First trip to the track on good tires

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Ok guys I think I may have a major problem and wanted to come in here to ask for yalls thoughts. I went to the track a couple weeks back to finally get some 1/4 times on my et street bias ply tires. I made a total of 4 passes in which my best pass consisted of a 12.7@102 missing fourth gear. Car cut a 1.9 sixty launching at 6,300 rpms. As soon as I would launch the car would slam me back and then fall flat on its face. Felt like it was bogging pretty bad. I was running 16.5psi in my tires that night. On the ride home me and my buddy decided to do a pull to check the AFR and it never got about 10.5. DA was very high this night. Temps were in the 80s and we probably had about a 20mph wind. I do have a video on my phone of this very pass but I can not upload it here at work. I worked my way up to the 6,300 launch and bogged everytime.

Mods are in sig.

mustang john

Established Member
A 1.9 sixty can be had on street radials, on ET Streets it sucks. A 12.7 is what a bone stock cobra on street radials can run. 10.5 isfat but that should only cost you 20-30hp. Your cobra with the mods in your sig should be a high 11 sec car on a bad day, a low 11 sec car on a good day and has 10 sec potential with a good driver and good conditions. Sounds like you need some seat time at the track. Either that or the car has some serious tune issues.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
A 1.9 sixty can be had on street radials, on ET Streets it sucks. A 12.7 is what a bone stock cobra on street radials can run. 10.5 isfat but that should only cost you 20-30hp. Your cobra with the mods in your sig should be a high 11 sec car on a bad day, a low 11 sec car on a good day and has 10 sec potential with a good driver and good conditions. Sounds like you need some seat time at the track. Either that or the car has some serious tune issues.

Yeah, there was a big question in my post that I was trying to get an answer to which is why in the world would my car bog off a 6300 rpm launch. Incase you missed that part that's why I was cutting the crappy 60' times. But again it did not matter what rpm I would launch at the car would bog off the line

Dark_5.0

Established Member
If you are bogging with a 6300 rpm launch then what tires you are running really doesnt matter. My car started bogging under a heavy load and it ended up being a blown head gasket. Hopefully its something simple but it definitely sounds like you have mechanical/tune issues to me. I would start with the basics and pull the plugs to make sure they are not melted.

mustang john

Established Member
Yeah, there was a big question in my post that I was trying to get an answer to which is why in the world would my car bog off a 6300 rpm launch. Incase you missed that part that's why I was cutting the crappy 60' times. But again it did not matter what rpm I would launch at the car would bog off the line

Massive belt slip? Might explain the bog and the fat tune. Wasnt dogging you its just when you post your best pass was missing 4th gear i would assume that you needed more seat time at the track, i have no idea how much track experience you have and its always easiest to start there.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Massive belt slip? Might explain the bog and the fat tune. Wasnt dogging you its just when you post your best pass was missing 4th gear i would assume that you needed more seat time at the track, i have no idea how much track experience you have and its always easiest to start there.

I don't think it's belt slip to be honest. Car has an 8 rib setup on it. But no I haven't made a lot of actual track passes but have ran the car numerous times. That night was the first time for me to ever miss a gear in the car. I may have been trying to shift a little to quickly that night which I tend to do at the track. But I'm thinking I need to change plugs, injectors, and get it retuned

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Well here is an update guys. We had a dyno day Sunday and I am very disappointed in my numbers. They are way down from where they are suppose to be even after having the car retuned while it was strapped on the dyno. Car put down 443/413 on the first pull. AFR dipped all the way down to 10.0. the AFR curve was WAY WAY off. After 4 pulls and some tuning the AFR curve was a lot better and only dipped down to 11.2 at 5,000 rpms. and the car put down 441/421. After talking with the previous owner I found out that I definitely need to change out my spark plugs. They have been in the car since March of 2009. To say the least I am pretty pissed off with how low my numbers are now but explains the shitty times.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Well here is an update guys. We had a dyno day Sunday and I am very disappointed in my numbers. They are way down from where they are suppose to be even after having the car retuned while it was strapped on the dyno. Car put down 443/413 on the first pull. AFR dipped all the way down to 10.0. the AFR curve was WAY WAY off. After 4 pulls and some tuning the AFR curve was a lot better and only dipped down to 11.2 at 5,000 rpms. and the car put down 441/421. After talking with the previous owner I found out that I definitely need to change out my spark plugs. They have been in the car since March of 2009. To say the least I am pretty pissed off with how low my numbers are now but explains the shitty times.

Who is tuning the car?

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member

What dyno?

whipplecharged0

Established Member
It was a dyno jet. We went back to the track Friday night. I wasn't planning on running my car so all I had was my Toyo proxy r888 radials on the car that are almost completely bald. Best pass I made all night was a 13.0@116 with a 2.2 60'. Car wasn't bogging the least little bit this night but I could not launch the car at any rpm without getting massive wheel hop causing me to have to completely get out of it and get back into it again. I even let one of the guys that everyone always claimed was the best driver in our area take my car down the track. He couldn't beat any of my passes.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
To say the least my trap speed shouldn't go down any any all. I did not spin any on any pass but wheel hopped like a mofo. So hopefully if I can finally get out of the hole this Friday I'll get my 11s pass. I know the car can do it in this heat and when it does it will give me a very good idea as to what it will do in the fall season with good air

mustang john

Established Member
I think the MPH is kinda low, a pullied ported eaton car should be in the low 120s without too much trouble. Sucks to say it but it sounds like you may wanna do a compression check since your dyno numbers are low and your tune was unexplainably fat also.
It wouldnt be the first Terminator to be running around with low compression causing low dyno and track numbers.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
In all honesty it sounds like some other things might be going on. Is the cars intercooler pump working? Doesn't matter how many mods you have as if this isn't working it will absolutely kill your times and mph as you will be down on power, iat2's will be through the roof and pulling timing. 116 isn't all that bad if something is up, ideally lower 120's would be the norm for your mods.

Users who are viewing this thread