first time at track with 03 cobra with ported eaton

hisssncobra03

Established Member
First time at the track with my cobra, ran a 12.08 @ 117 with a stock slipping clutch lol. Mods- posi ported eaton, 2.76 upper 2lb lower, cai, xpipe with highflow cats, stock irs. Thought it was alright time with a slipping clutch and know forsure it has high 11's in it! Was running with 18's up front and stock 17's in back with 275 nitto 555r's. What else can i do to improve times besides getting a better clutch? thanks

hisssncobra03

Established Member
yeah i hear ya, can't wait to put in the new clutch and actually launch a little more aggressive without worrying about the clutch

hurikane85

Established Member
once you get a clutch you will be in the 11's for sure, how were the 555'rs doing? make sure the car is cool between runs really helps. my termi ran way different if I let her cool for an hour or so when arriving to the track. Which meant i couldn't just bust out like 5 runs in two hours like my mach 1.

hisssncobra03

Established Member
once you get a clutch you will be in the 11's for sure, how were the 555'rs doing? make sure the car is cool between runs really helps. my termi ran way different if I let her cool for an hour or so when arriving to the track. Which meant i couldn't just bust out like 5 runs in two hours like my mach 1.

The 555'r were doing awesome actually, hooking well enough to make my clutch slip a little lol. I should have let it cool down more between runs cause they get heat soaked so easy, but yeah it would forsure be high 11's with clutch and better cool downs betweens runs.

myslowstang

Established Member
I'm still am new to cobra world and I now have a ported blower also (upper only). I ran a 12.0 @ 120 with a 2.0-2.1 60' and that was on some 18" street tires. I was getting wheel hop badly so I was getting out of it. I was never able to get traction with the street tires.
I just went to the track this last weekend with my new DR's and I just hit a 11.6 @ 122 with a 1.8 60"
I still think I can get the 60' down lower and hit low 11's but like you with practice I'll do better.

ctgreddy

Established Member
what are you guys with the ported blowers shifting at? i just went out and ran the times in my sig, and with similar mods only i have an sra w/ 373's. every launch i seem to short shift 1st for some reason(around 5500) then i shift at around 6 on all other gears. are you guys taking the rpms higher?

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Op get some new tires/wheels, let the car sit a little bit when you arive at the track (maybe bag of ice on the blower if you want), and get that clutch fixed, and maybe some suspension.

Its amazing what seat time and tires will do for a car.... I use to run 7.7x in the 1/8th with pulley/bolt ons, I got some supsension, 15inch track wheels, and practiced and got down into the 7.4x's and I didnt even let me car cool down as much as I should have.

myslowstang

Established Member
what are you guys with the ported blowers shifting at? i just went out and ran the times in my sig, and with similar mods only i have an sra w/ 373's. every launch i seem to short shift 1st for some reason(around 5500) then i shift at around 6 on all other gears. are you guys taking the rpms higher?

I started off shifting at 6k but found that 6.5k works better for me.
I'm finding it hard to launch with the stock IRS. You have a SRA so you may not be having the same problem. I can't launch it hard (yet) and can't go WOT until I know I have traction. The wheel hop with the IRS is what's killing me.

ctgreddy

Established Member
i'm gonna try shifting a little higher and will block my mind out on the first gear and shift at 6500, or try a few inbetween. my last time out i had slicks and oculd not hook because there was zero track prep, best 60 was a 1.77, my setup should be good for 1.5's so if i can get that down and shift higher to get another mph or two out of it i'll be very pleased.

myslowstang

Established Member
My peak power is at ~6100 RPMs so shifting at 6500 is ideal.
Rule of thumb is to shift 500 RPMs above peak power and adjust from there. The only reason I'm not shifting above 6500 RPMs is because the car was only tuned to 6500.

Users who are viewing this thread