First time manual driver, couple questions

shatteredglass

Established Member
Hi guys - I picked up my TR 04 Mach 1 yesterday. This is my first manual transmission car, so I have a couple questions (probably silly ones). I just don't want to be messing anything up (spent all my money on the car, no money for burnt clutches!).

First of all, what RPMs should be I shifting at for daily driving? I have a CBR600 sportbike and I usually shift around 8000 RPM on that, but that doesn't redline until like 15k or something like that. I've been shifting around 3000-4000 RPMs (usually closer to 4 from first -> second, I feel like I would only have a few seconds in first gear if I didn't wait until 4K...plus I like the exhaust note :) ).

Second, should my shifter ball be getting excessively hot? I drove it for around 4 hours last night just taking my time (I did a few quick accels, but nothing crazy), and the shifter ball was practically on fire. I don't know if this is due to my poor shifting, or something else all together.

Are gears 1 and 2 supposed to be somewhat hard to "push" into? My palm is a little sore today from pushing it into 1st and 2nd for a few hours yesterday.

Finally, what other components of the car are likely changed/upgraded if exhaust is done? Specifically, how can I tell if have different X-pipes or whatever. The previous owner has apparently put on a nice set of Bassani pipes that sound pretty good - I'm just wondering what else was likely modified.

I'll get some pics up soon, 40K miles and she looks great :)

Thanks guys! I'm sure I will have more questions soon.

Shackleford

Established Member
People that care about gas mileage will be shifting around 2000. For normal driving I usually shift 2500-3500 and ditch practically everyone at stop lights.A lot of the time shift 1st sooner, like around 2000 I think.

The manual has a good guideline

Shift from
1 @ 11mph
2 @ 19mph
3 @ 30mph
4 @ 40mph

It's normal to feel heat, I think this is most noticeable when you first start driving it but you get used to it. I don't know what else you've driven, but that kind of thing is also pretty normal for this type of car. Make sure you're not putting a death grip on the shifter :D

If it's "hard" to push into gear you might have an aftermarket shifter... I remember the stock shifter being very soft. Personally I prefer the shifter not to be soft.

If you see a x pipe it's aftermarket. Stock is a h pipe with four cats.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
People that care about gas mileage will be shifting around 2000. For normal driving I usually shift 2500-3500 and ditch practically everyone at stop lights.A lot of the time shift 1st sooner, like around 2000 I think.

The manual has a good guideline

Shift from
1 @ 11mph
2 @ 19mph
3 @ 30mph
4 @ 40mph

It's normal to feel heat, I think this is most noticeable when you first start driving it but you get used to it. I don't know what else you've driven, but that kind of thing is also pretty normal for this type of car. Make sure you're not putting a death grip on the shifter :D

If it's "hard" to push into gear you might have an aftermarket shifter... I remember the stock shifter being very soft. Personally I prefer the shifter not to be soft.

If you see a x pipe it's aftermarket. Stock is a h pipe with four cats.

+1 for the most part.

The 'hot shifter' could depend on the sunlight hitting it. It's metal and will get hot/cold.

For hard shifting, that could be a few things.....your driving, a/m shifter, a mech. issue.

I shifted around 3k.

4valvemach

Established Member
I shift at 2k for the daily trips and as far as the shifter goes yes it will get warm.My 2nd gear syncro started to go around 50k first hard to shift 1-2 then a little grind 1-2 then FULL GRIND on all 1-2 shifts.:(

If you wanted you could pop the shifter cover off and see if you got a after market shifter.
Takes just few secounds

P.S.
congrats on the new mach you will LOVE IT

Robman420

Mach 'n You
Established Member
i shift between 2000-2500rpm and replaced the stock shifter with a cobra clone imo its much better for banging threw gears have fun withe the mach.

Users who are viewing this thread