Flashing Cruise Control Light & Speed Limited to 45 mph

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
This weekend I was driving my Boss on a road rally with a few other guys. We were driving somewhat aggressively, but nothing crazy. It was about 90°, and I had the A/C on. Car was running fine, and all temps looked fine. We stopped for about 10 minutes to grab some food, then got back on the road.

After maybe a mile, the cruise control light starting flashing green, and my speed was limited to 45 mph. I shut the A/C off, thought maybe the car was getting hot and it was a limp mode or something. But when I slowed down to about 20, and punched it, I had full power until 45, then the power was cut. I let the car coast in neutral a bit and it got above 45, and just tried to rev the car but nothing until I slowed down below 45. There was no check engine light.

Pulled off, shut the car down. Popped the hood and no evidence of overheating. Started the car 5 minutes later, and it was totally fine. No flashing cruise light and no speed limiter. I was a little gentle on the car for a few miles, and was able to leave the A/C off as we started driving up to a mountain where it was cooler. I then proceeded to hammer on it to see if I could get the same result, but it ran perfect.

Any idea of what this was? Called my local Ford service department, and they said if it was overheating and going into limp mode, the check engine light would flash and it would pull timing to limit power. They had never heard of the issue I described.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Wow I'm dumb, that didn't even cross my mind. I know I didn't activate it, never touched the cruise buttons. Must have just been some weird electrical issue that caused it come on. Well I know that feature works now! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread