First Time out

jsimmonstx

Established Member
carbed 427/tremec s197 on regular street tires:

The three passes I was able to make:

13.2335 @ 117.8mph - 60-ft 2.4210
13.3929 @ 96.59mph - 60-ft 2.1076
13.2358 @ 117.6mph - 60-ft 2.4134

I suppose that ain't too bad for my first time at a drag strip since 1985 in a car that ain't setup for that kind of racing.

I was lined up for my 4th run when the car started backfiring through the carb. Towed it home (no tools to fix it at the track) and found that the #2 intake rocker arm had come loose and the associated push rod is juuuuust slightly bent.

With better tires, this would be an 11-second car. With Nitrous, 10 seconds.

AMWill

carbed 427/tremec s197 on regular street tires:

The three passes I was able to make:

13.2335 @ 117.8mph - 60-ft 2.4210
13.3929 @ 96.59mph - 60-ft 2.1076
13.2358 @ 117.6mph - 60-ft 2.4134

I suppose that ain't too bad for my first time at a drag strip since 1985 in a car that ain't setup for that kind of racing.

I was lined up for my 4th run when the car started backfiring through the carb. Towed it home (no tools to fix it at the track) and found that the #2 intake rocker arm had come loose and the associated push rod is juuuuust slightly bent.

With better tires, this would be an 11-second car. With Nitrous, 10 seconds.

This is awesome man!

That trap speed should definitely be getting you well into the 11's!

Any videos of this thing running down the 1320'? I'd love to check it out.

-Will

redrocket16

Established Member
Were you out at Mustangs vs the world on Saturday? If so, I was out there for my first imte at a track as well. Had a great time and looking forward to my next trip already.

jsimmonstx

Established Member
This is awesome man!

-Will

The only one I know of was the run where I think I floated a valve. Unfortunately, my wife has absolutely no interest in the car, so I do all my meets/shows/ without a convenient videographer. :(

I wasn't concerned about beating the cars I was running against because I knew my 60-ft times would probably suck.

jsimmonstx

Established Member
This is awesome man!

-Will

The only one I know of was the run where I think I floated a valve. Unfortunately, my wife has absolutely no interest in the car, so I do all my meets/shows/ without a convenient videographer. :(

I wasn't concerned about beating the cars I was running against because I knew my 60-ft times would probably suck.

jsimmonstx

Established Member
Were you out at Mustangs vs the world on Saturday? If so, I was out there for my first imte at a track as well. Had a great time and looking forward to my next trip already.

Yeah, I was out there, but I broke the car at about 8:30 (just before I was lined up to make another pass) and had to be taken home on a flatbed. :(

redrocket16

Established Member
Yeah, I was out there, but I broke the car at about 8:30 (just before I was lined up to make another pass) and had to be taken home on a flatbed. :(

I think I saw the flatbed picking you up, sucks for sure. That was right around the time the guy fell off the bike. I wish I had seen your car out there bud.

AMWill

I understand that completely! At the end of the day you built the car for yourself so getting it on video to share is just a plus :-D

But in the future- I definitely want to see!

Good news - valve isn't bent, new push rod is in, and I drove it yesterday. Looks like I'm golden. :)

That's awesome man! I know all about those scares and the relief that hopefully follows.

keep up the good work with the build and let me know if you ever need anything.

-Will

jsimmonstx

Established Member
Video - my passes are at 0:18, 4:18, and 6:08, with a little bonus at 7:12 (me pulling out to get in line for tech inspection).

Users who are viewing this thread