires and you will hook allot better but I doubt that will help your 1/4 & mph time because it appears that you are granny shifting that's why your mph sucks.
keep practicing, get a shift light and work on your shifting

bullitt5177

I Eat Rice
Established Member
Practice, practice, practice. It was your first time!! Not to mention, I can't imagine you were getting great traction with the street tires. By the way, lowering your tire pressure on street tires is a load. All that does is wear them out a little quicker. Lowering your PSI is for DRs and slicks.

EDIT: Actually, from your trap speed, it looks like the tires are gripping, maybe it's just your shifting.

DJE55

Based on mods and MPH what should he be seeing in ET? I have to disagree with you about the MPH. Look at the 60' time, that's the only true way of telling if you're hooking or not. I would like to know what some of the other guys are running (ET) with a 115MPH trap speed? That will give him a better idea of where he should be. Can he get this thing in the high 11's?

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Your 60' times are hurting you the most. Clearly your MPH is good. Practice your launch on the Nitto's, there are a few guys here who cut 1.7X's with Nitto's.

If you pull a 1.7 60' time that should put you at or very near 11.99

Venimus03

Established Member
DJE55 said:
Based on mods and MPH what should he be seeing in ET? I have to disagree with you about the MPH. Look at the 60' time, that's the only true way of telling if you're hooking or not. I would like to know what some of the other guys are running (ET) with a 115MPH trap speed? That will give him a better idea of where he should be. Can he get this thing in the high 11's?

I ran a 12.11 @ 115 with only and intake and exhaust with drag radials and a stock tune. I saw that his 1/8th mile was only about a 8.2 where as my 1/8 mile was a 7.8 @ 92mph. Are you sure you are taking it up to redline and not short shifting? Granny shifting? That could be one of your problems too. I think that with a 2.8 pulley you mph should be around 117 or so.......Defnitley get some drag radials on that bad boy too. I don't think that 18in rims would hurt your et and mph that much but maybe you could put your stock 17in rims back on if you still have them and give it another shot :shrug:

DJE55

He was taking the car up to redline but no power shifting at all. I can't imagine loosing that much MPH by not power shifting? Also, remember as your 60' times go down so does your MPH so with a better launch the MPH will be even slower? The car will be in the low 12's for sure the way it sits with just better 60's but I don't know where he should be based on his mods?

modmayhem88

Established Member
Crapitol is a notoriously poor hooking track. some better 60ft's , some tires and practice shifting and you;ll hit 11's. your mph isn't bad

experiment626

ALL MOTOR CARS RULE
Established Member
Good passes

Good passes bro just pratice and youll be there.And by the way DR'S suck and I dont know why people buy them get some M/T ET streets and lunch at about 5500 RPM and yuoll be there. :coolman:

383man

Established Member
Just a comparison I know its not the same car but hey. My brothers 72 dodge dart runs 11.5's-11.6's normally with a 116 mph. But his 60' is on 28" slicks with 4.30 gears. And basically a mild 400 with a 557 cam and aluminum heads not ported or even touched. But his 60' I believe is in the high 1.5's like 1.59 or something. His car has more gear and a tire under it but no power adder and not too nasty of a motor at all. So I mean I guess high 11's would be pretty good right there just work that shifting and get a nice slick and you're there. Thanks Tim

Users who are viewing this thread