Fixing Bumper dings?

mrmustangman357

Established Member
Hi guys:

I have a 99 Cobra in Rio red that just rolled 100K miles. I am trying to remove some of the dings/chips on the front bumper that come with mileage. I applied the following, in an attempt to clean them up:
-Bug & Tar Remover (to get all bugs off)
-Simple green wipe (to ensure everything is off)
-Mothers Clay Bar to remove contaminants (at this point not much was picked up)
-Scratch Fix compound (which did a little
-Rubbing compound on a polisher with wool bonnet

All of these didn't really address the problem. As you can see below, more needs to be done.

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

What do you recommend to help reduce these ugly marks? I would prefer not to repaint but make it a little better

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
Most rock dings and chips like that aren't going to just come out with rubbing compound. They are so deep, that you would never level out the surface around them to make them disappear.

I know it really isn't what you want to hear, but the only solution that is going to make those defects go away is a re-spray.

Tispho

Established Member
Wet sanding might help, but won't remove it all. Just let it be if you are not gonna repaint it. Repaint is the best way.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
From that closeup it looks like bug guts have etched the paint pretty deep. If you know what you are doing you could wetsand and polish to help.

phillycobra99

Established Member
I don't know if they make a red colored wax but I used the Turtle Wax Black Box kit and it worked wonders on my front bumper and my bumper was 100 times worst than yours.

mrmustangman357

Established Member
I don't know if they make a red colored wax but I used the Turtle Wax Black Box kit and it worked wonders on my front bumper and my bumper was 100 times worst than yours.

Turtle wax used to make a colored wax with a wax pen that helped fill in a lot of scracthes. Hmm I checked at the store today but not stocked anymore. . .

Users who are viewing this thread