First Track outting.

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
http://youtu.be/W37eniDWuZI

Yesterday a few friends and I drove two hrs to the nearest track for some fun.

I was a little disappointed in the wheel hop. I knew it would happen, but hoped my skills were enough to get me around it somewhat. They did later on after a few passes and then the shifting became the issue.. I got the launch down pretty good slipping the clutch at 3k rpm's. The left lane was crap all night, so I tried to stay in the right when I could.

I found out that my car runs quicker being shifter at 6500 rather than 6000. But, slightly over that and it didn't want to go into gear.

No excuses, just lack of experience with the car. Next outting will result in better times.

I will just post the quarter time and mph on all except the fastest pass.

1--12.36@117
2--12.87@119
3--12.74@121!!
[email protected]
5--13.24@112.. missed second on my best 60ft of the night.. 1.82
6--best pass
60--1.84
1/8--7.6565
1/8mph--95.34
1/4 et/mph [email protected]ed 4th.

7--12.06@117... this was the last pass due to something getting into my fan and putting a hole in my radiator.. damn the luck.

I have this pass and a couple others on droidx video. wife's phone died on the 11.93 pass... go figure. I will post those here in a little while.

The Camaro I am racing in most videos is a 00Z/m6 with exhaust, 3.73's and LS6 intake and a tune that ran 12.78@109 on street tires.

mods on my car include:

steggy stage 5
4# lower
C&L CAI
o/r X and flowmasters
tri-ax
H&R springs
315 nittos on 9" wheels@ 22psi
and predator tuner

any comments or suggestions welcome unless you are a keyboard racer that hasn't ever drove by a dragstrip.

Thank you.

Last edited:

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I am still debating if I want to try some 1320' runs.

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
You're the guy who had to trailer the car back, right? Parked with the other Redfire Cobra, new Camaro's and 5.0s?

If so, I ran with you on that last pass. I was in the all black '08 GT that couldn't get traction worth a flip with my tires. I might have accidentally red-lighted you once as well (still getting used to the whole track thing). Your car is freaking nice and sounds great! Was curious as to what was leaking.

Last edited:

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
You're the guy who had to trailer the car back, right? Parked with the other Redfire Cobra, new Camaro's and 5.0s?

If so, I ran with you on that last pass. I was in the all black '08 GT that couldn't get traction worth a flip with my tires. I might have accidentally red-lighted you once as well (still getting used to the whole track thing). Your car is freaking nice and sounds great! Was curious as to what was leaking.

yes, that was me. I will have our pass loaded on streetfire here shortly. Something got into my fan and put a hole in my radiator. I have a new one ordered and a new fan here today since a couple of the blades were damaged on the other one. thanks for the compliments.

I did have a great time until the unfortunate mishap. lol We will be headed back in about a month. We are going to hit up Crandall sometime also.

89slowgt331

Established Member
Cool down between runs, try a lower pressure on the nittos 16-18 psi, pump the fronts to 45 psi, pull the front sway bar, for better info post in the time slip bar

Spoolx

Established Member
I guess I need to brush up on my driving skills and post some better times to get anyone's attention around here. lol

People around here dont like drag racing, now if you posted about a super cool new billet trim piece you would have 100 posts!

Grats man, times look good. I went 12.5 with just exhaust, I havent had a chance to get back out with the pulley

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
Cool down between runs, try a lower pressure on the nittos 16-18 psi, pump the fronts to 45 psi, pull the front sway bar, for better info post in the time slip bar

This and look in to some cobra r shocks for the rear, that helped my hop alot

jlbush

Established Member
Yesterday a few friends and I drove two hrs to the nearest track for some fun.

I was a little disappointed in the wheel hop. I knew it would happen, but hoped my skills were enough to get me around it somewhat. They did later on after a few passes and then the shifting became the issue.. I got the launch down pretty good slipping the clutch at 3k rpm's. The left lane was crap all night, so I tried to stay in the right when I could.

I found out that my car runs quicker being shifter at 6500 rather than 6000. But, slightly over that and it didn't want to go into gear.

No excuses, just lack of experience with the car. Next outting will result in better times.

I will just post the quarter time and mph on all except the fastest pass.

1--12.36@117
2--12.87@119
3--12.74@121!!
[email protected]
5--13.24@112.. missed second on my best 60ft of the night.. 1.82
6--best pass
60--1.84
1/8--7.6565
1/8mph--95.34
1/4 et/mph [email protected]ed 4th.

7--12.06@117... this was the last pass due to something getting into my fan and putting a hole in my radiator.. damn the luck.

I have this pass and a couple others on droidx video. wife's phone died on the 11.93 pass... go figure. I will post those here in a little while.

The Camaro I am racing in most videos is a 00Z/m6 with exhaust, 3.73's and LS6 intake and a tune that ran 12.78@109 on street tires.

mods on my car include:

steggy stage 5
4# lower
C&L CAI
o/r X and flowmasters
tri-ax
H&R springs
315 nittos on 9" wheels@ 22psi
and predator tuner

any comments or suggestions welcome unless you are a keyboard racer that hasn't ever drove by a dragstrip.

Thank you.

I just took mine to the track for the first time Friday. In the past I've been really nervous racing (in my 02 GT and it was slow! 13.40 car), however, I was cool and calm as can be. I only ran twice, got to the track a little late due to a road closure :fm: and they had a lot of breaks/cleans up.

My first run was 12.4 @ 119 with a 2.3 60'...First run it spun bad off the line, but didn't hop and once I got out a bit she hooked and went. Second run I heated the tires up a bit more (Street tires 315 Sumitomos...sucky tire but cheap!) and when I left it felt really good NOT to spin nearly at all. I left off of idle both runs. The run started off great but midway into first gear bad hop..pedaled...hopped again...shift to second started hopping once again pedaled one last time and it finally hooked and went 12.2 @ 118 with a 1.9 60' so with all things considered it was pretty much what I expected.

I had 2 hours in between my runs if that tells you how much cool down period I had!! Heck, I was more concerned about getting to proper operating temp by the time I got up to the line! Looks like your car can go well into the 11s especially with that 11.93 run while missing 4th. BTW my car had the steeda tri-ax when I bought the car and it was ok, tried a Pro 5.0 with only 3k miles from a buddy, went back to the tri-ax, and now have an MGW...MGW is by far my favorite and a lot quieter (granted I put CobraBobs shifter gasket on with the MGW and never had with the other two, but I still believe it's a much quieter shifter in general)..I don't know if you have a quadrant/firewall adjuster, but it helped on my GT and I believe it's helped with my 03 as well. Now, I didn't powershift at the track last Friday just because I don't feel consistent/confident enough yet with this car and it just seems a lot harder to shift this t-56, but did do a 2-3 powershift last night and it felt great :banana:

My advice would be get a stickier DR or you're always gonna be right there on the edge of spinning you @$$ off!!! That's of course if you're really trying to get your times down, but like me I don't really care too much about the times my cars true calling is on the street.......from a roll :thumbsup: Second thing is just the shifting aspect and the quadrant/firewall adjuster and possiblly even the MGW could really help with just more confident and consistent shifts.

Sorry to hear about the radiator :(

04nccobra

Established Member
I think you had some really good times considering all the problems with launch and shifting. Good job.

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
yes, that was me. I will have our pass loaded on streetfire here shortly. Something got into my fan and put a hole in my radiator. I have a new one ordered and a new fan here today since a couple of the blades were damaged on the other one. thanks for the compliments.

I did have a great time until the unfortunate mishap. lol We will be headed back in about a month. We are going to hit up Crandall sometime also.

Awesome. Definitely share the link once you do. :beer: And glad to hear it wasn't anything too major.

I haven't been to Dallas Raceway in Crandall yet, but I've heard that it's a really nice track. I live about 75 miles NW of Lufkin so I don't make it down to the track too often.

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
I just took mine to the track for the first time Friday. In the past I've been really nervous racing (in my 02 GT and it was slow! 13.40 car), however, I was cool and calm as can be. I only ran twice, got to the track a little late due to a road closure :fm: and they had a lot of breaks/cleans up.

My first run was 12.4 @ 119 with a 2.3 60'...First run it spun bad off the line, but didn't hop and once I got out a bit she hooked and went. Second run I heated the tires up a bit more (Street tires 315 Sumitomos...sucky tire but cheap!) and when I left it felt really good NOT to spin nearly at all. I left off of idle both runs. The run started off great but midway into first gear bad hop..pedaled...hopped again...shift to second started hopping once again pedaled one last time and it finally hooked and went 12.2 @ 118 with a 1.9 60' so with all things considered it was pretty much what I expected.

I had 2 hours in between my runs if that tells you how much cool down period I had!! Heck, I was more concerned about getting to proper operating temp by the time I got up to the line! Looks like your car can go well into the 11s especially with that 11.93 run while missing 4th. BTW my car had the steeda tri-ax when I bought the car and it was ok, tried a Pro 5.0 with only 3k miles from a buddy, went back to the tri-ax, and now have an MGW...MGW is by far my favorite and a lot quieter (granted I put CobraBobs shifter gasket on with the MGW and never had with the other two, but I still believe it's a much quieter shifter in general)..I don't know if you have a quadrant/firewall adjuster, but it helped on my GT and I believe it's helped with my 03 as well. Now, I didn't powershift at the track last Friday just because I don't feel consistent/confident enough yet with this car and it just seems a lot harder to shift this t-56, but did do a 2-3 powershift last night and it felt great :banana:

My advice would be get a stickier DR or you're always gonna be right there on the edge of spinning you @$$ off!!! That's of course if you're really trying to get your times down, but like me I don't really care too much about the times my cars true calling is on the street.......from a roll :thumbsup: Second thing is just the shifting aspect and the quadrant/firewall adjuster and possiblly even the MGW could really help with just more confident and consistent shifts.

Sorry to hear about the radiator :(

I was giving about 30-45 min between passes. My fastest pass was on a hotlap. I have a Fiore quadrant/FWA, and a Tri-ax. I have also been thinking of switching to a MGW, but I will for sure now after this outting. I never had problems shifting the T45/T5 cars. Thanks for the advice.

Who tuned your car?

It is just a pulley tune from Predator that I added timing and fuel to. I am wanting to learn more of this myself, but I do know my limits.

I think you had some really good times considering all the problems with launch and shifting. Good job.

thanks, I will be working on it and probably switching to a 16" wheel and ET street sometime.

Awesome. Definitely share the link once you do. :beer: And glad to hear it wasn't anything too major.

I haven't been to Dallas Raceway in Crandall yet, but I've heard that it's a really nice track. I live about 75 miles NW of Lufkin so I don't make it down to the track too often.

I am having difficulty uploading it right now, actually just trying to send it through email from my phone. I will get it up asap. Crandall is super nice, but not as relaxed as PVR. I live in Longview, it is 103 miles from my house to PVR and 105 to Crandall.

Users who are viewing this thread