Fixed the non glowing gauges. MOD

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
Hey everbody, I was very dissapointed when I realized you all were right about the needles not glowing, I thought for sure it was just the rheostat turned down low. At night the gauges are useless.

I don't know why ford removed the lighting in the Cobra, I guess to save money. :(

Well, look at the attached pics now... It took a lot of work and willingness to tear down the entire gauge cluster to it's component parts. Basically, I drilled holes into the plastic face that the individual gauges are screwed into. The holes were drilled 1/16 inch next to edge of the inside opening for the needle shafts. They were drilled to the diameter of some 12v 30ma light bulbs bought at radio shack. I ran them in parallel back to the rheostat on the light switch harness, (blue/white wire) and put the whole thing back together. It was a two day job or 8 hours of work, but I like the results.

If anyone wants details on this Mod lemme know.

What do you think?

SVT_SNK

steeringwheel.jpg

freehand.jpg

The first pics was steadied on the steering wheel, but the full shot of the dash was handheld, but you can still see the idea.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Wow! :thumbsup:

Very nice. I'm not sure I'm up to the task, but I sure like yours. :thumbsup:

Friendchicken

Very nice! Hey, aren't there multi-colored LEDs that you can use instead and hook them up so you can change the colors on the fly?

I know.... another 2 days to find out :D

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
98kobra...

Actually the two middle gauges (Speedo, RPM) are lit up by a 3.4 v White LED with a 620 ohm resistor. I REALLY thought about using a multi-colored LEDs but the needles will glow orange regardless, I tried with one blue LED and it was still orange.

SVT_SNK

Users who are viewing this thread