First time at track w/ slicks

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Alright guys, I have myself some M/T slicks and I was thinking about running at the track this Fri. I have a couple of problems first that I could use some help with. First I have a stock King Cobra clutch, about half way through its life. Next I have only Steeda HD uppers and their solid lower control arms, 3.73 gears, Ford Trac Lock diff. and 31 spline setup, and on top of that I am making 540 hp and 450 tq.

You guys think I could run my car safely? Or am I going to break something?

Now I know I can't do 4 grand clutch drops off the line, but can I still utilize the advantage of slicks without having to tow my car home?

BTW I ran my car with 515 hp and 430 tq with my 4.10 gears on Nitto Drag Radials and my car survived, but I did get some wheel hop.

uofipilot

Established Member
I think you're probably gonna get a crazy amount of slipage out of the KC. Might actually be good that that's the weak point though. T45 and your clutch sound like the weak points so far.

Just go and find out what the weak link is, break it, make it better, then start looking for the next weak link.

95MUSTGT

Established Member
Well just a little info i ran mt drags with stock supension, king corba clutch, 4.10 gears and spraying 150 of the line, and i was launching at about 4500 with no problem. but your making a little more hp then i was.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Yep, break it..........fix it.

Launch that puppy.

+1. Process of elimination. Eventually I replaced all the weak points and now I'm confident in my drivetrain.

Aside from a weak clutch the tranny will hold the launch. I'd leave at like 5000-5500. You'll never go back to a DR once you leave on slicks. Its soooo much fun. :rockon:

-Mark

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
you would have a better chance at breaking something if you launched on those wheels less than ~4500rpm, cause all you are gonna do is bog and hurt something...It's better to launch too high and spin than to not launch hard enough and bog, cause that is when stuff breaks...

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
lol.. go for it then.. I was just trying to keep the clutch from slipping too bad.. I launched my car at 5K on ET streets, but my car probably doesn't make but 280 at the wheels and I have a Ram Clutch.

epracmetcon

Established Member
you would have a better chance at breaking something if you launched on those wheels less than ~4500rpm, cause all you are gonna do is bog and hurt something...It's better to launch too high and spin than to not launch hard enough and bog, cause that is when stuff breaks...

Werd, you will go slower if you bog as well.

Drive that thing like its not yours.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
this thread is full of win advice

I know nothing makes me happier than hearing someone say 'Just drive the shit out of it' lol!

Venom351R

Established Member
Great thread, I'm buying some MT Slicks this weekend for the track next season

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Well I would, but I am worried because this is my DD!!!!

Still drive it like I stole it?

I wanna do a weak launch, keep it around idle and slip in the clutch on my first run, to see how things go. Next I will try higher RPMs, perhaps that 4.5k most of you guys agree one, but slipping in the clutch as well. If all that works and my car is still in uno piece, then I will go balls to the wall and drive it like I need to make an insurance claim! haha

Last edited:

Venom351R

Established Member
Well I would, but I am worried because this is my DD!!!!

Still drive it like I stole it?

I wanna do a weak launch, keep it around idle and slip in the clutch on my first run, to see how things go. Next I will try higher RPMs, perhaps that 4.5k most of you guys agree one, but slipping in the clutch as well. If all that works and my car is still in uno piece, then I will go balls to the wall and drive it like I need to make an insurance claim! haha

You might as well be running DR's if your not going to be using slicks the way they were intended. 4-5K dump off the line.

A. Either stick w/ a DR if your worried about breaking something b/c its your DD

B. Just go for it and what happens happens.

Hope you have aftermarket axles.

bob6364

Established Member
The possibility of breaking something in the drivetrain with a Hard launch is alot higher on a Drag Radial because they don't wrap up like a slick will.That clutch you have needs to be upgraded soon for your HP level.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The possibility of breaking something in the drivetrain with a Hard launch is alot higher on a Drag Radial because they don't wrap up like a slick will.

That is what everyone thinks but think about what you see.

I see way more broken drive trains on slicks than on DRs with twice the cars running DRs.

Could it be,
1. People just launch and a much higher RPM with slicks knowing they will stick?

2. A 1.4 60' on a slick is still harder on the car than a 1.5-1.6 on a DR?

Don't know but it is what I see most.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
That is what everyone thinks but think about what you see.

I see way more broken drive trains on slicks than on DRs with twice the cars running DRs.

Could it be,
1. People just launch and a much higher RPM with slicks knowing they will stick?

2. A 1.4 60' on a slick is still harder on the car than a 1.5-1.6 on a DR?

Don't know but it is what I see most.

+1. I think this is like the 3rd time I've quoted you and added +1 in this thread. lol. But I agree, I think slicks are much harder on the rear.

-Mark

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
+2....all other things being equal quicker 60' eqaul greater chance of breaking shit.... its just physics.

Users who are viewing this thread