First time at the track with my 5.0, results!

Intervention302

Established Member
0915101453.jpg

Well, I am back from the track, very interesting experience...

First off, the tires are a 275/50/17 M&H Racemaster Drag Radial. I used 15-16psi and a 4600rpm dump

My first pass was a 12.71 @ 113 with a 2.16 60', it spun bad. A mixture of too much air(19psi) and too much rpm (5000). But the car shifted fairly decent

2nd pass, 12.52 @ 110.36 with a 1.88 60'. This time I lowered to 17psi and tried 4000rpm launch. It bogged. However, on the 3-4 shift, the clutch stuck to the floor making the shift take MUCH longer, lowering the trap speed. I decided to let the car cool for 1 hour hoping it would get rid of the clutch issue

3rd pass, 12.49 @ 109.9 with a 1.80 60'. Car launched great, 4300rpm. Slight bog However, the clutch acted up in the 2-3 and the 3-4 shift again. Messing with my trap speed

4th pass, 12.455 @ 109.3 with a 1.755 60'. Car felt awesome off the line, slight spin but they REALLY hooked great. 3-4 second burnout in first gear, saw some smoke. Launched at 4600rpm. However, the clutch really did its toll on the 1-2,2-3,3-4 shifts. Totally killed the ET and trap. I feel with a properly working clutch and the fantastic air this evening, a 12.2 was not out of the question. Not bad for tune only...

Crappy Videos coming soon! As well as hopefully a fix from Ford.

As a side note, I saw a VERY special 2011 5.0L tonight. Sponsored by Ford Racing and Livernois. Lets just say, it had a few boltons(intake, tune, FRPP intake manifold, and full exhaust) and ran 11.1 @ 122. Granted it may very well have more, thats all i could quickly see and he was quite secretive so I dont have more data. He did say the FRPP/Boss intake manifold is worth the time/money, but cant give me specific results as of yet

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Good times for the mods and the clutch issues!! :beer:

I'm hoping to take mine to the track for the first time as soon as my aluminum driveshaft and JLT CAI get here. I also have the clutch sticking to the floor problem. I'm going to try and remove the spring on the clutch pedal before going to the track.

I bought a set of 245/45/17 Nitto DR's that I mounted on a set of 2008 17x8 Bullit wheels. According to the gear ratio calculator the shorter tire height should increase my gear ratio from 3.73 to 3.96!

Very interesting on the FRPP 'test' car. I look forward to hearing more details on it. Was it a automatic or stick car?

metaman

Established Member
Hey guys with the clutch pedal problem. Lethalperformance figured out that it is the design of the clutch pedal assembly. Just switch it out for a gt500 assembly.

Intervention302

Established Member
Does the GT500 pedal assembly completely fix the problem though? I dont want to spend the money on it only to find out the problem is still there

wazslow

Established Member
I dont think the pedal assembly is the whole fix. I think that the actual clutch/pressure plate assembly also needs to be changed for a permanent fix. The only clutch's out there are mccloed for $1100+!

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
As a side note, I saw a VERY special 2011 5.0L tonight. Sponsored by Ford Racing and Livernois. Lets just say, it had a few boltons(intake, tune, FRPP intake manifold, and full exhaust) and ran 11.1 @ 122. Granted it may very well have more, thats all i could quickly see and he was quite secretive so I dont have more data. He did say the FRPP/Boss intake manifold is worth the time/money, but cant give me specific results as of yet

where did they get the intake manifold? is it the BOSS intake?

Intervention302

Established Member
Last edited:

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
The car seen at the track is our shop car. The manifold is a FRPP test piece similar to the BOSS manifold.

It really needs a set of cams to get the full power out of the current mods. There is no weight reduction other than removing the spare tire and jack and of course the wheels/tires.

Mods are:

Livernois Motorsports 12:1 Shortblock
Livernois Motorsports Stage 1 CNC Heads
FRPP Manifold
Stainless Works Headers, Catted Mid-Pipe, and Catback
Steeda CAI
4.10 Ring & Pinion
Circle D 4,000 Stall Converter
Livernois Motorsports 1-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
Livernois Motorsports Dyno Tune
FRPP Springs & Adjustable Shocks/Struts
Drag Radials/Skinnies

I think it has 10's in it as it sits, it just needs some suspension tweaks. It would easily do it with a slick or weight reduction.

1115slip.jpg

-Rick

Last edited:

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
The car seen at the track is our shop car. The manifold is a FRPP test piece similar to the BOSS manifold.

It really needs a set of cams to get the full power out of the current mods. There is no weight reduction other than removing the spare tire and jack and of course the wheels/tires.

Mods are:

Livernois Motorsports 12:1 Shortblock
Livernois Motorsports Stage 1 CNC Heads
FRPP Manifold
Stainless Works Headers, Catted Mid-Pipe, and Catback
4.10 Ring & Pinion
Livernois Motorsports Dyno Tune
FRPP Springs & Adjustable Shocks/Struts
Drag Radials/Skinnies

I think it has 10's in it as it sits, it just needs some suspension tweaks. It would easily do it with a slick or weight reduction.

1115slip.jpg

-Rick

Thanks for the mod list! Are you also running the 1 piece aluminum driveshaft in this car? Any type of CAI kit or just the stock air box?

Great times!!

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
Thanks for the mod list! Are you also running the 1 piece aluminum driveshaft in this car? Any type of CAI kit or just the stock air box?

Great times!!

Thanks!

I thought I had that in the original post, but thanks for catching that. It does have a Steeda CAI and 1-piece aluminum shaft. I fixed my post above.

-Rick

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
AGAIN, JUST TO VERIFY THE INTAKE IS NOT A BOSS INTAKE. IT IS A FORD RACING TEST MANIFOLD FROM ONE OF THEIR RACE PROGRAMS. To my knowledge, the Boss intake won't be available for a few months.

Thank you,

Rick

Intervention302

Established Member
AGAIN, JUST TO VERIFY THE INTAKE IS NOT A BOSS INTAKE. IT IS A FORD RACING TEST MANIFOLD FROM ONE OF THEIR RACE PROGRAMS. To my knowledge, the Boss intake won't be available for a few months.

Thank you,

Rick

From the looks of it, this helps the car hold power to a higher RPM. Gets rid of the drop at ~6700

Any insight on when the numbers will be released? Or when FRPP releases it I should say

Tucker

Rick, great job driving!!

Kevin, killer times. The clutch fix is a McLeod clutch. The pedal helps, but the problem is in the pressure plate.
BTW, Fords putting a new tranny in mine next week ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread