FL; Civil Matter; Tenant/Landlord

bnd3672

Established Member
Facts:

I am in the closing stages of a lease and have received notification from my landlord that he intends to bill me for the re-sodding of the front and back yard of the house. The cost of this likely exceeds the amount of the security deposit.

Security Deposit: $1,000
Pet Deposit: $500

The backyard lawn is in the same (many weeds, patchy) condition as it was upon commencement of the lease. The front lawn was in a similar condition, but has already been re-sodded.

The lease does not terminate until the middle of this month, yet the landlord has already re-sodded the front yard at a cost of 600 dollars. He states:

"As you are aware, I used $600 of your security deposit to replace the sod in the front yard. It will be necessary for me to use the remaining portion of your security deposit to complete the work in the backyard. Any expenses incurred over your deposit are also your responsibility."

I was not aware that the 600 was allocated from the security deposit. I assumed he was making land improvements independent of my habitance.

Florida statute 83.49(3) states that any declaration of withholding of security deposits is required to be sent to the tenant via certified mail. All contact from the landlord has been via e-mail. The statute continues: "If the landlord fails to give the required notice within the 30-day period, he or she forfeits the right to impose a claim upon the security deposit"

My lawn mower did break, and the landlord had the lawn mowed twice. I have no problem paying him back for having the lawn mowed. I do have a problem paying to have the yard re-sodded.

I don't particularly care if I don't get my deposit back. I, however, do not want to be held liable for expenses above the amount of my original $1,500 in deposits.

I have a good relationship with the landlord, as I have always paid rent, in full, on time; and I have kept the house in nice condition.

My thoughts:

This is, in my opinion, a home improvement project that the landlord is trying to have me pick up the tab for.

The lawn was not in good condition at the beginning of the lease. It is not in good condition now.

Here is my fault: I have always had positive rental experiences, and as such, I was very laid back in the pre-lease inspection, and marked the yard as "Move-In: OK". I didn't feel the need to state that the lawn had many weeds, and was patchy, but I was willing to accept it as-is. I don't have any pictures to document the pre-lease condition of the grass. (I have learned from this mistake! :beer:) I feel the landlord is taking advantage of my pre-lease passivity by buying himself a long-needed new lawn on my dollar.

Questions:

1.) Did I forfeit any claims to the pre-lease condition of the lawn upon making the statement "Move-In: OK", or can I argue the subjectivity of the statement in that I was OK with the condition of the lawn, however, it was not in ideal, like-new condition?

2.) If I lack any defense to the pre-existing condition of the lawn, is it still incumbent on the landlord to provide a preponderance of evidence that the damage occurred during my residence? How could he make a case that the weeds/patches were my fault?

3.) If it is determined that the lawn incurred damages during my residency, can I be held responsible for expenses the landlord made prior to my vacating the residence? Can it not be argued that I would have made efforts to remedy any adjustments/repairs to the property prior to the end of the lease, and thus should not be charged for expenditures made prior to lease termination?

4.) As stated earlier, the statement was received via email. My thought is to not address it, but instead, to wait for certified mail, as spelled out in the state statutes. I justify this thought with the reasoning from Florida Statute 83.49(3)(a), in that if I do not receive written notice via certified mail in the alotted time period, I am to receive the deposit in full. Is this wise?

5.) I feel like I know the answer to this, but can the landlord pursue expenses in addition to the original security deposit? Does this happen often?

6.) Would this be worth his time in a small claims court? As stated above, I don't particularly care if I don't get my deposit back, but I don't want to give him more than I already have. $1,500 is already a lot of money... I can't imagine any final amount he would pursue would be much higher than this.

7.) Other thoughts/advice?

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
What exactly is wrong with the lawn which requires its replacement with all new sod? How or why is the landlord holding you responsible for the lawn? Did you continually park cars on it and destroy it? Did you not mow it and it's now overrun with weeds? Did you not water it? What does the lease say about the lawn and your specific responsibilities for its upkeep, if any?

U.M.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I started to read your questions but you are trying to make them sound legal/technical and it hurt my head.

I am a Tampa Bay landlord. I have a bunch of residential properties and a few commercial properties. I deal with lawn issues all the time because of the unique nature of maintaining a lawn in Florida with all the diseases and insects. I am also a Florida license Attorney who has helped friends and co-workers involved in landlord tenant issues, however, I am not offering you legal advice.

The controlling document will be the lease. If the lease specifically states you are required maintain the lawn and prevent damage from disease and insects then you must do that. Being that this is Florida most professional leases make the tenant responsible for moving and watering but not pest/disease control.

Additionally, the landlord must give the tenant time to cure any deficiency he believes to exist during the lease period. If the landlord is going to use any part of the security deposit to repair the property due to a tenant deficiency, the tenant must be notified in writing prior to the landlord making any claim against the security as to give the tenant time to contest it or cure it on his own.

I would refer directly to the lease to see what you responsibilities are in connection to the lawn itself.

Also, did you happen to take pictures on your move in? Did the landlord?

Also, if the landlord made the repairs under threat of the HOA then there are other things at play and the details of the lease become even more important.

Was this rented through a management company or through the homeowner himself? If it is the homeowner, how many properties does he rent out?

There is a lot to this that cant be fully addressed here.

I would recommend consulting with a Florida licensed attorney in regard to this matter.

Disclaimer: This advice does not substitute for a full consultation with a Florida licensed attorney and I am not accepting you as a client.

bnd3672

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I realize this was a long, complicated read and highly appreciate input. I'm leaning toward consulting an attorney at this point...

What exactly is wrong with the lawn which requires its replacement with all new sod? How or why is the landlord holding you responsible for the lawn? Did you continually park cars on it and destroy it? Did you not mow it and it's now overrun with weeds? Did you not water it? What does the lease say about the lawn and your specific responsibilities for its upkeep, if any?

U.M.

There are dead patches. I don't know how he's holding us responsible, his exact quote was "the lease requires you to take care of the lawn and you did not". The lease is general, it states the lawn must be maintained in "good" condition. It also states the front must be watered twice a week. It does not mention any watering of the back yard (note: the back yard is what is currently in question, as the landlord already re-sodded the front yard before I moved out, and never consulted me about applying the deposit toward it prior to doing so), it does not mention pest control, or fungus control either. The lawn was not in good condition when we moved in. When we moved in, the lawn was very weedy, and slightly patchy. Now, some of those weed spots have died, so there are less weeds and more patches. I would estimate the lawn is 15-20% dead patch. I was dumb and did not take pictures, but I would imagine the landlords pictures are recent enough to show the lawn in it's state right before we moved in... How do they verify the dates on photos, anyway?

I don't know what the cause of the dead patches are. My best guess: I think they're due to a lawn service mowing too closely, since it died within 2-3 days after their service. I have no way of proving that, though. It may have had something to do with the existing weeds, could be fungus, pests... No idea.

My fault was letting the back yard grass grow for about 2 1/2 weeks while my lawn mower was out of order before the lawn crew was brought in. I've never heard of a lawn dieing because of this. If I find I'm wrong I'd happily pay for the back re-sod(only). The front was kept trimmed the entire time (it's smaller and manageable with a weed whacker).

I started to read your questions but you are trying to make them sound legal/technical and it hurt my head.

I am a Tampa Bay landlord. I have a bunch of residential properties and a few commercial properties. I deal with lawn issues all the time because of the unique nature of maintaining a lawn in Florida with all the diseases and insects. I am also a Florida license Attorney who has helped friends and co-workers involved in landlord tenant issues, however, I am not offering you legal advice.

The controlling document will be the lease. If the lease specifically states you are required maintain the lawn and prevent damage from disease and insects then you must do that. Being that this is Florida most professional leases make the tenant responsible for moving and watering but not pest/disease control.

Sorry for the wordy questions. I wanted to be clear, but I suppose the opposite effect was achieved.

The only specific mention of the lawn in the lease is that it must be contained in "good condition" and that the front (sprinkler zones 2 and 3) must be watered twice weekly.

Additionally, the landlord must give the tenant time to cure any deficiency he believes to exist during the lease period. If the landlord is going to use any part of the security deposit to repair the property due to a tenant deficiency, the tenant must be notified in writing prior to the landlord making any claim against the security as to give the tenant time to contest it or cure it on his own.

Does this mean the front lawn, which he communicated to me only verbally he was going to re-sod, and didn't mention using the security deposit for this purpose, is defendable on this basis? I read through the statutes but I didn't catch this, unless it's an interpretation of 83.49(3)(a) Do you happen to know if this is the statute you're referring to? I don't know which defense is better, that he didn't correctly notify me first or if it didn't need it. Both are true.

Also, did you happen to take pictures on your move in? Did the landlord?

I, unfortunately, did not. I've been renting throughout my undergraduate degree (this is the end of my fourth year) and never had any problems. The landlord did take pictures. I assume his pictures are recent and honest, however after this I don't put anything past him. How is the date of his pictures verifiable??

Also, if the landlord made the repairs under threat of the HOA then there are other things at play and the details of the lease become even more important.

There was no HOA involvement. The front lawn was better than average for the neighborhood before being replaced. The back is worse, but is covered 360 degrees by a 6 foot fence and not visible from anywhere but in the house. The back is slightly worse than the average lawn in the neighborhood.

Was this rented through a management company or through the homeowner himself? If it is the homeowner, how many properties does he rent out?

Homeowner himself, this is his only property. He is only renting it because he moved and doesn't want to sell this house in the current market.

I would recommend consulting with a Florida licensed attorney in regard to this matter.

Disclaimer: This advice does not substitute for a full consultation with a Florida licensed attorney and I am not accepting you as a client

I'm considering taking your advice and consulting an attorney. I don't know if I should do it at this point, or wait for a statement from the landlord via certified mail in regards to the deposit, as required in FS 83.49(3)(a). All contact to this point has been through e-mail. I haven't replied to it yet, and don't know if I should. Any thoughts here?

I realize it's not a consultation and you're not accepting me as a client. I do, however, highly appreciate any thoughts.

Do you know any FL Attorneys you would recommend for this sort of thing?

Thanks again all...

Last edited:

bnd3672

Established Member
Here are photos of the back, for reference:

I didn't have a chance to take pictures of the front before it was re-sodded. But there were no patches in the front, just a couple weeds.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Mike based on what you said, if accurate, then you maintained the lawn by watering and having it mowed. From the best I can tell that looks like Florida insect damage. The unless otherwise agreed to, the landlord is the one responsible for pest control of the lawn. Additionally, to use your deposit to fix a deficiency without giving you notice or time to cure is a violation of the statute.

I suggest you call the Florida Bar and ask for a referral or go to The Florida Bar HOME PAGE FLABAR ONLINE.

Users who are viewing this thread