First track day: Auto CJ 5.0 on streets

Bmatt88

Established Member
Hey everyone!

Long time lurker first time poster. Made it to the local track last night for a few passes. Here was the best of the night, beside my buddy in another 5.0. Honestly I expected a bit more out of mine. I'd like to be in the 11s in full street trim, no swapping tires, etc.

Thinking my tune is a little soft for one thing, oh and I'm at 3950lbs race weight with me in it.

My mods:
Bbk long tubes
Catted x pipe
'14 gt500 axle backs
Cobra jet manifold
Frpp mono blade
Frpp intake
Lund tune
Some bmr/Steeda rear suspension
On foundry 20s with 265 stock pirelli tires.

His mods:
mt82
Flow master outlaw axle backs
AED tune
Stock street tires

IMG_20170616_231954_429.jpg
20170616_165510.jpg

kingcobra323

Established Member
You Def need a converter and drag radials you will be golden. Mid to high 1.5s in 60ft

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Bmatt88

Established Member
I'm hoping I can get there without radials. It might be a long shot though. I think a converter and a 1 piece ds are in my future. I need to get some weight out somehow too. I hate stripped interiors but I know I could save 100+lbs taking the passenger and rear seats out.

How are my traps looking for my mods? Seem a little low to you guys? I think maybe I need to call up Mike rousch for a retune to get the most out of it.

Bmatt88

Established Member
I didn't get the actual da on Friday, but somewhere in the neighbourhood of 700ft.

Bmatt88

Established Member
For reference, the car I raced in the slip only has axle backs and a tune, 6 spd car, and I only had 3mph on him. Definitely expected a bigger gap.

kingcobra323

Established Member
Mph wasnt horrible. The seats are heavy especially leather. Id do DS after converter and drag radials. Before converter on street tires and drag radials my car ran pretty much the same. The stock stall really holds you back

Kiohtee

Established Member
I don't even know if I'd bother with a driveshaft myself. No doubt aftermarket is stronger and lighter, but a stalled auto on street tires at the track will never bite hard enough off the launch to break the factory one.

This gives me hope that I'll break into the 7s/11s with my setup though.

Bmatt88

Established Member
Looks like I better check into getting a circle d soon... And radials... Anyone race a circle d car on street tires? I'm thinking the stall will probably just make it blow the tires off and it won't be any benefit without radials, but I really want that 11 sec pass on street tires.

Also crossing a driveshaft off my list for the time being.

Thanks for the good answers guys!

kingcobra323

Established Member
Street Tires and my 3c were fun for doing burnouts down the road.. But wouldn't hook at the track

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
radials + stock stall and 3.15 gears = still tough to 60' (personal experience here) so I would vote for both stall+DRs.

Jesmith

Hi all, not to thread jack but I'm but guy in the right hand lane on that slip as well as the slightly overweight guy in the picture. I'm a little shocked he only had 2 tenths and a little under 3.5 mph on me given the modifications he has on his car. When my car was bone stock mt82 with 3.73 gears, I was hitting the limiter at the traps and only hitting 110 mph. Now with the AED tune I picked up 4mph and a almost 5 tenths in the 1/4. I figure a cobra jet auto car with longtubes should trap closer to 120mph? Either way I am ordering some race stars and 28 tall tires today because I want to get my tune only car hopefully down to 12.1. Not sure if it is possible but I'll try.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Maybe Matt would benefit more from an AED tune?

Anyways, the 20s are killing him performance. If he wants 11s he will need tires, hes done all the power mods already.

Bmatt88

Established Member
Looks like maybe 15x10 race stars, with 275/50/15 nt555r are going to be my best bet for a good daily/strip setup. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread